Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Jaguar STR-sold,mercedes s500L-sold,c36 amg-sold,s500 coupe-sold,cl420-sold,s320-sold,s280-sold
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
As recently we had a bit of snow in UK how's your driving experience?
How are your 140's holding up?
Mine stored in garage he he, no winter tyres cannot take a risk of driving it or somebody driving into me :surrender:
Using my ford explorer - goes like tank everyehere :D
Take care my fellow 140's UK owners and all of you guys who need to face snowy conditions.
I love it by the way :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
my mercedes cars do many things well...driving in the snow is not one of them.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,425 Posts
You've got the right idea: Don't even use the W140 in the snow. It's not designed to run in snow, it's not practical to run in snow, it can't really handle the snow, so just use a different car when you get snow.

Really quite simple.

And bravo to you for sharing that message that I've been trying to share with everyone since summer.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Rear wheel drive MBs do fine in the snow, In europe even rental cars get snow tires, it has to do with your driving skills.

·
Registered
1998 S600 LWB 2011 GLK 350 4matic 2013 Sprinter 2500
412 Posts
Rear wheel drive sedans in the snow takes me back to Philly in the sixties, and my old man throwing bags of rock salt in the trunk for weight. That all went away with front wheel drive. I'll make sure the roads to Lake Tahoe are plowed before I take my Benz up. Stryker, Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
Rear wheel drive MBs do fine in the snow, In europe even rental cars get snow tires, it has to do with your driving skills.
+1. my mb's see an average of 5,000 miles/year in snowy roads. i have never been stuck or lost control, even in bad blizzards. all you need is 2 rear snow tires and a couple of sand bags in the trunk.

·
Registered
1993 W140 500SEL Black/Black, 12014 Ford Fiesta ST Blk/Blk
1,128 Posts
My car has the snow chain button, thought was put into that "hey maybe it may snow in Germany and people want to drive somewhere..."

My car does fine in the snow, I don't like it getting dirty though, I use the BMW which is a friggin sled. The W140 has a nice soft suspension that allows it to comply with the irregular surface generated by snow and ice packing. If you're not a complete moron you'll get where your need to go, I did with 8 inches of the white stuff freshly laid.
Lose those big wheels and tyres, put back your 16s with good rubber. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes Benz S320 SWB
274 Posts
My car has the snow chain button, thought was put into that "hey maybe it may snow in Germany and people want to drive somewhere..."

My car does fine in the snow, I don't like it getting dirty though, I use the BMW which is a friggin sled. The W140 has a nice soft suspension that allows it to comply with the irregular surface generated by snow and ice packing. If you're not a complete moron you'll get where your need to go, I did with 8 inches of the white stuff freshly laid.
Lose those big wheels and tyres, put back your 16s with good rubber. You'll be fine.
This is the only negative with my 97 S320: poor traction in snow!

I wished mine had come with 4-matic.

James Combs,
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
1997 S320, 88,200 miles (driving wife's 2011 Ford Fiesta when in snow...)

·
Premium Member
1998 140.070 CL500, 1966 406.121 U65
1,463 Posts
I use my C140 every day. As you may know, we have real winter in Norway;

What matter most, is the kind of tires on the car.
I am, however, grateful for ESP on my car.

Heres a republish of winter driving in my previous S320;

br,
syljua

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,425 Posts
Don't mean to take away from anybody's driving skills or recollections of loading the trunk with weight, but common sense should tell you that it isn't about YOUR driving skills in question, it's others. The fact that a minor accident could TOTAL your car should be enough to alert you to what may happen in the event some other driver loses it and comes into your car.

Here's what you need to think about:

Is the drive that important?
Can I afford a second (lesser) 4x4?
Is there another way I can go without taking my W140? (Mass transit, carpooling with another, etc.)

All thoughts to think about. Our cars are simply NOT equipped to handle the snow, period. They weren't designed for that, they don't do well in it, they become big fat targets in it because of their lack of ability to maneuver properly in snow.

Again, you going to risk your W140 because you can't think of another way to go? Hmmmm......

Think again!

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
One last point:

Do you think if you owned a Lamborghini or Ferrari, you'd want to take that out in the snow? You'd be nuts to do it for the same reasons I'm giving you above.

So think of your W140 as a Lambo or Ferrari. And use accordingly!

·
Registered
1983 230 E (sold) , 1991 600 SEL (sold) , 1993 300 SE (sold)
505 Posts
w140 with a proper set of winter tires and a bit of weight in the trunk is OK for driving in snow. Its not a 4x4 but if driven normally it will perform like any other car out there :)

I made a mistake of driving it in snow with summer tires and no weight in the back and skidded of the road. Pics in the link below:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1498429-winter-rear-wheel-drive.html

After this accident, I put on winter tires and 100 kg in the back + Full tank of gas and it performed normally.

The thing is I dont like getting my car dirty, so starting this year im using my other car. A Opel Vectra B with winter tires all arround and manual gearbox, it cannot get stuck.

So to summerise: IF you want to drive w140 in snow WINTER TYRES are a must!!!!!!!
Optional exxtra weight in the trunk :)

Hope this helps someone avoiding an accident like I had :)

·
Premium Member
2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
1,002 Posts
I have been to Anchorage, Fairbanks and a few other cities in Alaska during the winter months, in the middle of snow storms, tons of snow on the roads, been on unplowed roads....and I have seen many Benzs' of various models including W140s on the roads being driven.
It has to do with both your and the other drivers on the road skills....some go through life driving like idiots never having had an accident and others drive very carefully and still get slammed.

·
Registered
'08 E63 AMG Wagon. C280 (320) track/drift slag. Wife has CLK500 Convertible
1,029 Posts
To be fair, I think my w140's are the worst snow handling cars I've owned, but that does make for some good fun in empty car parks...

·
Registered
1994 S500 Sedan
1,214 Posts
Sorry everyone, but I have to chime in, as what's being said does not comport with my experience in the least. After 17 winters in NY, I can attest that my '94 S500 is one of the best, if not THE best, cars in the snow, short of anything with 4 wheel drive / snow tires. I run everything OEM, down to the tires, which are all season Michelins. The great thing about the car is that it aggressively (and intelligently) restricts itself RPM-wise to what is safe - if you don't over over do it - and it goes in the direction you steer for very proper footing and traction in snow, yes, SNOW. Also, I can't think of a more safe car to be in to absorb an accident, should one happen; barring a Hummer or the latest MB and BMW have to offer, technology-wise, on their large, top line models. So, I don't know what's up with what's being said, but that's all I've got to say! :)

·
Registered
95 s420 - 99 740IL
19 Posts
+1
I agree with everything you said.
I drive my s420 every day to work with all season tires. It does very good in the snow. Especially on the highway. As long as you are careful and take corners with appropriate speed you should be fine. I think that no matter now much help you get from your cars anti skip, slid, whatever protection you'll still slide like crazy if you don't adjust your speed and drive thinking ahead of what is coming.

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Worst car ever in snow but even worse in the ice.. only time I have EVER had a tow in a working car Rice burner had to pull me up a hill and mine has the diff lock etc.. ..they do many things snow etc is not one of them..

·
Registered
C140 W140 C126 W201 W116 W210 W163 W251 R129 R170 928S 944S GTV6
363 Posts
I am sure your mileage may vary, but I have no trouble with the S420 in the snow, and neither does the wife, who drives it every day and would have the choice of grabbing a 4x4 instead. She has snows with lots of meat on them on all 4 wheels and feels very comfortable and safe driving in the snow with her car. I don't drive the CL in the winter, but my vehicle of choice is the W201 with 4 snows as well. I know there is a 4x4 in the driveway, but unless I have to pull something heavy or load something big, I much rather drive the car.

Where I am originally from we get a lot more snow than even here in the north east and since I am 19 I have been driving nothing but rear wheel drive MB's through the winters and have yet to get stuck *knocks on wood*. I Always carry a set of chains, just in case.

Obviously there are reasons why I don't drive the CL in the winter, one of them is the road salt, and the others are:

People that drive big huge 4x4 SUV's and forget the fact that even though they can accelerate very quickly on snow, their cars slide just as bad and maybe even further than every other car when locking up the brakes on ice or snow.

And then people that think it is ok to drive around on summer tires with 10 inches of snow on the ground. It's just ignorant. If it snows and you have summer tires on your car, stay home. Period. You endanger yourself and others more than necessary. I am in total agreement with the new law that took effect back home this year - if there is snow on the ground, you are required to have snow tires on your car or get fined.

So, would I want to drive a car that is very dear to me, like my CL, in the winter snow? Nope. Definitely not. But not because the car is not capable to do so, but because I really don't want anyone else to run into it or the salt to slowly eat away on it. However, the S420 with it's heft, traction control, ABS and good snow tires on has so far gone through anything we could find.

--Zax

·
Registered
1994 S500 Sedan
1,214 Posts
Seems as though 400's and 500's perform better in snow than 300's and 600's...?

But, just to be clear and to understand my perspective, my two other vehicles are a Range Rover and a LX470, and, even so, I am still absolutely confident with and I still use my 140 in snow.

Ice is a totally different story, as no one should be out when there is EXTENSIVE ice on the ground, short of a Hummer / Gelandewagen / Defender / Land Cruiser with tire spikes / studs / chains.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts