Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1988 420SEL, for sale
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the OVP relay. The one in the car had one fuse on top. The wiring harness only used the pins for one fuse. Replacement part web sites for 1988 and newer call for the two fuse version. That's what I put in, and it works okay. But I could have saved $5 getting the one fuse version.

My question: what year and model car do you have, and does yours originally come with one fuse or two (not counting replacement OVPs)? I'd be interested to see where the changeover actually occurred, since 1987 and earlier call for the one fuse part number, and 1988 and newer call for two fuses.

Photo shows the newest version with two fuses.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Mine (1988) used to be one-fuse originally, but when it went bad it was replaced with the two-fuse OVP. I called a couple of MB dealers' parts department and both places confirmed it was the correct thing to do - they did mention two-fuse version superceded the single one but didn't know when.

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
i have a 91' 560sel U.S. spec i know i have said this before but i still have no fixed that "ABS" problem the one where the light goes on and the car just accelerates yup very dangerous neways is this the stuff that i need to replace??? i go everywhere and all the mechanics look at me like i'm crazy they have no idea what OVP is... so this is what i need for my benz right? well this is what i need to replace?

·
Registered
1988 420SEL, for sale
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"If in doubt, swap it out."

That's an old electronics saying. Might be useful in your case. Sure couldn't hurt.

Now, which one does your car have, one fuse or two? It's located between the firewalls on the driver side.

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
i'm pretty sure 2 neways where can i get these do u think i can get em at the local gas station?

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
No, try one of the sponsors here or get it from the local MB dealer. It is an MB specific part.

On second thought, if you are thinking about switching just the ATC fuses in the relay, you may have a chance of getting them at a local auto store or at Walmart, but it's better to just replace the whole unit in your case.

I urge you to just go ahead and do it ASAP. It really is a dangerous condition.

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
i think i am gonna just get it done at the MB dealership in Bayside. Helms broz neways how much do u think they are gonna charge me i mean either way i'ma get it done because yes it is very dangerous

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
by the way has neone had the "abs" problem like me and changed the OVP relay before? i'm gonna go get it done as soon as i can neways after i change them will the ABS problem come back????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts