Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys well ive been driving my 280se for about a month straight as a daily driver and i noticed that the car would overheat in city driving. It would at times redline at times and cool down when the car begins to moves again. I did notice that the radiator cap is for 7 lbs of pressure and off the bat i think that part was wrong. i wanna switch out the thermostat also.
I also noticed the idle will surge when it over heats and this tends to cool it down a bit. Heres a video of the car at almost redline. the motor and radiator were warm to the touch but not hot.
So if you guys can give me a hand with this it would be greatly appreciated.
I could post more videos of specific things if it will help trouble shoot my problem. Thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
First change the thermostat, check the coolant level, replace radiator cap if it appears worn-out.

Than check the operation of the fan. It can have a fan clutch, temperature-controlled, but they can fail over time.

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
You've also got a coolant circuit that turns on an electric fan at 212 degrees. Do your fans work?

·
Registered
2003 230 Kompressor, 1970 280SL, 1991 300SL, 1970 SEL Limo
111 Posts
There are a few things you can do. 1. get a new cap for sure. 1.2 bar is correct. 2. Replace your thermostate as Govert mentioned. 3. You may want to install a heater bypass. This allows more water flow thru the head. 4. And make sure your fan is comming on when needed.

·
Registered
1966 300se coupe
47 Posts
Mine did the same thing. It turned out to be the fan clutch. As mentioned, check the electric fan also.

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
There are a few things you can do. 1. get a new cap for sure. 1.2 bar is correct. 2. Replace your thermostate as Govert mentioned. 3. You may want to install a heater bypass. This allows more water flow thru the head. 4. And make sure your fan is comming on when needed.
All MB caps are marked with '100', meaning 1.0 atm. Where did you get 1.2?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts