Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking delivery any time of a Mercedes Benz 280SE Automatic. This is my first car so I need to understand it more so that I can get maximum mileage and take good care of it. Could anyone out there be prepared to share with me an owner's manual and tips for running this beauty.<p>My address is P.Box 621 Chitungwiza Zimbabwe.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Congratulations!!!I too am a proud owner of a '71 280SE! I would say that without a doubt that it's the best car I have owned, despite all the little problems taht one would expecet for an old car. The old engines are strong and require minimal repairs if regular maintainance is carried out. A few things to look out for are external oil leaks from the block and the sump and leaks from the transmission. Mine leaves no oil when it is parked, but seems to leak when the car is mobile.<br>Another thing to be wary of is the cars fuel pump. It is definantly worth finding out which kind you have. This model was built with two different kinds, an electric and a mechanical electric. Hope and prey that you have the non-mechanical kind. Unfortunately mine has a mechanical pump and seized up, resulting in having to shell out a small fortune to import a new replacement (something along the lines of AUD $1000). The non-mechanical pump is around AUD $700 cheaper.<br>Expect small things, such as the inner wall of the front tyreswearing a little faster than the rest of the tyre, due to the camber angle of the wheels which is very common with this model. I do have the original owners manual, and would glady photocopy it for you and post it, but not today, it is at home and I am at work. feel free to contact me! [email protected]<br>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts