Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it's OT, I know, that's why I said it was OT.

When I got my RAV4, it passed Toyota's pre-purchase inspection and most everything is fine, but the most vague of all warning lights comes on, "Check Engine." The dealer I bought it from, who is a helpful guy and doesn't even bat an eyelid when you say, "Pre-purchase inspection" has been helping me and we've checked the codes with his computer. I've been getting, essentially (can't remember the exact words) a random misfiring on 2 cylinders and an indicator on the fuel being lean. I've posted to 2 Toyota boards and in 48 hours haven't even gotten a "Welcome to the boards" message, not even a smart remark. In that 48 hours the posts have been viewed something like 12 times each (one post was made about 14 hours after the other, when I got no responses on the first board). So far I've tried toyotafans.net and toyotanation.com. Nothing. Not even a smart-ass remark as I can always count on from here.

Is this board so unusual in Internet car forums in that we're blessed with a lot of people who know what they're talking about or that care enough to give some kind of response, even if nobody knows the answer?

I see newbies come in with questions all the time and we answer them as quickly as possible and go out of our way to make them feel welcome before we start treating them as part of the group and therefore a target for razzing. If someone asks a 107 question, we get them some answer quickly.

Is it that unusual and can I count on most car forums being as unhelpful as the ones I've tried to get Toyota help from?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,104 Posts
Yes, it's OT, I know, that's why I said it was OT.

When I got my RAV4, it passed Toyota's pre-purchase inspection and most everything is fine, but the most vague of all warning lights comes on, "Check Engine." The dealer I bought it from, who is a helpful guy and doesn't even bat an eyelid when you say, "Pre-purchase inspection" has been helping me and we've checked the codes with his computer. I've been getting, essentially (can't remember the exact words) a random misfiring on 2 cylinders and an indicator on the fuel being lean. I've posted to 2 Toyota boards and in 48 hours haven't even gotten a "Welcome to the boards" message, not even a smart remark. In that 48 hours the posts have been viewed something like 12 times each (one post was made about 14 hours after the other, when I got no responses on the first board). So far I've tried toyotafans.net and toyotanation.com. Nothing. Not even a smart-ass remark as I can always count on from here.

Is this board so unusual in Internet car forums in that we're blessed with a lot of people who know what they're talking about or that care enough to give some kind of response, even if nobody knows the answer?

I see newbies come in with questions all the time and we answer them as quickly as possible and go out of our way to make them feel welcome before we start treating them as part of the group and therefore a target for razzing. If someone asks a 107 question, we get them some answer quickly.

Is it that unusual and can I count on most car forums being as unhelpful as the ones I've tried to get Toyota help from?
Let me help you out, Hal, your Toyota sucks.

In five words or less.....Where ya been?

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Let me rant, too - there ARE American made cars, too. The Japanese turned around the industry by manufacturing snazzy looking, decently engineered low grade vehicles.

That led to companies like Mercedes following suit to compete and left the American companies in the dust. That's why this board and the 126 board are so popular...because the owners appreciate when cars were cars.

I'm on a bit of a rant, because Toyota is funding the political coffers of a bunch of Senators who are trying to bust the unions to protect their own greedy asses and Toyota's and to trample down the auto industry in the US.

You bought it, you enjoy it!!!

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
smack said:
I'm on a bit of a rant, because Toyota is funding the political coffers of a bunch of Senators who are trying to bust the unions to protect their own greedy asses and Toyota's and to trample down the auto industry in the US.
And you think MB isn't?

smack said:
You bought it, you enjoy it!!!
Hal buying a used Toyota is no different than any of us buying used MB's.....

Hal said:
I've been getting, essentially (can't remember the exact words) a random misfiring on 2 cylinders and an indicator on the fuel being lean.
If they are not listed on your service repair order, ask your service adviser for the specific trouble codes retrieved by the tech's data reader. You might try asking with that added info to the Toyota boards or buy a subscription here at ALLDATAdiy.com and do your own research.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
....because Toyota is funding the political coffers of a bunch of Senators who are trying to bust the unions to protect their own greedy asses and Toyota's and to trample down the auto industry in the US.
More than likely the Toyota was built in the US or Canada.
Meanwhile the so-called US industry sells cars made mostly in Korea, Australia and God-knows-where-else.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
More than likely the Toyota was built in the US or Canada.
Meanwhile the so-called US industry sells cars made mostly in Korea, Australia and God-knows-where-else.
You're right, my last Ford p/u came from, shudder, Canada.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First, I stopped by and talked with the dealer today. He has a 1989 Jag XJS on his lot that I drooled over, but he told me everything wrong with it and why he didn't even want to take it as a trade in. Then we talked about my car. Since our last chat, when he checked error codes, he talked with his mechanic who did the work. The mechanic said that he knew what it was, and he must have left something loose (I forgot which part, I was in a hurry then) and can fix it for me on Monday, so that should solve the issue.

As to where I've been: I've gotten obsessive. I've finally added a regular cardio workout to my day, plus about 2 hours of dance each day, but I'm also pushing a few extra private lessons a week to get a new routine ready for New Year's Eve -- and it'll help to have that routine for competitions since it's Viennese waltz, which is very fast (doing it for one lesson leaves me almost as drained as doing an elliptical machine for the same time!). It's all helping me lose weight and I'm having more fun on the dance floor that I've had in years (outside of certain parameters -- guess I need to point that out since someone in this group is sure to slip in an innuendo).

I'm also adjusting to having a life and not being stuck at the computer for as much as I used to be. Since I'm focused more on writing than on programming now, I don't have to be at the keyboard as much. A lot of the work for my writing is easy to do in my head before I actually put it down. With programming, when I get an idea, if I can't test it right away, I can't be sure it does what I expect or need. If I get an idea for writing, I can integrate it into my script, figure out what's going on, and just keep going without having to type it in. That means I'm just not at the keyboard as much. (With the gym, the dancing, and more time to get around, I'm now down a total of 8 belt notches!)

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
If they are not listed on your service repair order, ask your service adviser for the specific trouble codes retrieved by the tech's data reader. You might try asking with that added info to the Toyota boards or buy a subscription here at ALLDATAdiy.com and do your own research.[/QUOTE]

Just an FYI: many public libraries have subscriptions to Alldata. You may have to pay a nickel a page for a printout, but it's a lot cheaper than the subscription price.

Plus you have an excellent excuse to go to a nice quiet place that smells wonderfully of books. :)

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,104 Posts
(With the gym, the dancing, and more time to get around, I'm now down a total of 8 belt notches!)
Good job, Hal.

What part of "in five words or less" didn't you understand?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good job, Hal.

What part of "in five words or less" didn't you understand?
What part of it have I ever understood? :surrender:

Actually, I wrote that post in a hurry, just before leaving to meet a friend for a dance. I meant to leave it and edit when I got back, but forgot and hit "Submit" out of habit.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Hal this is exactly why no modern cars will ever be classics! The electronics don't age well and are a real pain to diagnose. Even new mercedes have multiple computers.

We've been real lucky with the pickup, 206k miles with only mild maintanence. Actually the hardest part was getting the exhaust manifolt to seat with the water jacket. The gasket itself was like 60$ so you don't want to mess up. I think many US cars are made in Canada, I think lots of Ford are. I even think the little pickup is. It must have to do with the fact that importing a finished car bring heavy duties and tariffs, but if you import the pieces and assemble them it doesn't. Cars are probably part of NAFTA so canada can import assembled cars without duties.

Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts