Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500SL 000760
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GRRRRRRRRRR................. The dreaded transmission slip happened this morning on the way to work.:crybaby2: Truck is now in the shop. I have an extended warrenty so I hope this is covered. If not if I could get every BW member to send me $1.00 US, It would really be cool :D I am thinking about 2500 BW members should do it, so who needs my address :)

Hey you can all consider it a Birthday Present I'll be 47 on monday the 6th.

LOL

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,345 Posts
The check is in the mail..................postage due

·
Registered
1981 380SL
256 Posts
Wow. I didn't know you could kill an Expedition. My 2000 Eddie Bauer 4x4 is going strong at 240K+.

What year is yours? Must be newer if you have a warranty. Hmmmmm . . . .

·
Registered
1984 500SL 000760
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. I didn't know you could kill an Expedition. My 2000 Eddie Bauer 4x4 is going strong at 240K+.

What year is yours? Must be newer if you have a warranty. Hmmmmm . . . .
2003 Eddie Baur, 4x2, 150K miles on the clock. My warranty expires at 165K:D
I bought an 3yr 36K mile exteneded warrenty (technically it is "break down coverage") I have a $100.00 deductible and it covers only the Motor/Transmission for "internally lubricated parts" that fail under normal use. blah blah blah, etc. Of course I have to show maint records for every oil change I have ever had and I can not go over 4K miles between oil changes. Luckily I have been diligent and have never missed or gone over the 4K interval. I used to be a service writer at a repar shop and dealt with ext warranties, and I can tell you these warranty people are ruthless, they look for any reason to Deny a claim. Like missing an oil change or leaking fluids. They Deny if they find a fluid leak and claim you did not maintain the vehicle properly and that led to premature failure. They love that one for way to deny coverage.

·
Registered
1984 500SL 000760
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey guys it is only $2293.00 for the rebuild so if everyone sends me 55 cents like Rowdie did I might just be able to pay for the repairs. LOL

The good news is the warrenty company is evaluating the claim and they might actually pay for the needed repairs. Holding my breath, knocking on wood, crossing fingers, etc. etc.

·
Registered
1985 500SL 130K (Horst)
4,442 Posts
Back in 89 I bought the first year Dodge Grand Caravan. It went through four transmissions, the first three under warranty. It's the sole reason why I own four manual transmission cars Today. If it wasn't for the SL I don't think I would own another automatic again.

·
Registered
1984 500SL 000760
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the warranty cost me $600 at time of truck purchase. They requested the maintenance records and the shop faxed them over. Now I am waiting untill tomorrow to hear if they will pay or not. The pump went out and not from lack of fluid so this is a covered repair if they approve it.

·
Registered
'71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
5,269 Posts
the warranty cost me $600 at time of truck purchase. They requested the maintenance records and the shop faxed them over. Now I am waiting untill tomorrow to hear if they will pay or not. The pump went out and not from lack of fluid so this is a covered repair if they approve it.
I sure hope the warranty company isn't like filing a claim with a freight company. They damage your shipment and then they deny the claim for something like "improper packaging" even though they "crushed" the item.
Good luck on the claim. Hope you prevail.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
Back in 89 I bought the first year Dodge Grand Caravan. It went through four transmissions, the first three under warranty. It's the sole reason why I own four manual transmission cars Today. If it wasn't for the SL I don't think I would own another automatic again.
Thats because you didn't get the towing package and or you had the smaller engine. My wife insisted on one of those in 1994--I hated them. a friend of mine who liked them warned me about the transmission and so I made sure the one she got had the bigger engine and the towing package-even though it never towed anything. We gave the car away to a baby sitter we had when it had around 160,000 miles and our oldest had driven it for two years--you can imagine what he did with it since he hated it.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
hey guys it is only $2293.00 for the rebuild so if everyone sends me 55 cents like Rowdie did I might just be able to pay for the repairs. LOL

The good news is the warrenty company is evaluating the claim and they might actually pay for the needed repairs. Holding my breath, knocking on wood, crossing fingers, etc. etc.
That's because you don't know Tony. Tony would do it for half that. Not because he's dumb (though some people think he was born punch drunk like his father, the boxing champion) or no good at his job, he just hasn't bothered to raise his prices in twenty-five years. On Friday, he's going to fix my 450's catalytic converter for me. Probably run me about 25 bucks.

When my son's range rover threw a drive shaft through the aluminum transmission oil pan-literally went right through it. Tony dropped it down, pounded it out, welded it back up, threw a rebuilt drive shaft back in and charged a whopping 600.00 for it. That included new filter and oil.

:)

·
Registered
1984 500SL 000760
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today I received the good news, the transmission shop called and the repairs are covered under my extended warrenty, up to a $2K limit and I only owe the balance of $299.00 plus tax. I also was offered a new job today after a job interview I had about 2 hours ago. So all of that in combination with today being my Birthday, I am having a pretty good day indeed! CHEERS ALL!

·
Registered
1977 450SL
257 Posts
Today I received the good news, the transmission shop called and the repairs are covered under my extended warrenty, up to a $2K limit and I only owe the balance of $299.00 plus tax. I also was offered a new job today after a job interview I had about 2 hours ago. So all of that in combination with today being my Birthday, I am having a pretty good day indeed! CHEERS ALL!
Sounds like a damn good day....Happy birthday :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'99 SL500, '65 Corvette rdstr, '10 Volvo S80, '11 Chev Silverado
763 Posts
Sometimes, not often, you have days like that. Cherish it! :D

·
Registered
'71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
5,269 Posts
Happy Birthday !!! Congrats on the job offer. If you accept, I'll be happy to start taking my business there instead of the competitor.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts