Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,
I work at an upscale nursery that has an upper middle class to wealthy class clientel. As a result I see many mercedes come in and out throughout the day. I have noticed that many of the people who own a mercedes own one because of the name brand status symbol factor rather than because of the the worksmanship or quality. These people never would get their hands dirty and know little about the workings of the car. While the car may be well maintained by the dealership for a few years the owners usually lease or just buy new every 4-5 years years. Have you guys noticed such attitudes with people who own new mercedes instead of 25 year old classic ones, who actually really care and are fanatic about their cars? I wonder if the original owners my 300d were like the people mentioned above.

·
Registered
83 300 d t
699 Posts
i dont know about original owner of my car but the last owner who sold me the car ask me about it all the time . he talks about the quality and every thing else he
liked about car every time i see him. there are lot of people with new benz in this fourm and iam sure they care about the quality of car or they would not post in this fourm

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im sure there are many new owners of the cars who really do care about their cars--we have a consentration of them on this website! But there is also a large group who are just out for the status symbol "bling bling factor which irritates me

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
I think both sides are very present. Up at the club I work at there are several new AMG owners: 2 e55's an s55 and two sl55's. One of the e55 owners really cares about the car. It always looks great and he is always talking about it. The car is awesome and you can show he cares about it. He also really knows his AMG stuff. The s55 owner treats the car like crap. It has scratches and a few dings and I don't think I've seen it clean in the two years I've been up there. The two sl55 owners seem to keep the cars clean but they just drive them for the status. The are mid-aged women and you know their husbands bought the car...maybe it was part of the deal in getting married.

So while I have seen more older mercedes well cared for, I think it is probably an even split. You have to remember most of the w123's you see on the road are those that have been ownerd by people who have cared about them. While a mercedes was a bigger deal back in the day, some people still didn't treat them too well. Around here there are a ton of w124's and you can see who cares and who doesn't. A lot of them are just about done and ready to be scrapped.

It is a shame people don't appreaciate their autos but that is just the way it goes. For many people the idea of something is a lot more important than that actual thing.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
One observation I really like is when you are at a stoplight or when you pass another W123 where the driver turns and either smiles or gives a thumbs up.

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
I got a smile from a completely white haired lady who was driving a pristine 220D when I waved to her in my 240D.

It's more comfortable to gesture to older people than to others who have rather heavily worn W123's which I see daily. They seem to look grumpy or really just aren't benz enthusiasts....perhaps out of work actors who picked them up for cheap some time ago.

G

·
karugs said:
One observation I really like is when you are at a stoplight or when you pass another W123 where the driver turns and either smiles or gives a thumbs up.
u can tell, using that system..........

some (1 in 4 around here) wave right back, and smile, and turn their heads to look at the Coupe-ness, while others dont even notice you, and/or look away when they see u waving/noticing them..........

·
Registered
1981 240D
858 Posts
ever since getting my 123 i've stupidly thought there might be a nice little MB community where we wave to each other all the time (like we do on motorcycles) but alas, it is not so.

I thought maybe the drivers of new mercedes would do a double take and admire the quality of the brand, since cars like mine are still driving around today. Nope...too busy yapping on their phone and being pompus.

So I thought, well maybe the older 201s and 126s I see occasionally might look at wave. Nope, just keep right on driving.

Thankfully, there's a '79 240D in my town that i see sometimes and we wave or flash our headlights at each other. He stopped once to ask what year it was, how many miles were on it, and to remind me to change my oil but that's been it so far. I've seen a 300D parked nearby but never anyone driving it...i guess we'll see how friendly he is someday.

·
Registered
'83 300TD, '91 300SE, '85 230TE
42 Posts
The first owner of my 300TD certainly loved it! (looks smug as he gathers crackling old parchments) He was a lieutenant stationed in Germany, and bought the car off the Stuttgart production line in '83. He imported the car with him when he moved back here, now a captain, and kept the car until '95. Since then Uber Huge has graced 4 slovenly, slack-jawed owners, until he found his soulmate in March this year.

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
I notice a LOT more people who look at my BMW appreciatively than the Mercedes. Only once in a great while do I see other Mercedes drivers looking at my car and every so often people in other cars. When I drive the BMW, just about half of the people I see in other BMW's and almost everybody in VW's and Audi's look at the car and watch it as I pass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts