Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

IRVINE, Calif., March 21, 2005 – Land Rover North America today announced U.S. pricing for the all-new Range Rover Sport. The manufacturer’s suggested retail price for the HSE model will be $56,750. The supercharged model will retail for $69,750. A true performance vehicle, Range Rover Sport will feature a powerful V8 engine, inspiring and sophisticated on-road capability and the first application of Land Rover’s Dynamic Response system.

"Range Rover Sport is a high-speed, performance-oriented luxury SUV," said Richard Beattie, Executive Vice President, Land Rover North America. "As the best driver’s vehicle Land Rover has ever made, it is ideal for fast, comfortable, long-distance driving, and a fitting compliment to our award-winning Range Rover."

The HSE model is equipped with a naturally aspirated 4.4-liter V8 engine with 300bhp, while the supercharged model has a powerful 4.2-liter V8 producing 390bhp.

Range Rover Sport delivers inspiring and refined performance on all surfaces, and as expected from a Land Rover, it is supremely capable off-road. Both on- and off-road capability is enhanced with Land Rover’s Terrain Response™ system, agile, electronically controlled airspring suspension, and one of Land Rover’s newest technologies, Dynamic Response. Standard on the supercharged model, this computer-controlled active anti-roll system senses cornering forces, and acts to optimize body control and handling. This technology is one of the key reasons why Range Rover Sport has the agility and handling of a much smaller, sporty vehicle. It also decouples off-road to allow greater wheel articulation during tough, all-terrain driving.

Range Rover Sport takes on several traditional Range Rover styling cues, including the floating roof. But it delivers its own interpretation on the theme, resulting in a tapered, flowing exterior design that makes it one of the most aerodynamic SUVs on the market. A comfortable interior with a ‘driver-biased’ sports cockpit, the Range Rover Sport offers spacious seating for five people and incorporates premium materials throughout.

The supercharged models are fitted with 20-inch aluminum alloy wheels, while the HSE models come standard with 19-inch aluminum alloy wheels.

All Range Rover Sport models come well-equipped with standard features such as DVD-based touch-screen navigation, bi-xenon headlights, sunroof, and a harman/kardon® LOGIC7™ audio system.

In addition to the 4.2-liter V8 390bhp engine, the supercharged models include a unique grille, seating surfaces, power vents, chrome exhaust extension, Dynamic Response, Brembo front brakes, adaptive front lighting, the cold climate package, the above-mentioned 20-inch wheels and black-on-silver badging.

Sales for Range Rover Sport will commence this summer.

**Prices noted include destination and delivery charges.
--------------------------------
Land Rover North America is part of Aston Martin Jaguar Land Rover with headquarters in Irvine, California. Land Rover established operations in the U.S. in 1986, and now imports and distributes Range Rover, LR3 and Freelander vehicles manufactured by Land Rover in Solihull, England. Land Rover’s worldwide operations are wholly owned by Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, Michigan. For information about the Land Rover retailer nearest you, call 800-FIND-4WD or log on to www.LandRoverusa.com.

Vehicle specifications and features are subject to change. For the latest Land Rover pricing and product information, contact Land Rover North America Corporate Communications at (949) 341-5800. Land Rover-related press releases and electronic photos of the company’s products are available on-line in the Land Rover section of Ford Motor Company’s news media website (media.landrover.com).

Specifications:
http://media.ford.com/products/pres...press_section_id=398&press_subsection_id=1205

·
Registered
ML63, 997TT
130 Posts
I saw that car at the show and loved it! We are waiting for ML63 to be announced to see its specs to make a decision about what to do with our current ML55. :)

One thing about the Range Rover Sport is that even with 390HP it's quite a bit slower than the current ML55. They advertised something like mid 7s to 60 if I am not mistaken.

It still sounds appealing and we will be test driving it this summer.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alex///AMG - 3/23/2005 8:25 AM

I saw that car at the show and loved it! We are waiting for ML63 to be announced to see its specs to make a decision about what to do with our current ML55. :)

One thing about the Range Rover Sport is that even with 390HP it's quite a bit slower than the current ML55. They advertised something like mid 7s to 60 if I am not mistaken.

It still sounds appealing and we will be test driving it this summer.
The big drawback of the RR Sport is weight--5,468 - 5,764 lbs! That's about 1,000 more than the ML. LR should have learned something from it's sister, Jaguar, about light weight and its effect on performance. They'll also be guzzlers. Of course, you do get low range, air suspension and dynamic roll control standard.

The Sport is listed as 7.2 for 0-60; The ML63 will be in another league, probably a couple seconds faster.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hello Alex.

The new ML63 will probably have about 530-550 hp. This is not official yet, but the new generation V6 gasoline engines has about 77 hp per litre on displacemnet (3.5 litre with 272 hp and 3.0 litre with 231 hp) so I guess it is safe to say that the new AMG engines have 10-15% more hp per litre than the standard MB engine, hence 530-550 hp.
Anyway, that is my guestimate, and I for one think it sounds just right [:)]

·
Registered
16 Posts
After seeing the pictures, I was very excited about this car but when I saw it in person, I was underwhelmed. Since it was not the supercharged model, it did not have the chrome grill, vents, or large wheels. Without these components, the car did not look nearly as exciting or new. The interior
was nicely laid out but I wished it was larger. After a short test drive, I had no complaints about its performance.

·
Registered
ML63, 997TT
130 Posts
ansan - 3/23/2005 7:29 PM

Hello Alex.

The new ML63 will probably have about 530-550 hp. This is not official yet, but the new generation V6 gasoline engines has about 77 hp per litre on displacemnet (3.5 litre with 272 hp and 3.0 litre with 231 hp) so I guess it is safe to say that the new AMG engines have 10-15% more hp per litre than the standard MB engine, hence 530-550 hp.
Anyway, that is my guestimate, and I for one think it sounds just right [:)]
I hope you are right. I also hope they price it in the 70-80k range.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hello again Alex.

I just read in German AutoBild that the new 6.3 litre highreving AMG engine will be available in two different hp versions. The lesser powerfull version (this is actually what they wrote) will be available for the upcomming new C-class with 503 hp (European specs) and 0-100 km/h at 4.5 sec!
What hp the more powerfull version will have is not mentioned, but I have read earlier of speculations of close to 600hp!!!

Here is the link to the above mention article in AutoBild:
http://www.autobild.de/aktuell/neuheiten/artikel.php?artikel_id=8394&artikel_seite=0

Enjoy!

Regards from Norway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts