Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
Drove the 190d (87 euro 2.0L 4spd) in heavy traffic and watched the needle rise to about the 110-115 degree area of my temp guage this weekend. The auxillary cooling fan (I have just one on the driver's side) never came on. I also never heard any fan noise from under the hood either. I eventually avoided overheating by running the heater...

I am nearly certain I have the "Magnetic Fan Clutch" on my model- the fan can be spun freely in either direction by hand when the car is running at idle and normal running temp.

Is there any way to TEST this fan clutch?

Also- is there some sort of temp sensor that may have caused these fans NOT to come on? If so- where is it, and is there a way to test it?

Please post or email- thanks in advance- John

·
Registered
1984 190E 2.3 8v
119 Posts
the magnetic fan is tested pretty well the way you did. Once you are in "overheat mode", turn off the car, return the key to the run position (do not start) and see if there is any resistance in the fan. The reason the Aux fan did not come on is you had not yet hit the High set point for them.

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well- I let her warm up again to check the fan clutch- and got nada at 100-105 degrees. The fan just spun loosely in either direction.

I did see that on the connector it is kinda soupy with some old black oil which is probably gunking up the connection, but I am also wondering about the condition of my engine temp sensor.

First- anyone know where it is on a 2.0L/2.2L motor? (there's another guy trying to find his too!)

Next- I plan to check the fan clutch by wiring directly to the battery, and then get the motor hot and check the output to the harness with a multimeter.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? It will have to wait a few days, but I hope to start spending some time on this pretty soon.

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back from a conference- will try and take a look tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 1986 190e 2.3 16v...I was experiencing same kind of problem. I solved my problem by cleaning the connection terminals. Seems like the electromatic clutch for the fan was not receiving any electricity to magnetize the clutch. Once the clutch is magnetized, it grabs the fan and the fan turns. Once the clutch is magnetized, do not try to stop the fan or you may lose a finger or hand.

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the car not running and cold, I went ahead and shorted the magnetic clutch connectors with jumper wires to the battery and was met with a sweet "CLICK!" The fan clutch held very firm as well- so I can rule out the magnetic clutch itself. I cleaned the connectors as well- they were fairly gunky. (I did the best I could with a rag, but will need to pick up some solvent to do a more thorough job). We'll try the heat test tomorrow, and if the clutch doesn't engage I'll order a new engine temp sensor.

I still don't know why the engine temp sensor has one terminal that is not connected to anything, or if this is SUPPOSED to be the case though...J

1 - 7 of 7 Posts