Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Digital odometer/trip meter and of course right beolw the trip meter is the outside temp gauge. It went into the dim mode yesterday...exchanged the cluster with another and the temp gauge lite up. So...it's the gauge in the cluster...LED....any recommendations on a repair shop who can fix this?
All the other gauges work, speedometer works, etc...just the temp gauge went dim.

·
Registered
1992 & 1993 300SE
22 Posts
Outside Air Indicator Bulb

Have a 93 300SE that had same problem. Pulled instrument cluster. Take the clear plastic bezel off (carefully...there are 5-6 snaps on one side and two small screws on the otherl...obviously, remove the 2 screws first). Once off, you can then take two small screws out that allow the back of the cluster to be exposed (you may have two small plastic hinges that indicate the back rotates). You can then push out the outside aid temp module. I saw a little 12V bulb that was burned out. Went to Radio Shack, got a generic 12V/25mA and replaced it. Back together. OA indicator glows just fine. Tricky piece of soldering; use a pencil point gun or get a VCR/DVD repair guy to do it for you. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a 93 300SE that had same problem. Pulled instrument cluster. Take the clear plastic bezel off (carefully...there are 5-6 snaps on one side and two small screws on the otherl...obviously, remove the 2 screws first). Once off, you can then take two small screws out that allow the back of the cluster to be exposed (you may have two small plastic hinges that indicate the back rotates). You can then push out the outside aid temp module. I saw a little 12V bulb that was burned out. Went to Radio Shack, got a generic 12V/25mA and replaced it. Back together. OA indicator glows just fine. Tricky piece of soldering; use a pencil point gun or get a VCR/DVD repair guy to do it for you. Good Luck!
I did remove the cluster, etc....problem is...this is a digital odometer/trip meter....the temp gauge/trip meter/odometer are in the same housing.
...I thought along the same lines that you posted...remove the temp gauge and exchange the bulb...but the mechanical odometer/trip meter vs the digital odometer/trip meter are different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts