Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I was invited to Calistoga Ranch in Napa for an Aston Martin drive and a wine tasting dinner with the local dealership, some executives of Aston Martin and the owner of Silver Oak.

It was a chance to get to drive the new DB9 and meet the owner of Silver Oak which if you have ever had any of their wines, you know they make a great wine.

I really didn't fit in the DB9 nor did I like the way it drove. It did however look incredible.

I had to chance to meet the marketing person, the Senior United States Operations executive for Aston Martin and many others. They were obviously incredibly nice.

I have on order the new 2008 Vanquish S which is supposed to redone for that year. I hadn't really ever driven the car before but had heard so many wonderful things about it.

Well, I noticed that they had a 2005 Vanquish S at the hotel and this time I decided I wanted to take this car for a ride. They gave it to me and said come back when you want. Well, I went through the winding and straight roads of Napa and I had a blast. I never realized that a car could ride like this. It was really like nothing I had driven. I had only heard about cars like this but never driven them. The paddle shifters were easy and the car road incredibly smooth for a carbon fiber car.

I thought my SL600 V12 sounded great. The Vanquish S takes that V12 sound to a new level.

Bottom line, I got back to the hotel with a smile a mile long. I went over to the salesman for Aston Martin and placed my order. Right then they went to the Operations Executive for Aston Martin USA and he gave me a 2006 August build slot. I picked out my colors and we were done.

The really is no comparison to this car and the Mercedes SL600. They are really two different cars and should be for the price difference. The SL600 is great for what it is but as far as the performance goes, the SL600 is not even in the same class as the Vanquish S. I was also amazed at the luxury of this car and how many creature comforts the car had as the DB9 had none.

The Vanquish S is in a class by itself and I am still smiling about my drive through the streets of Napa. I thought the SL600 was fast, well it is but this car is a rocket ship.

I can't wait for it to come in.

I am going to St. Barths on April 21st for three weeks and when I get back the SL600 goes on sale. Hopefully with it's new door panel. My "Buy it now price" on e-Bay will be $135,000 and the car still only has 2780 miles. The MSRP without the upgrades I did was $150,299. Hopefully someone will fall in love with the car and think that is a good price including all the upgrades I did upon delivery. I think it is and hey, look at that wax job. They will also know the car is in perfect condition.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. Mine has certainly gotten off to a great start.[:)]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
The Vanquish is a wonderful car. I drove the 'standard' one a few years ago (actually, 2 and a half years ago, boy does time fly) with my (not yet) GF.

The cars a blast, hear the S is even better. It's a good choice, I'll stick to my slightly cheaper MB's for the time being [;)]

Oh, and a pic from back then with the girl that is now my GF [;)]:

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a solution if you get into trouble...

Shinigami - 4/10/2005 3:56 AM

The Vanquish is a wonderful car. I drove the 'standard' one a few years ago (actually, 2 and a half years ago, boy does time fly) with my (not yet) GF.

The cars a blast, hear the S is even better. It's a good choice, I'll stick to my slightly cheaper MB's for the time being [;)]

Oh, and a pic from back then with the girl that is now my GF [;)]:
I am keeping the Vanquish S and I strongly suggest you keep your girlfried. [:D]

If you get into trouble, given how my wife reacted, you could buy the Vanquish S and then she'd never go anywhere. [:)]

·
Registered
'98 BMW 540i 6-spd
124 Posts
Lovin, I'm glad you've found something that gives you enjoyment and satisfaction. The woes you had with the SL600 gave you just cause to look elsewhere. None of us should have to take on the task of fixing someone else's company when all we want is to pursue our love of driving.

I think your 2006 is probably the best choice. It should have matured as a production model and should be what AM designed it to be. I am not crazy about first year models and who wants to wait anyway? I think Aston Martins are such classics that it really doesn't matter when a newer one comes out. It's not like it's a Japanese car designed for the fickle consumer market.

Just watch where you park that thing... and those damned curbs and concrete slabs they strew around parking areas. [8D]

·
Registered
'98 BMW 540i 6-spd
124 Posts
As I said before, you are obviously a classy guy. Don't ever trade your current model GF in for newer models - the new ones usually have "software" problems! [:D]

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hfc - 4/10/2005 10:20 AM

Lovin, what colour did you pick?
Meteorite Silver with black headliner, black leather upper leather environment and black cherry lower leather environment.

I am putting the diamond quilted black alacantara in the center panel of the headliner and matching that black diamond quilting with black diamond quilted alcantara in the middle of the black cherry leather seats.

Carpeting will be black cherry. Was doing the matching stitching.

Should be gorgeous. [:)]

·
Registered
1998 MB SLK 230
504 Posts
Wow sounds like a great experience, and a great buy. I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Loving,

You lucky bastard! The Vanquish my current "ultimate" car. Too bad it's out of my budget for now.

However, I'm curious, does this mean you will cancel your all new Vanquish order? (The 2007 model.

Or will you end up with both, the current Vanquish as well as the "all new" Vanquish in 2007?

Mike

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
Well... I did consider an Aston Martin previously, and I have to admit it would have definately been second choice to the SL. But, don't be fooled by the sweet talking... Aston Martin have had some build issues here.

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2004 SL 500 - 4/11/2005 10:59 AM

Loving,

You lucky bastard! The Vanquish my current "ultimate" car. Too bad it's out of my budget for now.

However, I'm curious, does this mean you will cancel your all new Vanquish order? (The 2007 model.

Or will you end up with both, the current Vanquish as well as the "all new" Vanquish in 2007?

Mike
The Aston corporate guys were at the hotel and they said at the very earliest 2008. After I drove the Vanquish S I just couldn't wait so I ordered the 2006 and am still #1 for the "all new" Vanquish. She is a beauty.

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cxt32 - 4/11/2005 1:12 PM

Well... I did consider an Aston Martin previously, and I have to admit it would have definately been second choice to the SL. But, don't be fooled by the sweet talking... Aston Martin have had some build issues here.
I certainly understand all manufactures have build issues but I certainly hope they will be better than Mercedes in fixing them or at least caring enough to aggresively work on it.

Only time will tell.

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hfc - 4/11/2005 9:46 AM

wow, all that mixing and matching would have given me a headache!
You are absolutely right. Luckily I went through all of this when I ordered my DB9. As you know when the car came in I did not fit comfortabely in the car but the color scheme was absolutely gorgeous.

I just copied the same color scheme for the Vanquish S and had a few more customized options with the Vanquish that I added like the diamond quilted alcantara for the headliner and seats.

The first time I had to do this it did drive me nuts but at the same time I did have some fun. [:)]

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 500SEC
221 Posts
Wow! the ASTON IS MY DREAM CAR! damn its beautiful. How much is the retail for one of those anywayy? Right now, i did kill for your SL 600! doubt my SEC is even close, but i would sell all four of my cars (except the SEC) for the ASTON! man. No wait infact i would sell the SEC even for the ASTON!.

your really fortunate man!

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
joelsec - 4/12/2005 7:06 AM

Wow! the ASTON IS MY DREAM CAR! damn its beautiful. How much is the retail for one of those anywayy? Right now, i did kill for your SL 600! doubt my SEC is even close, but i would sell all four of my cars (except the SEC) for the ASTON! man. No wait infact i would sell the SEC even for the ASTON!.

your really fortunate man!
The Vanquish S, with all the options, comes to around $270,000.

Also, you don't have to kill for my SL600, you just need $135,000. [:)]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Ya, well... that's a considerable amount of money for most people. I'll have to work both my nuts off for the next few more years if I wanted to go SL, that is, if I wanna go SL. I'd love to get hold of a second hand 360 Modena. mmmm, sex on wheels [:D]

But alas, rearing a family in this country is expensive, and if I choose to do this, I'll have to buy a more practical car for 'my family' *groan*

Sometimes it's a curse to be so attached to cars when you've also got partner, children, and house on the mind (and like I mentioned, Switzerland around the Geneva area is just horrendously expensive).

Oh well. I can choose to stay in my job and make a good salary with job security, or take the risk and change jobs to something that 'could' maybe net me a ton of cache if things go succesfully. Ahhh... choices, choices. Don't think the second choice is a good one if I wanna get married to my GF in the next few years...

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Shinigami - 4/12/2005 7:49 AM

Ya, well... that's a considerable amount of money for most people. I'll have to work both my nuts off for the next few more years if I wanted to go SL, that is, if I wanna go SL. I'd love to get hold of a second hand 360 Modena. mmmm, sex on wheels [:D]

But alas, rearing a family in this country is expensive, and if I choose to do this, I'll have to buy a more practical car for 'my family' *groan*

Sometimes it's a curse to be so attached to cars when you've also got partner, children, and house on the mind (and like I mentioned, Switzerland around the Geneva area is just horrendously expensive).

Oh well. I can choose to stay in my job and make a good salary with job security, or take the risk and change jobs to something that 'could' maybe net me a ton of cache if things go succesfully. Ahhh... choices, choices. Don't think the second choice is a good one if I wanna get married to my GF in the next few years...
There is certainly no doubt your family comes first!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts