Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
It's been awhile since we had some not nice comment here.
I actually miss some drama.
But still....not nice.
You sure? I'd be happy to start a good 'ol Benzworld throw down. Here it goes :

DJet sucks and US spec trim looks better than Euro trim. Guys who say they like it more are just dainty panzies.

😆

·
Registered
373 Posts

DJet sucks and US spec trim looks better than Euro trim. Guys who say they like it more are just dainty panzies.

😆

😆
You might as well add euro headlights to the mix unless you have them yourself.
:)

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
DJet sucks
Of course it does. That is the whole basis of a D-jet.

-Jetronic (1967–1979)
Analog fuel injection, 'D' is from German: "Druck" meaning pressure. Inlet manifold depression (vacuum) is measured using a pressure sensor located in, or connected to the intake manifold, in order to calculate the duration of fuel injection pulses.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
They were obviously unaware of the gross tonnage rule I mentioned ;)

We live and have often sailed and raced on part of the St. Lawrence Seaway. Recreational boats can use or cross the ship channels, but the large ships, with limited maneuverability, have right of way. This regardless of whether the rec boats are power or sailboats.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Spot on, mate. Sail always has the right of way. In this particular example, the 124,000 ton Hanne Knutsen tanker failed to yield and the sailors had the right to scratch the tanker's nice paint job.
View attachment 2606376
Hey... that sailboat has some nerve raming that poor tanker minding his own business.

·
Registered
117 Posts

😆
So the one that caused all the trouble is silent? Gone? Not even reading the replies? I'll bet he is but won't explain the reasons to disagree. May as well talk politics......lets not
He did get replies to his remarks here. This penguin is good! now that's funny

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure of any other reasons, but my boats were always right hand drive, ostensibly to counteract torque when the boat is lightly loaded (most of my boats were relatively small high powered ski boats). Herewith a 17' 10" jet boat w/blueprinted Olds 445. We used to joke that it could pass anything but a gas pump!:eek:

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Is torque an issue with a jet boat?

I can see that having the steering on the starboard side might help a little in reducing list to port in prop driven boats. But that would only help if there was just one person in the boat. So not likely the main reason?

·
Registered
125 Posts
This has always made me wonder too - makes no sense to swap sides as opposed to car driving. As a comparison, the pilot in an aircraft sits on the left side of the aircraft and when passing oncoming traffic, say when taxiing, you pass pilot-to-pilot for the simple reason that you are better placed to view the oncoming aircraft and maintain separation. OK, obviously does not apply to singe seaters/inline fighters etc.

In general a substantial proportion of small boats have the operator on the right hand side - go to any bay or marina to see that. As someone said: drag boats have the driver on the left but otherwise it is all right side. So why? No real reason has been suggested so far apart from maybe tradition. I for one would really like to know if there is a definitive reason.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So why? No real reason has been suggested so far apart from maybe tradition. I for one would really like to know if there is a definitive reason.
I don't think we will ever get a definitive answer. This article mentions some of the reasons mentioned in this thread. But it's still just conjecture!

·
Registered
661 Posts
As a comparison, the pilot in an aircraft sits on the left side of the aircraft and when passing oncoming traffic, say when taxiing, you pass pilot-to-pilot for the simple reason that you are better placed to view the oncoming aircraft and maintain separation.
In rotary wing aircraft the pilot sits in the starboard seat. Explain that.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts