Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A dude I talked to at the Benz dealer said he's trying to bring back a sedan he has which currently has basket weave rims on it. He offered to swap a set of basket weave rims from an early 80's sedan for my steal wheel and chrome hubcaps. I told him that I like my chrome caps, but emailed him in case we decide to work something out. I told him I didn't think the chrome caps are too hard to come by, but he said his car is a light blue, or Astral Blue.

I realize there could very likely be offset issues. Wheels are far from my mind right now, but I generally do like the basket weaves, just not as much as Pentas.

Maybe those basket weaves could work well on that Delaware Red AMG. Hmmm...???? Anybody want to buy a red 500 AMG with basket weave rims?

Anybody have a set of rims and hubcaps? In light blue?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,493 Posts
I dude I talked to at the Benz dealer said he's trying to bring back a sedan he has which currently has basket weave rims on it. He offered to swap a set of basket weave rims from an early 80's sedan for my steal wheel and chrome hubcaps. I told him that I like my chrome caps, but emailed him in case we decide to work something out. I told him I didn't think the chrome caps are too hard to come by, but he said his car is a light blue, or Astral Blue.

I realize there could very likely be offset issues. Wheels are far from my mind right now, but I generally do like the basket weaves, just not as much as Pentas.

Maybe those basket weaves could work well on that Delaware Red AMG. Hmmm...???? Anybody want to buy a red 500 AMG with basket weave rims?

Anybody have a set of rims and hubcaps? In light blue?
We need pics so that we can decide if we need to verbally spank you or not.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to get them from him, but the guy is now saying that they are in storage. So go ahead and assume worst case. Just spank on! I think I can take it today. I've abused the forum quite a bit today. :eek:)

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
A set of period basket weaves would be a great trade for steely rims with hubcaps. Basically you have to upgrade the wheels if you ever want to use a performance tire as no one makes a 14in performance tire any more.

Depends on what size the basket weaves are but if they are 15" or larger they might be interesting. If you really want penta/ronals just wait there are enough out there you'll find some eventually.

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, here they are 14", and does want some cash

The fella told me today that he would like some cash along with the trade. No amounts were specified. It sounds like a little bit of a hassle, but if I can help someone out, I'll be glad to assist.

After seeing a picture of the car, I can see how he might prefer the chrome cap look. I guess the basket weaves look more appropriate on a car with AMG mods.

Attachments

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

I always have thought the basket weaves to better suit the SLC.

Like daryn's metallic brown with gold weaves would rock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts