Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...in Texas! It came off the truck Saturday morning. Of course I was in Houston. Going to get it next Saturday. Dealer photo fresh off the truck.

Wayne
Forcing myself to stay at work for a week.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alas. For the first time ever I actually used all of my sick time because I was actually...........

..............sick. For real.

No worries. I'm taking next week off.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Congrats on new GLK, color combo and wheels are hot!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. The day we put the car together we had the luxury of an SLK350 in Palladium silver on the showroom floor a few feet from where I was sitting. By the time we got to paint selection, I knew what I wanted. We took a walk around the lot and found a few more in Palladium for confirmation.

Truth be known, I really wanted the SLK350.

Wayne

·
Registered
11 Posts
You and me both - hopefully in a few years I can convince the wife to let me sell my Bimmer and pick up a used one. Tough sell for me though with no back seat..

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The next time we visited the dealership, an E350 Cabriolet made me forget the SLK350.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Elves of Bremen smiled upon us. Pirelli tires.

The service folks at Classic-Tyler are hard at work with their STAR computer trying to give Lisa the full time headlights that she wants. Stay tuned.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
The service folks at Classic-Tyler are hard at work with their STAR computer trying to give Lisa the full time headlights that she wants. Stay tuned.

Wayne
Not sure if it will be full-time headlights. Most likely it will headlights running in DRL mode (Most Benz's allow programming daytime running light mode which runs at lower intensity than headlights).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We may be up against the wall on this one. The car has the Bi-Xenon light package. As long as the headlights & tailights are on, reduced intensity would be fine. Front LEDs and parking lights only are a no go. We will find out what is/is not possible on Saturday.

We are spoiled by 12 1/2 years of full time lights all around without having to remember to turn them on or off.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts

We are spoiled by 12 1/2 years of full time lights all around without having to remember to turn them on or off.

Wayne
Note: Leave headlight switch in "A" for automatic mode. Never need to remember to turn lights on or off. Automatic lights is feature standard on all premium cars today.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You and everyone else miss the point. Unless the headlights AND tailights are on at some level of illumination, we are going to most annoyed. The "A" setting doesn't suffice if only the little bulbs are on. The way I read the literature, this is not what happens on the GLK. I hope that I am wrong.

Can someone with a GLK & Active Lighting package tell me EXACTLY which bulbs are on in daylight with the main light switch in "A" mode? A photo would be great. Thanks!

Wayne

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
You and everyone else miss the point. Unless the headlights AND tailights are on at some level of illumination, we are going to most annoyed. The "A" setting doesn't suffice if only the little bulbs are on. The way I read the literature, this is not what happens on the GLK. I hope that I am wrong.

Wayne
1. There might be a reason (or several reasons) why everybody is ( consistently too) missing the point.:)

2. Trivial annoyance is one thing, safety is another and much more important to Mercedes Benz. Running taillights for example in daytime is a bad practice from a safety standpoint because it diminishes the daytime visibility of the very important Brake Lights.

3. In short in the automatic mode (in bright daylight), the lights run in DRL mode (yes the little LEDs) for safety reasons.

4. Note: I was responding to "We are spoiled by 12 1/2 years of full time lights all around without having to remember to turn them on or off." which is addressed by use of the "A" automatic lights mode.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I quit. Anybody want to buy an unused GLK? This is "The Emporer's New Clothes" for sure.

Wayne

·
Registered
58 Posts
On my AMG Package GLK with DRL:

"A" for me (See page 102 of Owners Manual):

1) turns on the main low-beam (non-high beam) headlamps @ sundown & leaves them on until daylight or inside a garage/tunnel where no daylight is there.

2) The DRL are on when the position 2 & 3 are turned on the ignition or basically when the car is turned on.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Sorry. But you've got a great GLK on the way! Auto lights or not.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On my AMG Package GLK with DRL:

"A" for me (See page 102 of Owners Manual):

1) turns on the main low-beam (non-high beam) headlamps @ sundown & leaves them on until daylight.

2) The DRL are on when the position 2 & 3 are turned on the ignition or basically when the car is turned on.
EPIC FAIL!

Since placing our order I have paid particular attention to oncoming M-B autos & SUVs. The little LED strips suffer from two disqualifying defects: Too low to the ground. Too little light. Audi's string of pearls along the lower edge of the headlight covers work much better.

Meanwhile, my totally unsafe, antique, halogen & tunsgten lit Volvo rolls merrily along totally visible to any and all from all directions including the terminally brain dead folks who drive around in the dark with no lights on at all.

Wayne
Crawling back under his rock to avoid the napalm. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
1. There might be a reason (or several reasons) why everybody is ( consistently too) missing the point.:)

2. Trivial annoyance is one thing, safety is another and much more important to Mercedes Benz. Running taillights for example in daytime is a bad practice from a safety standpoint.

3. In short in the automatic mode (in bright daylight), the lights run in DRL mode (yes the little LEDs) for safety reasons.

4. Note: I was responding to "We are spoiled by 12 1/2 years of full time lights all around without having to remember to turn them on or off." which is addressed by use of the "A" automatic lights mode.

Agreed. Sometimes, I don't want people to see me coming or going. LOL!

EPIC FAIL!

Since placing our order I have paid particular attention to oncoming M-B autos & SUVs. The little LED strips suffer from two disqualifying defects: Too low to the ground. Too little light. Audi's string of pearls along the lower edge of the headlight covers work much better.

I can see people's eyes moving down when they see the DRL on the GLK.
It's noticeable to every1 except Stevie Wonder.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts