Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it's a Japanese Industrial Standard crosshead screw.

For 20 years I've been routinely stripping the heads of "Phillips" screws on my Kawasaki and I've probably done a few on the Subaru too, being ignorant of the difference. Particularly annoying when trying to remove carb float bowls which have screws buried deep in the guts of a motorcycle.

Phillips vs JIS.jpg

While this is not a Benz issue, I imagine some of you also have Japanese stuff to which this is pertinent. The problem occurs because of the amount of torque that gets applied to some rather small surface areas. If you've got a tool kit that came with your Japanese bike or car, the screwdriver in it will be a JIS screwdriver. You can use a JIS tool on a Phillips but you can't do vice versa without possibly stripping the screw.

I couldn't find any when I was last at Hazard Fraught Tools, so it doesn't look like the Chinese use them, but I'm only assuming. But you can make one out of a Phillips head one, courtesy of some Wing Nuts:

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15547

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Since I've never been called a professional "tool man", I regularly use the wrong tool for the job and have run into the differences you point out between Phillips and JIS heads. I could never understand why some of the drill screw heads in my toolbox sets fit while others didn't fit very well, if at all! The problem is I was never aware that there was a difference! Unfortunately, I'll still never be a professional "tool man", but thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Subaru automobile and a Suzuki motorcycle.

I own a set of JIS screwdrivers.

I use regular Philips screwdrivers on the Subaru.

I use JIS screwdrivers on the Suzuki.

Not all Japanese vehicles are fitted with JIS screws. I also have Honda, Mazda, and Toyota cars and I’ve owned Nissan in the past. All Philips. However the bikes get JIS.

Luckily Japanese bikes run really well and repairs are minimal. I wonder WTH the guys who own Hesketh motorcycles used — imperial or metric or what? Heh.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,599 Posts
Here's another fly for the Phillips ointment. Pozidrive screws. They have been used by the auto industry for decades.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Let's not forget Frearson & Pozidriv! And there are quite a few more.

But a quick way to tell if you're dealing with a Phillips or JIS is the JIS will have a single dot or an "X" to one side of the cross slot. Learned that real quick after stripping a few on a Mazda.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,105 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Have you dealt with the all aluminum JIS screws on a Honda motorbike? Once you get them off you never want to screw them back in... it was routine to replace every JIS screw with allen head metrics. I still have a stockpile of these things.

Why anyone would design an engine with aluminum screws is beyond comprehension.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
Have you dealt with the all aluminum JIS screws on a Honda motorbike? Once you get them off you never want to screw them back in... it was routine to replace every JIS screw with allen head metrics. I still have a stockpile of these things.

Why anyone would design an engine with aluminum screws is beyond comprehension.
I have seen aircraft AL bolts but never on anything else. I have to ask my Honda biker friends.

·
Premium Member
5,056 Posts
Yep, sometimes indispensable! Worked on the door close plate and the screws survived.
A good tool for old farts who aren't as strong as they used to be.

·
Registered
648 Posts
JIS / Phillips Screws

I was a Honda Motocycle Mechanic early in the 1970's and quickly learned that when faced with a 1956 ~ 1975 #2 looking philips screw on a Honda side cover, use a standard #3 Philips and no damage will occur .

Grainger, Inc. stocks a wide selection of good quality JIS screw drivers .

I've bought them off Amazon too .

I still use a hand impact driver 50 years later, they work great but only if :

A. you use the correct bit

B. whatever bit you use fits the screw head firmly ~ if it's all cheesed up from the DPO/DPM, get the proper size bit and a 32 oz. hammer and bang the bit in until it fits properly, then use the hand impact tool .

C. you *SMACK* it ~ if you use a light Chinese hammer or just tap the tool, it cannot work and you'll think it doesn't work when in fact they work very well and never leave tool marks on the original JIS screws *if* you use it correctly .

I was unable to get the door striker screws loose using a hand impact tool, I ever tried smacking the crap out if it with a 3 # single jack, no dice, the electric impact buzzed them loose *instantly* .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts