Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy Crap.

Home sound systems are more confusing than ever.

Who uses all those friggin' features?

I thought my 16 year old Surround system was overly complicated.
And so I bought a non surround reciever for listening solely to music.
But that's just as convoluted with more features and a phonebook for an instruction manual.

I should have listened to my friend and gone with a used 70's reciever. There is quite a market for them and they have forums bigger than this one.

I am sorry I ever got rid of my old boat anchor Kenwoods, my DJ amp Sansui Monster and finally, 16 years ago, my Akai.

And now to deal with ANOTHER FUCKING REMOTE!!!

Sigh.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
Holy Crap....And now to deal with ANOTHER FUCKING REMOTE!!!

Sigh.
I feel your pain. Installed an Off-line PVR a couple of months ago. Magnavox (Don't want/have tivo or satellite). Interesting thing is that the remote is exact same frequency/pulse as the magnavox blue-ray I have. I have to cover up the sensor on the blue-ray and vice-versa or I'm operating two units... Crazy.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
On the bright side, a lot of people are getting rid of their old stereo systems and you can pick them up cheap. Just the other day I found a Marantz reciever, JBL's and Tech turntable at a tag sale for $25.

·
29,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the bright side, a lot of people are getting rid of their old stereo systems and you can pick them up cheap. Just the other day I found a Marantz reciever, JBL's and Tech turntable at a tag sale for $25.
That's what I'm talkin about.

The Denon I bought is ipod ready........one of the reasons I chose it.

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,197 Posts
Funny you mention it

...I was just talking to a guy this week who has a whole wall of classic equipment and I was recounting a funny electronics story. We have about 2 shelf feet of old 45's mostly from the 50's and 60's and about 6 shelf feet of 33 RPMs. So, one night last year, we thought we would record them all on CDs. Got them all lined up, got the CDs ready and then it hit me. We haven't had a turntable for the last 15 years. I have no idea what happened to the last one we owned, but I know we have had at least 3 different sound systems since them. Just never got a turntable ....

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
...I was just talking to a guy this week who has a whole wall of classic equipment and I was recounting a funny electronics story. We have about 2 shelf feet of old 45's mostly from the 50's and 60's and about 6 shelf feet of 33 RPMs. So, one night last year, we thought we would record them all on CDs. Got them all lined up, got the CDs ready and then it hit me. We haven't had a turntable for the last 15 years. I have no idea what happened to the last one we owned, but I know we have had at least 3 different sound systems since them. Just never got a turntable ....
Fortunately, there are decent turntables with USB output for not too much. Preserve your stuff. We lost a lot of ours with water leaking behind our storage shelves in our garage in our Baltimore house.

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
When I was looking for a system back in the 90's, a friend of mine who was into home hifi's would always say that the better amps would have fewer buttons. For the most part, he's right.

If you get a nice NAD or Marantz receiver, it will look pretty close to your 16 year old unit.

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
When I was looking for a system back in the 90's, a friend of mine who was into home hifi's would always say that the better amps would have fewer buttons. For the most part, he's right.

If you get a nice NAD or Marantz receiver, it will look pretty close to your 16 year old unit.
Very true.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,326 Posts
My Denon A/V/R does a good job with music. You can set it for non-surround if you wanna, it is amazing how good it sounds coming from those small corner speaks and the power bass.

Whenever I visit my bros I buy a pack of tapes and dub some more of our 60s/70s vinyl to cassette. Then I play them for the kids at work, they love the oldies, things never heard on the 'classic' satellite radio stations.

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
313 Posts
There's a huge selection of 'simple' equipment once you move beyond the traditional hi-fi suppliers. Of course, once you start down that path you're suddenly compelled to purchase power conditioners, out-board DA converters, balanced cables, vibration dampeners and every other sort of audio alchemy under the sun.

The upshot is it will make the money you've sunk into your car seem paltry by comparison :)

I picked up some Cambridge Audio gear a few years back on sale and am quite happy with it. Not for super-loud listening but great for my flat.

On a side note, I once lived with a guy who became an overnight millionaire when his company went public. The first thing he did was buy a stereo that was worth more than the house we lived in!

·
29,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I pine for my old systems.

I just don't have the time to be tech savvy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts