Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 E63s AMG
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my overhead lamps stopped working. Not one, but both of them. The lamps right next to the trip computer that look like bug eyes. Since both went out at the same time. I assumed it was a fuse. I searched the fuses today and none were labeled for those lamps. Then I pulled every fuse and all were fine???? Wiring problem??? Add to my list of dealer problems??? Of maybe as simple as bulbs??? I cannot imagine both going at the same time. But who knows???

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
21,214 Posts
Off hand, I'm not sure which fuse these are on, but did you also check the fuse panel behind the front passenger kick-panel? I recall some of the center console fuses being there as opposed to under the hood. If that's not it, you could have a wiring or AAM problem. Are you experiencing any other electrical gremlins?

- RODNEY

·
Registered
2014 E63s AMG
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No other problems noticed. I checked the fuses in the kick panel and they are fine as well???

·
Registered
2014 E63s AMG
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone have any suggestions? It is going to the dealer after winter, but if it simple, I rather just fix it myself.

·
Registered
98 ML 320, BMW 3 series
130 Posts
They are on a shared fuse with the dash illumination I think. I've blown that fuse a few times on my 98 ML while working on those overhead lamps.

If you are not experiencing any other things not working it may just be the bulbs, easy fix, give it a try.

Also, I think the later ML's like yours have a bypass switch on those lights so they don't come on when you open the doors, give that a check.

·
Registered
'82 300 SD
5 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I checked the fuses by the door and they seem to be ok. I even replaced the cluster fuse and that didn't change anything. The passenger overhead lights don't work either and if there is an interior override control, I can't find it.
Thanks

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
21,214 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I checked the fuses by the door and they seem to be ok. I even replaced the cluster fuse and that didn't change anything. The passenger overhead lights don't work either and if there is an interior override control, I can't find it.
Do the lights come on if you press on the lenses to turn them on manually? Or is the problem just that they do not illuminate when you open the door? If they will not come on at all, then they either aren’t getting power (bad connection, bad fuse) or the bulbs are blown (it could happen, but it would be rare for both simultaneously). If they come on that way but not when you open the door, it is likely because of the switch setting.

There is a switch on the overhead console (at least on later models, starting maybe with MY2000) that disables the interior lights from illuminating when a door is opened. It’s a black switch right next to the sunroof switch (it’s made just like the ESP and Low Range switches). If you press the forward half, it will toggle to a “pressed� state and disable the lights. Pressing the rear half so that the switch sits flush will enable them. Pressing the rear half further will engage a monetary switch that will alternate turn the rear passenger lights on and off.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rodney

Thank you for pointing out the function of the switch located on the overhead console. My dome lights did not work and I was trying to find out what caused it. I ran into your explanation (which I am copying below) and saved my day.
Thank you again.
John

Rodney wrote: .........
There is a switch on the overhead console (at least on later models, starting maybe with MY2000) that disables the interior lights from illuminating when a door is opened. It’s a black switch right next to the sunroof switch (it’s made just like the ESP and Low Range switches). If you press the forward half, it will toggle to a “pressed� state and disable the lights. Pressing the rear half so that the switch sits flush will enable them. Pressing the rear half further will engage a monetary switch that will alternate turn the rear passenger lights on and off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts