Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes Benz 240d
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i just replaced my radiator about 2 months ago and my car was running perfectly at 180 with or with out the a/c on. For the past couple of weeks now i have noticed an increase in my temperature. Now when i start my car to let it warm up for about 10 minutes in the morning it will be at 225. So i checked my hoses and standing in front of the car the top hose is hot, but the bottom one that is coming off the thermostat housing is cold... Could this be a thermostat problem? I hope i explained it correctly. I also just changed out my water pump in November. The hoses that are on the car are original from 1983 but they are not leaking anywhere. My anti freeze is fairly new but has become a little brownish green so im just at a lost for words. The thermostat was also purchased new in November. This is for a 1983 MErcedes BEnz 240d

·
Registered
1978 mercedes 300D "silver streak" 2000 Mercedes ML320 1994 W124 Mercedes e500
41 Posts
Did you do a coolant "flush" when you replaced your radiator? Because that has a tendency to break off rust chunks and loosens others so when you get a new cooling system (that flows faster than the last one) it breaks off those loose prices and gets them stuck in the water pump and radiator. Just my guess.

Or it could very well be a failed (failing to open, or open completely) thermostat (these new ones are crap and don't last nearly as long as the originals) so I'd check that by removing and putting in boiling water to see if it opens fully

Was your overheating gradual over weeks (go from 180 to 190 to 200, etc.?) or was it sudden (from 180 to 225?). Gradual suggests rust buildup while sudden suggests thermostat.

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes Benz 240d
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was gradual, I just flushed out the radiator with a garden hose and its still doing the same thing... it running at 230. when i filled up the radiator after flushing, i did notice that the water never went down for me to continue filling it.I also have another question, when i change the thermostat do i have to remove the fan shroud when doing it? i know it takes a 10mm socket , im trying to figure out how to get to that bottom bolt:confused: without having to remove alot of stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts