Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL, 1985 500SL, 1986 560SL
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the issue. My brother was driving his 300SL from Reno to OKC and it overheated as he left Nevada. So he had it towed to MB of Las Vegas and they said he needed $6000 worth of work.
-Thermostat
-Radiator
-Hoses
-Head Gasket.

Needless to say he passed on that and towed it out to me.

I am comfortable replacing all of those parts, but the only one that I can imagine of those things that would keep it from starting is the blown head gasket causing a compression loss. So my plan is the following:

-Compression test
if the cars fails compression then I will go ahead with the valve/head gasket job, I figure I would get the valves down while the head is out.

But if the compression is ok, like all above 100psi, I am going to have it towed to a shop because I do not have the equipment or know-how to diagnose this model of benz. Thoughts on my plan or why it may not be starting?

Thank you very, very much, Bill

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,085 Posts
Testing compression is part of the diagnosis. You should also test for spark and fuel delivery next.

·
Registered
90 300SL
554 Posts
Overheating is likely head gasket or the gasket went while overheating due to other cooling system failure. Head gasket is not uncommon for this engine (I had to do mine). A leak down test would help further pinpoint issue.

So it wont restart at all now?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts