Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum,

So just yesterday I picked up one of the new cars in the family, a 1992 400SEL Long wheel base which I affectionately call the S420.

This is my first in depth drive/ride/intimate feel of a W140 S-class and just...wow. I don't know what I was doing in a W202 C-class for so long! The ride is just gorgeous. The fit and finish, perfection, the overall quality is beautiful. The engine is really really silky smooth and responsive, with enough power to just cruise along. In this car, I feel like nothing can touch me.

One of the things I've noticed is how gargantuan the car is. I've driven Nissan Patrols, but this just feels bigger however, the steering is very light and relaxed. I love the presence the car brings; the appreciative eyes (or jealous?) and the way other cars move out of the way when they see this beast coming :)

I bought this car for $6,500 including another set of rims without tyres which is okay. The exterior is in a very good condition, however just on the edges of the bonnet toward the windscreen there appears to be some surface rust, should this be a problem? How could I remove this?

On the interior, there are a few more things.

-It has the original Becker CD stacker and headunit however, only the left side speakers seem to be transmitting any sound at all. After 1.5 hours of figuring out how to use the damn thing I finally found the balance Left-Right and tried to get the right speakers to play music. I set it to the maximum (8) for the right, but no noise whatsoever comes from any of the left hand side speakers. Now I haven't ruled out blown speakers, but its highly unlikely that an entire left side is blown. What could be the problem here and where should I start?

Besides that, only minor things that I'd like to clarify such as the driver's mirror which only adjusts right but doesnt dip inward, and when I fold them in, it doesn't fold in completely. What could be the problem here?

The rear ash trays aren't actually hinged, but just sitting in the door. If I open them, they would just pop out completely. I've looked at the way they are connected, there seems to be a jagged plastic rail that a cog runs along and a metal clip in the door, but that's all. What could I do for this also?

Thanks for any help in advance, and I'm so impressed with this car that tomorrow I will be checking out an S500 to add to the stable alongside the 400SEL :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the car; I'm not completely certain about the wheels though... they are nice, and they suit the car's proportions while complimenting them, but they just look a bit gangster.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Hey, a fellow Melbournite!

Did you buy the charcoal grey one that's been on Carpoint for ages? I noticed it disappeared a day ago.

You can put some rust treatment on the edge of the bonnet to stop it growing, but to fix would mean removing the bonnet and respraying. It should cost about $300 for a cash job.

All my side mirrors are defective in one way or another, I'm hoping I can swap internals and end up with one working pair. The cogs and/or motors get tired, and the electrics are known to rot. You'll have to dismantle them to diagnose what's wrong.

I have some door trims at home, I'll look at how the rear ashtrays work.

Can't help with the stereo but nubyOz knows heaps, hopefully he can help.

Which S500 are you looking at?

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Ah, submitted my post while you were posting the pic. It is the one on Carpoint. Yeah, the wheels are a matter of taste, I don't like them much.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you mean carsales then yes :p Met the guy, he seemed like a very nice bloke, and he knows his Mercs. This car is very well cared for and he knows all the little 'tricks' of the Mercedes enthusiast trade :)

Although I found it odd that he stopped the sunroof from lifting upward because he believes thats how they wreck. That was his own DIY after he rebuilt the sunroof, I don't know how he stopped it from doing so but it only slides out and in. Its not a priority now though.

And Hello :) Tomorrow, theres a high possibility that we could have in our possession 2 W140s, it would be bliss.

Also how do you find ownership in Australia, maintanence, fuel and parts wise?

The S500 is a secret for now :p Surprises are fun ;)

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
carpoint.com.au is a clone of carsales, has the same cars but I prefer the way it works. Not sure why they both exist, though.

I can't comment on the running of a W140 as mine is still not registered even though I bought it back in February. Life got interrupted for a while by work, and then the lack of it. I buy parts mostly off the US eBay site. I have about $2500 worth of new suspension components waiting to go on, all sourced from the US. I have a freight forwarder over there who repackages things and sends them to me in the most cost effective way. They are called Bongo International at bongous.com. They also offer services for Europe now, so the German eBay site might be an option for me in the future.

Think I might know which S500 you are looking at, not the $22K one. :yelrotflmao: I'd like to know how people justify that sort of price.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I just took the ash trays out of my spare rear door trims. It's very easy to do. Mine are beige and work perfectly. The coloured trim pieces appear to clip on somehow, careful exploration with a flat bladed screwdriver might get them off without breaking. You can have them if you want.

·
W140 Moderator
7,513 Posts
Hi Mcmerc01 & Welcome to the King of the Road Forum .
Nice to see another aussie has joint in the W140 S Klass ,Congrats on the car ,she looks exellent for the price and yes even that the rims are personal choice , i personally would change them in time ,18's with a lot of rubber on them to avoid those dam potholes damaging the rims since the car is verry heavy (the more rubber the better ) .
Check the PDF file below for the rear doors ashtray,maybe it can help you out somehow,i think that the little latch on top has bend itself ,that's why they fall out when you open them ,as for the rust ,if it isnt bad you could do it yourself like above described or a panelbeater that would do that for you cheap would be a 1st choice ,at least you get to look at your car in joy all over not three quarters ,lol.
Radio problem; sounds like your AMP has gone bust ,check link below .
Add more pics close ups from the problems you have if you can ,Pictures say everything here .:thumbsup:
Ciao

You looking at Page 19 here :
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1385821-rear-bose-amp-integration-adapter-w140-19.html

WARNING : Dont Testdrive the S500 or you wont like the 400SEL anymore ,lol.

I also have a Nissan Patrol ,what a difference he !!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hello Forum,

So just yesterday I picked up one of the new cars in the family, a 1992 400SEL Long wheel base which I affectionately call the S420.

-It has the original Becker CD stacker and headunit however, only the left side speakers seem to be transmitting any sound at all. After 1.5 hours of figuring out how to use the damn thing I finally found the balance Left-Right and tried to get the right speakers to play music. I set it to the maximum (8) for the right, but no noise whatsoever comes from any of the left hand side speakers. Now I haven't ruled out blown speakers, but its highly unlikely that an entire left side is blown. What could be the problem here and where should I start?
Hi,

The tuner in the rear (headunit does NOT contain the actual tuner) has a left and right speaker plug, suspect one has popped out.
Check out:

Basic info on sound setup.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1588516-converting-becker-1432-play-mp3-ipod.html

Location info:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1592516-my-restorations-7.html#post4940597

Some more excellent info:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1385821-rear-bose-amp-integration-adapter-w140.html#post3016343

Cheers

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
Re the mirror, these get broken and just fixed up to hold them in place, once you hear the click click from the mirror either the glass cannot move any further, or the gears are stripped, you can take the cover off to check.

The radio does sound like am output IC has gone down,, this is an easy cheap fix

My new to me 140 CL420 has a genuine 80k miles and yet on the lift yesterday the two front wishbone inner rubber have collapsed, you would never know when you drive the car,, the steering damper is also doing nothing. The wishbones are £250 each plus fitting,, but what the heck, Its a wonderful car to drive and 10 times better than the 210 that I borrowed to come home in.

One of my good friends here in the UK said when you buy these things be prepared to spend say £2k to get these things fixed.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Actually he was onto something there. I also recently took apart my moonroof to clean and lubricate it. As soon as I installed the pop up mechanism bracket I went to test it to see if it works and the darned thing came off the track and jammed in place. I put more lubrication and it was fine. I believe this is how a lot of the sunroofs/moonroofs fail. As long as the pop up mechanism rails and parts are kept lubricated I don't see it failing...

Congrats on the 400, the previous owner had good taste as far as the S600 grille but not so much on the rims. They are interesting rims though, I had expected it to be chrome lol.

Good luck with the S500 and keep us updated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone :D I didn't expect such a warm welcome. I love it!

As for the rims, I have the original ones, the only reason these really are on the car is that it had to get through roadworthy and perhaps due to the lack of rubber on the original rims :p

Thanks for the info on the speakers, thats the biggest thing I want to fix. Its so annoying when you have such a good stereo and you can't use it to its full capacity! But you know, even with only the left side working, it still has more speakers than most cars! :p

I'll check out the Ashtrays next week as I'm very busy now; I want to try to fix them before taking some off someone who could damn well need them more :p Thanks for the offer I'll let you know.

The S500 I was going to buy fell through. Was supposed to receive the car today but the guy called up and said he got a better offer; I'm angry to say the least.

Right now I'm about to check out a 1994 S320; even though its not my engine of choice (I'd love another V8) this particular example is no less than immaculate all around and the price is reasonable. I'll let people know how it goes :)

Worst case scenario, there are no more decent W140s for sale and I might just have to settle for an ML430 :'(

·
Registered
630 Posts
Greetings and congratulations on your recent purchase!

Re Your rims: I like them and will buy them if you want to sell.

How much you want for them?

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you are after a V8 I have one, I'm currently in two minds about selling it however, as I am in the states a lot & it doesn't get driven a whole lot, & then when I get home & drive it i think how could I ever sell this beauty! I'm in Melb too SE suburbs. PM me if you want more info!

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I'll check out the Ashtrays next week as I'm very busy now; I want to try to fix them before taking some off someone who could damn well need them more :p Thanks for the offer I'll let you know.

The S500 I was going to buy fell through. Was supposed to receive the car today but the guy called up and said he got a better offer; I'm angry to say the least.

Right now I'm about to check out a 1994 S320; even though its not my engine of choice (I'd love another V8) this particular example is no less than immaculate all around and the price is reasonable. I'll let people know how it goes :)
I don't need the ash trays, so don't worry.

So, which S500 was it?

Is the S320 that silver one with sexy AMG wheels?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry S420L, I would have geniunly been interested had I seen the message earlier!

We just took order of our car! I'm so relieved. Tlampre its the one on Carsales.com.au, silver with AMG wheels, the dealer car.

I had a look at it and was very impressed, and the engine is very healthy. Its at Porsche Center Brighton now and they will be delivering the car to us next Saturday after it has been detailed.

So now we have two W140s. The S320L is in perfect condition, and the 400SEL needs a bit of work starting with the stereo...

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
That S320 looked like good value from the photos. Did it also have the full rear A/C? I noticed the charcoal filter switch on the centre console but there were no pics of the rear seat area.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts