Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am driving my 01 ML320 over 60 mph and take my foot off the gas and not touching the break I noticed not a loud but signifigant engine wind down noise as the speed goes down under 60. Is this normal?

I just bought it with 38k miles and have had the radio replaced, seat cables, and heat console, so I want to make sure I get everything before the 50k warranty comes up.

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
Were you in a school zone at the time?

The noise could have been shotgun blasts from pursuing highway patrol officers.

The speed limit is 25mph.

[:D]

Does it sound like the engine is downshifting as you dip below 60?

Does it sound like transmission noise or engine noise?

Are you hearing running gear noise when you take your foot off the gas that is masked by engine noise when you are accelerating.....bearings maybe?

·
Registered
2001 ML320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is on the highway.

It is not a huge noise, but sounds a little louder than it should, it sounds a machine winding down and it doesn't do it under 60. I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
I have an 05 500SE that does that. It's one of the differentials with the gears set incorrectly. They're going to replace my front differential for that reason. Take it to your dealer before your warranty runs out! [:D]

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
Hey Cass,
Not an engine problem!! It's just a slight gear noise. It can probably run forever like that if you don't mind the noise. I used to work for GM in my younger days and I've built many gearsets so I know what I'm talking about. I wanted mine changed because the truck is new. I would suggest you take it to your dealer and take the shop foreman for a ride, not the service advisor, they're just scribes in my opinion. I can't really diagnose it without hearing it myself, it may be something else, but it sounds like differential gears to me. Good luck!! [8D]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts