Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500 SEL
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here I am again with another spring time repair surprise.

My weekend project is going to be to replace the LCD display in the instrument console. When I checked under the hood, I couldn't find the temperature probe but I did find a cut wiring harness. Well, on the brighter note, the replacement LCD display module included the probe in the kit. The question...Where do I mount the probe? Is the location critical to its function?

Thanks.

·
Registered
87 420SEL, 89 560SL, 92 300TE
62 Posts
Hello!

The stock location for the probe is in the bracket for the front license plate on US models. Has your car perhaps had the front plate removed? I know this is a common mod in the areas where it is allowed. If your front plate bracket is still in place, you should be able to see where the probe mounts.

I'm not sure how critical the location would be, as long as you can mount it far enough from the heat-producers in the engine area. I've noticed that my display goes up when I am idling, so the stock location is probably not far enough away from the radiator, etc.

Hope this helps!

-Robert

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
The stock location of the temperature probe can also be affected by heat radiating from the road. In Orange County, perhaps it has more to do with radiant heat of the road surface than that from the engine.

In the summertime, The probe will read temperatures reaching 110F and above upon starting the car after it has been parked with the front facing south to southwest on a parking lot.

·
Registered
87 420SEL, 89 560SL, 92 300TE
62 Posts
As far as I know, the only way to change the temp display from Celsius to Fahrenheit (or vice-versa) is to pull the sensor and display and replace them with the Fahrenheit units. I've seen these units on eBay pretty regularly, or you might ask bse500sel where he got his.

-Robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts