Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1991 500SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys I'm doing a bit of an overhaul on my 1991 500SL

I've got the cooling system apart and the serpentine belt off the motor.

I've had a bit of an overheating problem - it never went over 120c but I was getting cold patches on the radiator -

I've ordered the following parts

-Thermostat
-Viscous Fan hub
-Radiator

Also non related to the cooling I'm doing the belt tensioner & belt - I get a squeak on a kickdown upshift from 1st - 2nd and sometimes 2nd - 3rd

I also have a couple of niggles round the car - for some reason on cold mornings my drivers - i.e RH - door mirror decides to keep adjusting outward for about 20 minutes.. then after that its fine... I've disconnected the circuit from there but I've lost my power passenger mirror and my power rear view.

Next up - is I'm trying to firm up my suspension - do you guys find that when you stiffen the car up you get bad scuttle shake with the roof down? I'm looking at doing all of the front bushes in a urethane setup and new bilsteins and some springs ( springs for these seem hard to find )

Also - Should my car have an LSD? as it seems that only under occasional circumstances will both wheels break traction.. or is it quite a soft viscous variety?

I'm trying to keep my total spend to about $5,000 USD - or $7,000 NZD -

·
Registered
1991 500SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old are your water hoses ?
Top Hose is about 4 years old - I did that when I first purchased the car - bottom hose -- ugh I dont know actually... I'd hate to replace it... where on earth does it go too!

I've got a new hose here for the thermostat elbow.

·
Registered
'03 SL Kleemann, 1997 SL320 Pano Top, Tesla Model X
661 Posts
Top Hydraulic Cylinders

Do you know any service history on your top hydraulic cylinders?

Check for leaks especially on the front lock cylinders above the windshield, so they won't start dripping oil on your seats, or the oil might discolor your dome light. Here's how to check (and do easy DIY replacement): http://tophydraulicsinc.com/R129 Front Locking Cylinder Removal.pdf

Next, check in the soft top storage compartment for leaks on top of any of the ten cylinders in there.

Flush the top hydraulic oil with at least one quart of new MB-approved liquid! See this sticky for the procedure: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1328728-roadster-soft-top-rst-hydraulic-system.html#post3419516

·
Registered
1991 500SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know any service history on your top hydraulic cylinders?

Check for leaks especially on the front lock cylinders above the windshield, so they won't start dripping oil on your seats, or the oil might discolor your dome light. Here's how to check (and do easy DIY replacement): http://tophydraulicsinc.com/R129 Front Locking Cylinder Removal.pdf

Next, check in the soft top storage compartment for leaks on top of any of the ten cylinders in there.

Flush the top hydraulic oil with at least one quart of new MB-approved liquid! See this sticky for the procedure: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1328728-roadster-soft-top-rst-hydraulic-system.html#post3419516
That side of the car is all in order when I got the car I did a major overhaul on the system - the fluid has been done recently also.

Thanks for the Input though

·
Registered
1991 500SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Root Cause of evil

Just got thermostat out of housing - Note the waxey goo coming from the thermostat - It wont open - at all boiled water to 120 deg - So I'd say its died!

Nice to know you find a problem when you're doin stuff!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
4,818 Posts
One of the things that breakdown with age are the idler air hose plastic elbows and joiners. They look ok but when you squeeze them thay fall apart with heat and age. The hoses also get very hard and need replacing. I replaced the lot from autohaus for around AUD$ 120 + postage the part numbers are listed below. I would have thought the first part number should be 1199901778 but Autohaus list it in their parts as 1179901778 might be different from another supplier.

2 1179901778 Air Intake Boot/Hoses; T-Connector
4 1190941082 Air Distribution/Breather Hose; Left/Right Air Distribution Hose
4 1190941182 Air Distribution/Breather Hose; Idle Air Hose to Lower Part of Intake Manifold
1 1190941282 Air Distribution/Breather Hose; Left; Idle Air Distributor to Intake
1 1190941382 Air Distribution/Breather Hose; Right; Idle Air Distributor to Intake
4 1199900078 Air Intake Boot/Hoses; Air Hose Elbow Connector

·
Premium Member
1989 560sec 6.0L AMG & Renntech
2,355 Posts
Check all your rubber (engine, tranny, diff, control arm, etc) mounts, flex disks... look around for leaks... clean everything up (metal brush and 4-5 bottles of 409 and brake cleaner... if I were you I'd also replace the water pump. Get rid of the fan clutch you just bought and convert your car to a SPAL electric fan. Much, much better than the engine driven fan. See how long ago you replaced your spark plugs. Time to change the oil also? Have you changed tranny fluid recently? Sounds like a lot of parts I know, but if you're doing that much work already you might as well get it all done! :D

·
Registered
1991 500SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check all your rubber (engine, tranny, diff, control arm, etc) mounts, flex disks... look around for leaks... clean everything up (metal brush and 4-5 bottles of 409 and brake cleaner... if I were you I'd also replace the water pump. Get rid of the fan clutch you just bought and convert your car to a SPAL electric fan. Much, much better than the engine driven fan. See how long ago you replaced your spark plugs. Time to change the oil also? Have you changed tranny fluid recently? Sounds like a lot of parts I know, but if you're doing that much work already you might as well get it all done! :D
Ill replace every rubber part I can actually get - waterpump seems good from the look I just took at it... I think ill leave it the car has only 84,000 km's or 50,000 miles.

Plugs , Oil Filters are all less than 12 months old and part of a regular maintenance regime.

As per the SPAL is this a straight kit that can plug into the loom - I'm not really interested in having a custom wiring job etc - would prefer for it to be a well presented factory looking car... and to be honest the Viscous when new and up to date does a darn good job of keeping those engines cool

·
Registered
1991 500SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol at mr MB Father - do we all have a 190e 2.3 16v project in the wings?

·
Premium Member
1989 560sec 6.0L AMG & Renntech
2,355 Posts
Ill replace every rubber part I can actually get - waterpump seems good from the look I just took at it... I think ill leave it the car has only 84,000 km's or 50,000 miles.

Plugs , Oil Filters are all less than 12 months old and part of a regular maintenance regime.

As per the SPAL is this a straight kit that can plug into the loom - I'm not really interested in having a custom wiring job etc - would prefer for it to be a well presented factory looking car... and to be honest the Viscous when new and up to date does a darn good job of keeping those engines cool
Oh wow nice low miles... I like! :D The SPAL fan only has two wires if I remember. I will try to get some pictures to you from one of the BMW track cars. The stock fan works well when the clutch is new yes, but the SPAL fans don't wear out. The SPAL fans help remove the rotating mass of the engine thus giving you slight performance gains. I bought one for one of my cars, fell in love with how it performed, and promptly installed them in the rest :)

You have a 190e project?? Do tell! I am replicating the Sonax DTM car from 1992 with mine. It's getting the chrome molly roll cage installed (it'll take until March to finish). I'm working on ordering three 375hp DTM spec engines for it from ATEC in Germany as well as three 6-speed transmissions. I just sent out an order to Hotbits suspension for a coilover kit for the 190 as well (my machine shop is custom building camber plates). I also am speaking with OZ Racing in Germany regarding how many of the single knock off hub magnesium wheels the DTM car used. I am kind of worried how many I will wind up having to order for them to produce them. I heard from someone I may have to order 40 wheels... :( And at 1200 euro per wheel that is going to be completely ludicrous. Anyway I could ramble on for ever and ever about that mess. Currently the only working car I have is my 129 SL500 LOL. My W140 is up on the rack without any bumpers or sideskirts, no brakes, no suspension, and missing a bunch! I have wheels, airbags, and the Junction Produce Ares kit on order as well as Rotora brakes and some custom interior work in the system. The F360 race car has been at Dave Helms shop in Boulder since last September (getting completely re-built: new engine, bodywork, suspension, everything). My 325is track car is almost done. Finally got a dyno test on it last week, and I just have to install the fire and safety system in it once it comes back from the paint shop. Think I have enough projects going on? LMAO. :D

·
Registered
1991 500SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh wow nice low miles... I like! :D The SPAL fan only has two wires if I remember. I will try to get some pictures to you from one of the BMW track cars. The stock fan works well when the clutch is new yes, but the SPAL fans don't wear out. The SPAL fans help remove the rotating mass of the engine thus giving you slight performance gains. I bought one for one of my cars, fell in love with how it performed, and promptly installed them in the rest :)

You have a 190e project?? Do tell! I am replicating the Sonax DTM car from 1992 with mine. It's getting the chrome molly roll cage installed (it'll take until March to finish). I'm working on ordering three 375hp DTM spec engines for it from ATEC in Germany as well as three 6-speed transmissions. I just sent out an order to Hotbits suspension for a coilover kit for the 190 as well (my machine shop is custom building camber plates). I also am speaking with OZ Racing in Germany regarding how many of the single knock off hub magnesium wheels the DTM car used. I am kind of worried how many I will wind up having to order for them to produce them. I heard from someone I may have to order 40 wheels... :( And at 1200 euro per wheel that is going to be completely ludicrous. Anyway I could ramble on for ever and ever about that mess. Currently the only working car I have is my 129 SL500 LOL. My W140 is up on the rack without any bumpers or sideskirts, no brakes, no suspension, and missing a bunch! I have wheels, airbags, and the Junction Produce Ares kit on order as well as Rotora brakes and some custom interior work in the system. The F360 race car has been at Dave Helms shop in Boulder since last September (getting completely re-built: new engine, bodywork, suspension, everything). My 325is track car is almost done. Finally got a dyno test on it last week, and I just have to install the fire and safety system in it once it comes back from the paint shop. Think I have enough projects going on? LMAO. :D
Wow.. that is a pretty serious project - I've got a really nice body that I've been slowly restoring bit by bit - I'm in two minds weather to put a cage in it... as its a very very very tidy body - its never been twisted or bent - theres not a trace of any mileage on it so I pulled out the interior and started hunting for new or as new interior parts to bring it back to where it can be - I guess the plan for me is to remove as much weight as possible and carpet the rear and get around 300hp out of it... my mechanic keeps telling me that I should put a stroked M119 in it - but meh - too much weight up the front - the car turns in so delightfully... Have you developed you're engine much? I've been looking into a spaced injector setup I.E the injectors living outside of the throttle bodies , Some 290 - 300 duration cams and clean up the head as much as possible and lighten and strengthen every moving component - I've got a 6 Speed sequential box here from australia for it and just had my new housing finished - Ill be near the car this weekend ill take some pictures... but I guess my theme for it is.... 190e GT3...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts