Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz ML 320 2002
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our car suddenly has no power event I press the gas pedal deep. max only 60-70 Km/hr, and the engine really hesitate every time you want to run faster. Our mechanic just check all from Mechanical and electrical, he told us no problems with mechanical, and he already checked all the electronics attached to the engine no problems. remove the fuel tank too, no problem. Adn all still the same has no power. So next week he want to check the ECU? Is anyone has this problems before, and if the ECU ever has problem for this car ML 320 2002 W163. Thank you if any body can help us.

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,137 Posts
Is there a check engine light on? If not, there should be. Pull the diagnostic codes and post them here.

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
918 Posts
No check engine light ?

Use an MB capable scanner or software to check for codes, there may be some stored historic codes that give clues.

I've had 'blocked rear Catalytic converters' that decreased performance a bit like strangling exhaust flow on both w210 wagon (V6 like yours) and V8 Ml500.

Reason it can occur is rear Cats aren't O2 sensor equipped so when they degrade its slow & subtle.

Plus no light comes on.
Eventually though it can back things up enough that front Cat sensors or an engine miss code will set.

This can be checked by aiming IR non contact Thermometer (gun style) at Front vs Rear of said Cat.

Proper function R will be measurably hotter than F like a 30-100 deg rise.

On a bad Cat the heat is greater in Front by similar amount, as heat backs up & flow decreases.

Solution for us was to ditch both sets of rear Cats.
We live in Texas the land of the free so no problem.

If you're emission controlled a new set might be required (if test shows them bad).

There might be other causes but it seems you're otherwise good.

Is this ML new to you ?

David in Texas

·
Registered
918 Posts
Did he check Fuel pressure ?
At the fuel rail towards radiator there should be a large 'Schrader valve' to connect fuel pressure test gauge
Check at idle & at 2000 rpm hopefully no drop, if it drops, I'd suspect blocked fuel filter or bad pump.

Mine shows 52psi idle, 50psi @2000 holds steady no fluctuations.

Hope this helps ya...

Sounds like you're a Non-US model ML, right ?

David

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,985 Posts
Our car suddenly has no power event I press the gas pedal deep. max only 60-70 Km/hr, and the engine really hesitate every time you want to run faster. Our mechanic just check all from Mechanical and electrical, he told us no problems with mechanical, and he already checked all the electronics attached to the engine no problems. remove the fuel tank too, no problem. Adn all still the same has no power. So next week he want to check the ECU? Is anyone has this problems before, and if the ECU ever has problem for this car ML 320 2002 W163. Thank you if any body can help us.
Some of it is sounds like BS. Removing fuel tank takes lifting body off the frame.

Need to check fuel pressure and delivery volume.

Then check exhaust back pressure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some to is sounds like BS. Removing fuel tank takes lifting body off the frame.

Thank you for the open discussion.
The check engine in dashboard nothing is on.
We bought this ML, 9 months ago from the 1st hand.

Our mechanic already change the fuel pump, but since then the gauge in the dashboard not working at all, not reliable.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,016 Posts
Thank you for the open discussion.
The check engine in dashboard nothing is on.
We bought this ML, 9 months ago from the 1st hand.

Our mechanic already change the fuel pump, but since then the gauge in the dashboard not working at all, not reliable.
No CEL doesnt mean you dont have any saved error codes . You still need to scan. Borrow a scanner if you are able to and scan. Post any codes

Agreed. Your mechanic is not reliable (probably doesnt work on MBs or know them) Was the gas gauge working before all of this work?
some reading for you, if this is the gas gauge you are referring to - Fuel gauge problem

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No CEL doesnt mean you dont have any saved error codes . You still need to scan. Borrow a scanner if you are able to and scan. Post any codes

Agreed. Your mechanic is not reliable (probably doesnt work on MBs or know them) Was the gas gauge working before all of this work?
some reading for you, if this is the gas gauge you are referring to - Fuel gauge problem
the problem the same, after changing the new fuel pump 7 months ago, it was working for a while then our off the blue working then not, if we fill up the tank too full not working at all, when almost the end with the light on then it work, but sometimes not working at all. now is never work.

Do you think it will influence the power of the car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Now we have a new mechanic (hopefully more experience and better, we live in small city and 2 authorized dealer for Mercedes Benz garage are not reliable event worst, they are robber)

Our new mechanic now dealing with the car, his conclusion is no problems with the mechanical, probably with electrical that's why he will check the ECU (my husband, his mechanic too but he is not with me at the moment in France, is really rare the ECU problem? ).

For me, i will see what the new mechanic will found out.

greet

Mayan

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,016 Posts
You need to have your new mechanic scan for codes. Post them here when this is done.
Curious to see what he finds after scanning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No check engine light ?

Use an MB capable scanner or software to check for codes, there may be some stored historic codes that give clues.

I've had 'blocked rear Catalytic converters' that decreased performance a bit like strangling exhaust flow on both w210 wagon (V6 like yours) and V8 Ml500.

Reason it can occur is rear Cats aren't O2 sensor equipped so when they degrade its slow & subtle.

Plus no light comes on.
Eventually though it can back things up enough that front Cat sensors or an engine miss code will set.

This can be checked by aiming IR non contact Thermometer (gun style) at Front vs Rear of said Cat.

Proper function R will be measurably hotter than F like a 30-100 deg rise.

On a bad Cat the heat is greater in Front by similar amount, as heat backs up & flow decreases.

Solution for us was to ditch both sets of rear Cats.
We live in Texas the land of the free so no problem.

If you're emission controlled a new set might be required (if test shows them bad).

There might be other causes but it seems you're otherwise good.

Is this ML new to you ?

David in Texas
thank you for the input, i will discuss with the mechanic here.
the ML we bought it 9 months ago.

is 2nd hand from the 1st owner (in Jakarta), but we lived in smaller city middle java, so different service and garage..

ok we will try
thank you again

thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some of it is sounds like BS. Removing fuel tank takes lifting body off the frame.

thank you for this,
I dont know if the mechanic here has to full set proper tools for check everything.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Sounds good. Everybody here is glad to be of help, most of these guys are really sharp !

Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong but shes describing a restriction on power - would / could that be an ECU issue ?

It seems like an ECU issue would rather manifest as a 'failure to start' / 'engine dies suddenly', right ?

Rather if all seems well, but power is limited it sounds like either insufficient fuel flow OR exhaust restriction - and thus the limiting of speed.

Once upon a time I bought an 1986 Suzuki Samurai (small sport utility - 4 cylinder) that had been used on a golf course at low speeds always - and it got clogged up. For 10 years they never went over 25mph in this little Zuki.

So I buy it (knowing it had issues) and it's catalytics are so clogged up it can't go over 45mph - like their ML.

My solution was to get out on the highway - and key here - we lived in a rural area with little traffic & a giant 1 miles square grid, 4 miles per 'lap'. So I keep this little rig floored and every lap it goes about 3mph faster than the last lap. After a few laps, she's doing 60mph and eventually faster as the Catalytic converter 'cleaned itself out'.

Talk about 'blowing out the cobwebs !!!'

Anyhow, ran like a dream after that.

So, if your ML was driven mainly in city stop & go, slow speeds or seldom warmed up on long highway stretches that could be your issue.

The backpressure test that Witek posted would tell you.

If you can't locate a backpressure gauge - they can be a tad hard to find, the Infrared Non-Contact Thermometer method should also show if those Rear Cats are clogged.

Scan for codes even if Check Engine light isn't lit. (those bulbs can fail. maybe it's lit but burnt out, lol...)

Best Regards, David in Texas

Keep at it, you'll discover the issue !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds good. Everybody here is glad to be of help, most of these guys are really sharp !

Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong but shes describing a restriction on power - would / could that be an ECU issue ?

It seems like an ECU issue would rather manifest as a 'failure to start' / 'engine dies suddenly', right ?

Rather if all seems well, but power is limited it sounds like either insufficient fuel flow OR exhaust restriction - and thus the limiting of speed.

Once upon a time I bought an 1986 Suzuki Samurai (small sport utility - 4 cylinder) that had been used on a golf course at low speeds always - and it got clogged up. For 10 years they never went over 25mph in this little Zuki.

So I buy it (knowing it had issues) and it's catalytics are so clogged up it can't go over 45mph - like their ML.

My solution was to get out on the highway - and key here - we lived in a rural area with little traffic & a giant 1 miles square grid, 4 miles per 'lap'. So I keep this little rig floored and every lap it goes about 3mph faster than the last lap. After a few laps, she's doing 60mph and eventually faster as the Catalytic converter 'cleaned itself out'.

Talk about 'blowing out the cobwebs !!!'

Anyhow, ran like a dream after that.

So, if your ML was driven mainly in city stop & go, slow speeds or seldom warmed up on long highway stretches that could be your issue.

The backpressure test that Witek posted would tell you.

If you can't locate a backpressure gauge - they can be a tad hard to find, the Infrared Non-Contact Thermometer method should also show if those Rear Cats are clogged.

Scan for codes even if Check Engine light isn't lit. (those bulbs can fail. maybe it's lit but burnt out, lol...)

Best Regards, David in Texas

Keep at it, you'll discover the issue !
Thanks again...

Our car, went for out side city... in highway at least once a week... so can run over 140km/hr if the police not chasing us... (but no body chase us here, not event detection for alcohol...). so start when we bought the car, we had to bring it from Jakarta to Semarang (500km in highway).. so is already good for the car, then regularly like i said once a week highway...

but Now our mechanic with my agreement send the ECU to jakarta to reboost or re-program. Because he cant find any problems...

ok this the update.
thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replace your fuel filter!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like an error has put the auto into limp home status.
Check battery - should NEVER go below 12v
Obtain a tester and check for codes - hopefully it will narrow down the area to check
Does the problem show when vehicle is in motion or does it show when started, watch gauges on dashboard

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
9 Posts
My ‘99 ML 320 had same symptoms with no CEL lit. The local dealer sent it home to die October 2018 but I took that as a sign to take back control of my car & wallet. I eventually checked the fuel rail pressure with gauge from auto parts store and found 25 psi with normal of ~55 psi. Reviewing records the fuel filter had > 100,000 miles on it and a $70 fuel filter and my own work revived my car. Along the way I have removed the speedometer to change illumination bulbs and found that the dealer had twisted the Check Engine bulb just enough to deactivate it. There WERE 3 illumination bulbs blown and I changed those but the check engine bulb was not blown just deactivated.

·
Registered
918 Posts
yes we did..
thank you
Good move. Next verify fuel pressure at rail port to be in the correct 50-55 psi range & holds steady when rpms are raised.

David

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So now we changed the fuel filter, the bougies... and the ECU we will receive soon from jakarta, and the ECU garage said some error in IC? i have no clue what is IC?

Ok will see if the ECU arrive, our mechanic will start the car...

thanks
maya

1 - 20 of 22 Posts