Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. All of my toys have to occasionally due something of value to warrant me finding time, money and space to keep them. My Mog is no exception, in fact, I always have the most fun and feel the best about my stuff when it's doing something useful (also keeps me being able to say "see, Honey, just saved a boatload 'cause I could do this myself"). I've carried a few pretty good loads in my 1300L, probably grossing several thou over the around 16 she is rated for. Done this many times with my other military stuff many thousands over placarded gross with no problems, but always conscious of bearing temps usually kept reasonable by the fact that in almost all cases it was a big overload for a short distance at relatively low speeds. With my 1300 I know she was heavy, but still on the springs and the hubs, though warm, never got hot enough so you couldn't rest your hand on them. So, question is, how tough are these portal axles? Am I screwing myself by occasionally carrying three yards of topsoil at 30 MPH for 10 miles? Opinions and examples of what you have done without problems if you please. Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
Sold .....1987 U1250 Unimog
1,011 Posts
well 3 yards of topsoil is about 6-9K lbs depending on how wet it is... if your springs aren't bottomed out I think your ok, and don't forget you have 2 axles so that is only 3-4 thousand an axle... to compare your load this past winter I had a Schmidt 3.4 plow on the front and 4000 lbs of sand in the back. I was sitting at 19,000 lbs when I got the sand or 8,618 Kg. Im rated for 10,000 KG It was a stiff ride, but I didn't see any issues with the stance, or bottoming out. in fact after the snow was gone I left the sand in the back for a few months and I think it rides better with it, I ramped it with and with out the sand on a pile of dirt and I personally believe it handled it better with the sand then without.

I figure your 1300 ready to pickup dirt is about 8,000 lbs and your gross is 16,534 lbs or 7500Kg so you should have at least 8,000 lbs avaliable. you may be close to max, but I wouldn't even worry about it, These things are designed to be used. remember the GVW is controlled by many factors

Tires,
rims,
axles,
brakes,
frame,
Legal issues... Example the new 5500 and 4500 dodge are only rated for 26,000 lbs... NO CDL needed. but the 5500 could easily handle more.
customer demands.

Don't forget many of the 1300 are medic, fire, trucks and have masive weight all the time, your occasional load of dirt isn't going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think my 1300 is a bit heavier than 8,000 to start with, ex fire truck with rear hydraulic winch and now with Henderson contractor dump body. I may go weigh whole truck and rear axle at the truck stop this morning and then I'll know what it really has on each axle. I should probably know for the camper box I want to build and change out with the dump bed anyway. I was figuring about 7-8K for the dirt load, probably more for the busted up concrete load that I hauled when I replaced the front porch (27'x6'xvarying thickness). I really like this mog, but I also like to use, but not abuse, my stuff, andf I consider my trucks as much tools as toys. my 15.5 XL's are WAY over any weight I'd end up with a load, it was just the axles and their portal reductions that I was concerned with, these being the first I've had. I know lot's of guys here play with their mogs, but didn't know who really made them work for part of their living. Knowing farmers and forestry guys, Mercedes had to consider that some Unimogs in these industries would be worked hard, but most I see in Trucktors pictures seem to have the heavier axles. I guess I'll figure that she will be OK as long as I stay on the springs.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,451 Posts
I figure your 1300 ready to pickup dirt is about 8,000 lbs and your gross is 16,534 lbs or 7500Kg so you should have at least 8,000 lbs avaliable.
No way. :)

My 416 DoKa hits the scales at 9K wet. A U1300 would weight a lot more then that.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, here's the hard facts. Jane's lists the military 1300l in standard base trim at 5250 kilos or 11,550 lbs. My truck has additional equipment of turbo for engine, engine driven hydraulics, hydraulic rear winch with 55 meters (abt 175 ft) of 1/2 in cable, cab overhead console w/stereo and intercom, Henderson 10 ft drop side dump body with it's own hydraulic system (like a snow plow), and 15.5 Xl's. And the grand total is......12740 lbs. distributed 6760 on the front and 5980 on the rear. The large tires weigh a good bit more than the standard 12.5's but while adding to overall scale weight, don't count against payload. From the manual, the bed is about 2K and the hydraulic lift cylinder and it's separate hydraulic motor and pump are very close to the cab, so if the bed were off I think both axles would see a significant reduction. I wanted to know so I could estimate how different approaches to a camper box would affect weight distribution. I think three yards of topsoil put me close to 20K. Gees I like these trucks :).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.