Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my 2011 e350 wagon to dealership for oil change last week. Manager told me I need a new transfer case seal ( $1,335), new rear differential seal ($1,315), new rear brake line ($4,000), new rear suspension leveling links ($765). Car has 80k miles and KBB value of $13k. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 E320 Bluetec, 1988 560SL totalled unto death). 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, 1983 300CD
1,317 Posts
Only suggestion I will offer is to find a good independent mechanic. I would not go back to that dealer. Did you get under the car to look at those leak sources yourself? Is your garage floor covered with oil? None of those seals should have failed at 80k miles. $4k to replace a brake line is absurd and dishonest. Even including a brake bleeding, it should be no more that 1.5 labor hours.

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,526 Posts
Although "Motown" Paul might be a clue to your whereabouts, you haven't yet filled out your profile or mentioned the name of the dealer. I agree with Rocky's recommendation to find a good INDY garage, but if we knew exactly where you are, the recommendations could be a little more specific. In either case, I wouldn't go back to that dealer!

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,196 Posts
Brought my 2011 e350 wagon to dealership for oil change last week. Manager told me I need a new transfer case seal ( $1,335), new rear differential seal ($1,315), new rear brake line ($4,000), new rear suspension leveling links ($765). Car has 80k miles and KBB value of $13k. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Interesting....a simple oil change visit.... gets you this offer??
That's why they call them $tealer$hip$.

He's funding his grand daughter's children's education fund.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
110 Posts
Typical stealership crap. The other day I went to my local MB stealership to buy some parts and I took my indy mechanic with me. While we were buying parts manager asked me if I could talk to him in private. Ok. He asked me if we could take a look at a gl diesel because his mechanics can't figure it out. We towed the car to my mechanic's shop and fixed it in two hours. Not only that they are thieves but most of stealerships HAVE NO FREAKING CLUE about MB cars.

Another example. Two weeks ago a guy with a sprinter called me and told me he had the "remaining starts" error on the dash and that he towed the car to the stealership and got a 9k estimate. I asked him details and he said he simply ran out of Def or adblue (whatever you want to call it). He asked if I can help. I went at the stealership and, in the parking lot, I filled up the Def, removed the code (I have an MB subscription account), cleared his dtc's and sent him on his way. 20 min thing. Car's been running perfectly since then, no codes or other issues, checked it again this morning. Basically stealership tried to charge him 9k for a 20 min code erase. Simply disgusting

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,389 Posts
To paraphrase Forrest Gump: "Run Paul, run!!!" away from that friendly dealer.

@ciprianmuresan those are just shocking eye openers. Horrible stuff.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,324 Posts
Typical stealership crap.
Ditto. The "courtesy inspections" aka "revenue generator" seldom will leave you with less than $5000 of "recommended work" .
Seems all dealers and even some indies do such inspections, the only difference is the final number. I experienced that some of those inspections are done from comfort of office chair as covers don't have any signs of removal
Id you DIY, you just do your own check.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,738 Posts
Here is a blast from the past....some things never change

·
Registered
1999 ML320
110 Posts
Here is a blast from the past....some things never change

OMFG !!!

·
Registered
2017 C300h estate.
53 Posts
Here in the UK the dealership send you a copy of the video they take when they do an inspection.

That way you see what they see when walking around and under the vehicle.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
110 Posts
Here in the UK the dealership send you a copy of the video they take when they do an inspection.

That way you see what they see when walking around and under the vehicle.
Are the dealerships in the UK 100% independent from the MB corporate or MB has some control over them? Because here in the USA they not only are completely independent but corporate has absolutely zero control. Don't ask me how I know, I had to sue in court to find out. Both MB dealer and Volvo trucks dealer, it's basically all brands.

·
Registered
2017 C300h estate.
53 Posts
All the various retailers are franchised but the corporations still maintain control.

This makes it interesting because different dealerships offer different pricing for servicing etc, also parts prices vary across the country.

For example I phoned my local MB parts dept for a new Sat nav sd card and was £400, an MB dealers in the north east were selling the same card for £90 delivered.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
110 Posts
All the various retailers are franchised but the corporations still maintain control.

This makes it interesting because different dealerships offer different pricing for servicing etc, also parts prices vary across the country.

For example I phoned my local MB parts dept for a new Sat nav sd card and was £400, an MB dealers in the north east were selling the same card for £90 delivered.
Same here. The difference is that if you have a disagreement here with the stealership and you call MB they can't do anything. Can't or don't want to, I don't know. Decades ago when I was living in Germany I had a disagreement with a local MB dealership, called MB and next day a MB semi truck ( or TIR or lorrie how you call it) was parked in front of my house. Fully equipped with all tools and mechanics, MB factory owned team and equipment . They fixed the car for free (was even out of warranty) and apologized for hours. Never went back to the dealership. God, I miss Europe when it comes to customer service and work ethic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts