Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read about the SLK320 CDI Tri-turbo at the Geneva show: 3.0L V6 diesel, 286hp, 465ft-lb, 0-62.5mph in 5.3s, top speed limited to 155mph, and it gets 38mpg.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Lots of torque not a huge amount of HP. How does a tri turbo work? Twin & Quad turbos are pretty straight forward. I can guess how the tri turbo would work but I am having trouble picturing the plumbing working without creating a huge bottleneck.

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One turbo on each manifold and one in in the valley where the SLK32's SC is at.

Not sure how it's plumbed though.

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230K
19 Posts
Found some info on a Swedish forum:

The SLK 320 CDI tri-turbo, meanwhile, can generate an impressive 210 kW/286 hp and 630 Nm of torque from three litres of displacement (70.3 kW and 211 Nm per litre of displacement).

The SLK 320 CDI tri-turbo is based on the new V6 diesel engine, which achieves new levels of performance thanks to a two-stage supercharging system. It consists of three turbochargers, of which two are located on the outside next to the cylinder banks while the larger third turbocharger is situated between the V of the cylinders. At low engine speeds and loads, air flows through all three turbochargers (i.e., large and small), with the small turbochargers doing most of the work. When engine speed increases and the flow is continuous, the large turbocharger takes over supplying the greatest share of the charge pressure and the smaller turbochargers are turned off by means of a bypass system. At high engine speeds and loads, only the large turbocharger is running. Performance is further heightened as a result of an enlarged intercooler and larger pipe diameters for the charge air and the exhaust.

Sporting a modified tachometer with a red zone extending from 4,500 to 5,000 rpm and the self-confident appearance of the SLK 55 AMG, the vehicle is a proud member of the Mercedes-Benz diesel family. The new engine gives the roadster an impressive boost and allows it to perform prodigious feats: It takes the car but 5.3 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h, and it can travel a distance of 1,000 metres in just 24.4 seconds from a standing start. The top speed is meanwhile electronically limited to 250 km/h. With this kind of performance, the SLK 320 CDI tri-turbo has a unique standing even among thoroughbred sports cars. And fuel economy is just as impressive, since, despite the incredible driving performance, the diesel roadster consumes only 7.5 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres (NEDC overall consumption).

·
Registered
slk 200k
112 Posts
This may well be, as far as I know, the first Diesel roadster ever. I hope it's not the last: if Mercedes sells it and it does well, I can see, say, BMW coming out with a Z4 equipped with the 535d engine, which is very similar in output to this SLK 320 CDI unit.
While I respect the view of those people who are convinced that it's heresy to join a sportscar and a Diesel, I would like to point out that, where Diesels are allowed to race, they have often defeated gas-engined cars. In fact, Diesels have already won the ultimate endorsement in some racing circles: they have been banned for being too fast!
My advice to all concerned is, don't knock it 'till you've tried it. If you can, drive a modern turbo-charged direct-injection Diesel and you will see the light (or not, if you mean the fuel warning one...)
My only doubt about this SLK is the weight, and my only regret is the mandatory auto transmission. I wish to appeal to Mercedes: swallow your pride and give us a DSG-like gearbox.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts