Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whether you like Harbor Freight tools or not, this is a nice Ratchet.
Life Time Warrantee.

And if you want to spend more money, HF has another - the Icon version.

I saw the dude on a Mercedes Source Youtube video using a swivel ratchet and I had to have one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I use the HF round handled ones, look a bit like a snap-on. I hate padded handles, my hands are usually so funky that they'll get crap all over the handle of whatever wrench I have in my hand. The metal handled ones are much easier to clean.
Best tool I've bought at HF is their 18" breakover bar, 1/2" drive. Bare steel round handle, catch it on sale for less than $10. I've broken quite a few bolts with this and have never had to give up, but I'll admit I've used a 2' cheater on several occasions, never had the tool fail or disappoint in any way. I give each one of my sons one with the appropriate impact socket for their cars. I ain't getting a call in the middle of the night that one of them can't get the lug nuts off of his car...

·
Registered
924 Posts
Life Time Warrantee.

I saw the dude on a Mercedes Source Youtube video using a swivel ratchet and I had to have one.

View attachment 2606165
Deadly, thanks for letting us know Carl - just ordered plus the 1/4 which is $13.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Life Time Warrantee.

View attachment 2606165
I had this one for a few years. I like it. I go to this one instead of my craftsman one. It has nice precise click to it also. I like their impact socket sets too. Have been using those for years and I'm really rough with them from cars to tractors & hammering on them for driving seals. Also the electric 1/2" impact gun is good, and it was like $40. Some stuff is good (for the money). And when it's not good, just shrug it off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Life Time Warrantee.

View attachment 2606165
This is my "go to" handle. you can twist the handle to spin stuff down really fast.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Carl, thanks for another Harbor Fright thread. Just went yesterday and got a pickle fork for my air hammer for less than $10. It worked great on a stubborn tie rod end. I will check out the ratchet.
http

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Carl, thanks for another Harbor Fright thread. Just went yesterday and got a pickle fork for my air hammer for less than $10. It worked great on a stubborn tie rod end. I will check out the ratchet.
http View attachment 2606378
PP I always take one (and a small hammer) with me to the pic a part. Not for suspension or steering work but to remove stuck on wiper arms. Makes a great wedge providing the space between the "teeth" is not too big. A couple of light taps and they pop right off with no damage.

They also make great wedges to remove a drill chuck from a tapered shaft.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the subject of Wipers, are there other Mercedes models that are the same length as we have on our R107's.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Reno, another good idea. I was on a bus tour today of the local craft breweries and we drove through the junkyard neighborhoods (for some reason old cars and new beer seem to share territory). It was a reminder to go on a mercedes part treasure hunt. I will take the pickle fork.

Carl, curious question as I thought any silver wiper would work. Is there something special about interchange wipers?

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Reno, another good idea. I was on a bus tour today of the local craft breweries and we drove through the junkyard neighborhoods (for some reason old cars and new beer seem to share territory). It was a reminder to go on a mercedes part treasure hunt. I will take the pickle fork.

Carl, curious question as I thought any silver wiper would work. Is there something special about interchange wipers?
Wiper blades...probably (assuming correct/close length). Wiper arms without modifications...no. First pic shows (top to bottom) my wiper arm, pap pull from a (IIRC) an older SLC and then another pap pull from an older MB sedan. Notice the slight downward turn of the end of the arms on the first two and them an upwards turn in the sedan...really obvious in the 2nd pic. That would mean the sedan's blades would come to a rest on the opposite side of the windshield than a 107. They were also an inch or so longer.

DSCN3177 (Large).JPG slipt (Large).jpg

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The reason I asked about wipers is that I don't like the black wiper blades on my 560SL.
Looking for silver and wondered if I might find some at a parts yard from other Mercedes.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
http View attachment 2606378

Ken, I might go get on too.
This morning I replaced a Tie Rod on my 380SL.
Used the Harbor Freight Ball Joint Separator:

With this tool, the Inner bolt popped right off.
The outer bolt, I just left the tool on tightened for a few minutes and it popped loose on its own from the pressure.
Makes a noise when it pops loose ... while you are drinking a beer :)

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
The reason I asked about wipers is that I don't like the black wiper blades on my 560SL.
Looking for silver and wondered if I might find some at a parts yard from other Mercedes.

View attachment 2606776
These are $16 on Amazon. Not Mercedes but also not black.

·
Registered
186 Posts

View attachment 2606776
I just bought a set of modern Bosch blades removed the rubber inserts and rattle canned them with a silver and although not perfect, pretty close!

3C9AD925-029B-4D3F-B3EF-31C266FC514F.jpeg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Best tool I've bought at HF is their 18" breakover bar, 1/2" drive.
Amen to that, I have one and I love it. Bought it to ease the job of changing the serpentine belt, just to back off the tensioner a bit, now it lives in the trunk with a socket for my wheel nuts, along with a HF torque wrench to tighten them back up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts