Registered
1991 300CE RIP, 1999 C280, 2000 C280, 2000 C230K RIP, 2011 C300
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Window Vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

We're waiting to hear from insurance company on whether they will total the car.

Are you pretty much stuck with what they offer you?

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
2,267 Posts
You can argue the value a bit based on condition of the car, options, comparable sales and whatever you think makes your car not representative of their analysis, but my guess on this car is you’d be doing well if they budged a few hundred.

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
8,238 Posts
Bummer.
That's why I use 2-chl DC running in parkmode, with a DC backup battery to run off, when parked on the streets.

·
Registered
95,94,93 e320/300e
490 Posts
Sucky. Hit n runs Happens all the time in my area. Makes me wanna drive a big ass gmc duece. I bet if you drive around in the area you’ll find the other car. Ya it’s totaled. Gather up any recent receits you might have.

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,937 Posts
Glenmore, I work in collision repair, but I rarely have to see the other side of it thank goodness. First step is figuring out what the car is worth. The insurance company will do that on their own, but it doesn't hurt for you to do your own research so you know what a reasonable number is. I would look online, see what you can buy a similar one for. Obviously they are getting harder to find, but try to find one with similar mileage, similar options and see what they are listed for. Keep in mind, the insurance company will argue that the price you find is going to be a retail price if its on a car lot, which is a marked up price, and they will want to pay actual value not marked up price. But I agree 100% on getting any recent receipts, anything will help to raise the dollar amount. If you feel they just completely low-balled you, no you do not have to accept it, but now the process will be more drawn out, but at that point you can hire a third party independent appraiser to determine the value of your car, but then the question is whether what you pay the appraiser is going to be more than the extra money they might get you for the car. Also, if it is in nice shape, I would argue that. The first thing they try to do when doing an evaluation on price, is find things wrong with the car. Are the seats torn, is the glass pitted, is there oil leaking, headliner sagging, prior body damage, etc. These are all things they use to devalue the car. Assuming yours was kept up, argue the point. If you squeak enough, they will come up in price. Hard to say how much, but if you arent happy with the first offer it is definitely worth arguing your case.

I don't know how big an area you live in, but I'd be driving around looking for a red vehicle with white paint scraped on its side. I'm leaning towards it being a truck also, seems how the tire marks are a little taller than what your tires are.

·
Registered
1991 300CE RIP, 1999 C280, 2000 C280, 2000 C230K RIP, 2011 C300
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rest of the story. Most likely the result of the weird confluence of current events, the insurance company offered a reasonable settlement. We paid 7000 for the car 10 years ago and the settlement was for 7700. We were surprised at the amount but it's sad to think what inflation has wrought on the dollar in just 10 years and the effect the pandemic has had on the value of used cars.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,656 Posts
That damage is mental. But excellent settlement well done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts