Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2006 ML320 CDi, 3.0-litre Diesel 7G-Tronic
1,187 Posts
I searched on Amazon UK (Amazon.co.uk: Low Prices in Electronics, Books, Sports Equipment & more) for the MD802 and there are indeed 2 models of the MD802, the DIY home use one from DiagLink may be a copy.

Its reduced function will not be enough and the description is obscure - could be deliberate. These things are daily problems with shady suppliers.

I'm not qualified to assess them so send a message to 43sqd or wait for him to reply before you commit, bud.

If you have other queries please ask, we're here to help.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes ML320, Mercedes 190E 2.3L (sold), 2001 Mercedes c320(gone)
1,456 Posts
Hi thanks for that, i found it on amazon uk for £189, they do a diy version for about £80, they also do the elite maxidiag 4 system for £150, but its the elite maxidiag all system for £189 i need isnt it? also will this delete esp/bas warning light/ codes and srs codes?is it quite easy to use? i think it says you get one car free but if you want to add another its £10? or have i miss read that

thanks
The md802 elite. supports all cars and the updates are free, no fees for additional cars. It's a gem.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
ML270 2000
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
thanks guys.

some of the write ups can be confusing and conflicting if you dont know what your looking at, i understand i am looking for the md802 elite all system

if you go to www.amaoz.co.uk

and then type in md802 elite, it brings up 2 for full system for that model number, one is red bit thinner at bottom at £189 and one is black ( more rectangle shape ) for £348 ( but the black one when you click on it - the heading says md802 elite ........... then at the end of the heading says 4 md806 then under the price it says size name 4 system md806 , this is the link to this black one thats confusing

the red one i am looking at, which i think is correct is ( £189 )

but whilst on this page ( for the red md802 elite all system ) if you scroll down a little bit it then has a pic of the black rectangle one and says theres a newer model which is £195 , if you click on that it takes you to a md806, that one says 4 system in the description but then on the comparison diagram it says it does more than the all system md802? this is the link

im just checking its this one ( red elite for £189 all system im supposed to buy? link below )

sorry for asking again, just wanted to make sure

thanks

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'll let others answer that, I'm still learning.

In the meantime, is this the exhaust system for your R170 SLK 230?

Exhaust system:

Which bit(s) is(are) broken on yours? I'll try to find a cheaper source. There is an OEM company called Walker Exhaust Systems in the UK which made good copies and would post them.

Drop them the question: Walker :: WALKER TECHLINE

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Just copy and paste the link below on any shopping store you choose.

Autel Scanner MD802 Maxidiag Elite Diagnoses for ABS, Engine, Transmission, Airbag, EPB, Oil Service Reset Code Reader OBD2 Diagnostic Tool

·
Registered
ML270 2000
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yes, that’s the exhaust, you see the join after the cats, mine has a join like that before the cats on the bit that comes down from the engine, it then bends at the bottom and that join is when the bent bit joins onto the straight bit , one of the bolts is missing from the join ( the garage said clamp, it should easily be fixable but they were worried the rest of the exhaust system would get damaged as the entire exhaust has no supports, the only thing holding the exhaust is one bolt on this clamp at the front and then the bits that hold the back box, so they said supports would have to go in before you took the other bolt out but it would be easier to just replace it all as the rest might get damaged during repair then quoted £500 to replace, Kwickfit then quoted £400, to me I can’t believe some supports can’t go in, then the join be sealed and re bolted without needing to Change it all

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Yes, I have had experience of old exhausts being so rusted and thin that trying to weld anything to them ends up burning right through, and that goes further and further along the pipe until it finds a solid bit of metal ;)

In the good old days there were many welders who could braze, that's welding using a bronze alloy rod with an oxy/acetylene torch: Is There A Difference Between Brazing And Welding?

But now you may not find anyone local who does that, most welding now is arc welding (using an electrode "stick") or TIG or MIG (look those up or this will become longer than the Bible! :p)

Arc welding is very hot, brazing is at much lower temperature and adds much more metal, like soldering.

OK - one last idea to try to save it apart from wrapping with bandage and Gun Gum: find and talk to a mobile welder, explain the likely problem of burning through the exhaust pipe. You never know, you might find a very good chap who knows what to do for you.

I found a young chap, many years ago who surprised me, he was brilliant, but that was in Plymouth.

If you can get a good mobile welder and a good mobile mechie you'll be done in no time, all on your doorstep - and quids in!

I hope it works out, let us know?

And - never apologise for asking, my friend, that's what forums are for, to help others where we can.

I do wish more members here would give their help though, some other forums are fab for that.

This is how we learn, from each other.

So my thanks to @43sqd, and @noetico, @Planethill, @PlaneCrazy and others who chipped in on this and other threads. :)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have a funny feeling that the Autel Elite 43sqd linked to only addresses OBDII codes, looking at the functions it does not read ABS sensors, parking sensors, can't re-pair keys...

I've emailed the supplier, let's see what they come up with.

I've already emailed iCarSoft to get info on their MB V2, and I got a detailed response next day.

I'll mull it over when I get Autel's response and make a detailed thread comparing them and giving all info on those and other tools, I haven't been able to find any such thread on this forum although there are lots of requests from lots of members, with some responses.

Ho-hum! :rolleyes:😙

·
Registered
ML270 2000
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hi jim, thanks for the continued thought. You know more than me, I don’t know what I’m looking at and know very little about cars, I am quite good with computers - so if I get the right machine I should be able to learn how to use it.
The Autel elite says full diagnosis ABS, SRS, Engine transmission,
Does that not mean it reads the abs sensor and can reset warning for it?
Have no idea what only OBII codes are.
As for the welding, I shall contact the mobile mechanic as he also does welding, but I don’t know if he does brazing.
That’s why I wondered if the exhaust hanger supports you can buy on eBay could be used for the support and then the bolts at the front could be drilled, then sealed / rejoin the 2 bits and bolt back together without the need to weld supports on?
Let me know if you hear anything about the scanner.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hi bud.

OBD and OBDII are actually sets of standard specifications of fault codes (Diagnostic Trouble Codes, DTCs) that all manufacturers were forced to comply with in order to reveal to the owners and independent repairers what component has failed, to stop them monopolising car repairs and servicing as computer control increased in cars.

I will expand below:

The original OBD standard defined a set of standard trouble codes which must be produced and made accessible to users and repairers, and those are often referred to as the "Public"(ly available) codes, if I remember those are codes P0000 through P0999, and they must also be resettable by the user.

I think this was a USA directed requirement sponsored by the emissions control regulations and the Anti-Trust laws.

To do this, the Standard defined the type of connector and the computer code language (Protocol) that should be used to communicate with the car's system. So independent companies were able to manufacture their own code scanners and sold them to owners and independent repairers - at a high cost at first.

The first OBD standard was extended later as Revision II, and named OBDII, or OBD-II, as car system complexity increased, to ensure that manufacturers revealed more of the car's failure areas as defined standard error codes.

However, if you know how large computer systems evolved, there are increasingly far more sub-controllers with their own address, command sets, sensors, and fault codes than the early computers. So it's the same in cars - as they are filled with more and more electronic modules, so does the complexity, and so is OBDII compliance becoming a smaller and smaller subset of the whole cars systems.

So the manufacturers have only complied with the OBD and OBDII standards requirements, providing access only to the control modules, or parts of control modules, which produce those OBD fault codes.

All other functions and control modules in the vehicle are inaccessible without proprietary diagnostic equipment! Hence, the trouble codes which are not OBDII Codes, called "Proprietary" codes, can start with any letter and can have four or more digits after.

For example, "C1365" can mean a failure of a particular sensor in a Citroen, and the same code can mean the failure is a completely different component in a Chevy.

To further complicate, the same code may not mean the same component in a different model of the same manufacturer.

Mercedes took electronic control to extreme, with many setup, monitoring and control of the car features being performed by one of many electronic control modules, and those modules can only be commanded and interrogated through the car's own specific diagnostic software. Almost every Mercedes model has different electronic control modules, and although the same host diagnostic system tool is used, the software driving that tool can determine what electronic control modules are installed and how to talk to them, configure them, upgrade their firmware, and command them to perform functions, and get their status and error codes.

So, we can either spend a fortune on original or after-market Mercedes diagnostic tools, or pay a fully-equipped Mercedes dealer or independent mechanic to diagnose for us every time.

Or, to be a bit more knowledgeable, we can pay a small amount usually around £20 for a "generic" OBDII Code reader which can read only the compulsory OBDII Codes from the car.

Or, for a bit more money, from about £80 to £200, we can buy more capable tools which can talk to more modules in the car and give us more exact diagnosis of a problem.

but these tools may not be able to drive all the functions we want.

We need to determine what these tools can do on Mercedes cars.

I hope I haven't given you kittens? :)

I'll make a full explanation and tools comparison between the Autel Elite Full System tool and the iCarSoft MB V2 when I get Autel's second response.

Their first reply to my email in which I asked what the Elite can do on Mercedes cars, and which models it does and does not support, they asked me for a specific Mercedes car - the model, its vin number, engine, fuel type... !

Duhh. Doesn't look good so far. They will probably reply "Yes it is supported" and not detail any functions.

I listed my ML and many if the other classes, let's see what they make of that.

iCarSoft on the other hand provided a very large set of documents listing the functions ithat their MB V2 can do on each Mercedes model!

We shall see.

------

Any luck with the mobile mechie and brazing your exhaust or replacing the rotten bits?

I get from your description that yours has an extra join before the cat, in the downpipe (item 3) that's not shown in the parts diagram I found, and that's the joint that's got a broken bolt, is that so? Then is it probable that the cat has been replaced before, hence the second joint?

Doesn't your exhaust have the support bracket items 6, 7 and 8?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts