Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To say that I am a bit bummed by my VW TDi right now is putting it lightly. Some back story, a week ago I was on my way back from work, costing down a hill under cruise control in 5th and it made a horrible noise. Clutched and poped it into neutral, noise stopped, went to put it in gear and had to fight it, let off throttle, horrible noise is back.
:poopbanana: :smashpc:​

So based on behavior it is a syncro that ate it. Funny that it would happen out of nowhere. Attached is a the drained oil. There are no chunks of metal, nor does it look specificaly glittery. It smells like used gear oil, not burnt or that dead body stink of water fouling. It doesn't look black nor is it milky. Any ideas what the fluid is indicating may have failed? It's got 138k with about 70% being highway driving, in 5th.

I swapped it out for 2 quarts of brand new 80/90 GL4/GL5 per the owners manual and drove it around a bit, seems to shift the same and 5th still sucks.

I know it is going to have to come apart which is a lovely early winter job. Does anyone have a recommendation for a parts source other than the dealer? My local used to be a chevy/VW dealer and got their chevy side taken away, then the vw parts guy left. It's not a good scene becasue my commercial discounts went with him and the ex-chevy parts guy knows next to nothing and insists on charging me list and not expediting shipping. He really knows how to make friends given I show up with part numbers, pay cash and don't return anything.

And thank you for any help and insight you guys can throw out. I know it's not a unimog and in fact plays for the other team but I know I'm not the only TDi owner here.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Impex I know, purchased more than a few things from them, likewise I know about TDi club. I'll check out ID parts. What I would like to find is a shop that deal specificly in transmission. Found a few transaxle companies but they all stop support in the early 90's.

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
3,147 Posts
IDPARTS.COM

They have been very good to me.

C.

·
Registered
Sold .....1987 U1250 Unimog
1,011 Posts
Housman

Im not an expert, but IF I recall you can actually pull the side of the transmission off the car fairly easily, AKA transmission stays in the car but you can pull the back half of the case apart to take a look inside. From memmory guys did this to change out 5 gear with one in germany "AKA North America got a different gear ratio" to get a little better fuel economy. I would check out some of the TDI sites it should be easily to verify. Anyways my thinking is you can take a look to see what happened.

Yes Manual transmission do die, not often but they do make replacment parts. I guessing its a syncro like you said or maybe a tooth let go in any case it might be an easy fix.

David

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,432 Posts
I get all my VAG parts from:

https://www.autohausaz.com/index.html

On the ignition parts and replaceable I buy, they seem to have some of the best prices and I highly recommend their customer service.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hat tip to the TDi club. I was a member when I first got the car and for a few years after then kinda fell out of it due to a lack of technical interest as it were. Shame on me I suppose.

So since it looks like I can inspect the 5th cluster without undue horror, guess I'll have a busy afternoon one of these days.

On the oil topic, any ideas what the oil is telling us? I have a jar of it on the desk and even after a day there is no appreciable settling of large bits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts