Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SLK230
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Wondering about doing the Route66 trip from Chicago to LA next year. Since i live in Europe, i don't wan't to transport my own car to the US. But rent a car "over there" instead.Doesn't have to be a Benz, but a conv. of some sort.

Avis and Hertz have some old Mustangs in their fleet, are they any good? Are there any rental-companies specializing in convertibles in the Chicago area??

[:)]

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Depends on if you are going roundtrip. Any small boutique type rental place will not likely allow you to return the car anywhere other than the pickup rental location. Most of the national rental fleets have Ford Mustangs and Chrysler Sebring convertibles.

BUT, I checked Avis, Budget, Thrifty and Hertz and you are outa luck. Hertz and Thrifty don't have convertibles in Chicago, Avis and Budget won't rent you a convertible one way to LA. Sounds like you may have to just drive with the windows open.

Honestly, there's really nothing between New York and LA, just a huge void we refer to as the midwest. Fly into N.Y, enjoy a real city without the need for a car, then fly to LA and rent a real American convertible, a Dodge Viper or Corvette at Budget Car Rentals of Beverly Hills and cruise the coast highway from San Diego to wine country just north of San Francisco, way better than route 66, depite how alluring the song makes it sounds.

·
Registered
SLK230
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Buellwinkle.

Maybe i'll take the coast highway also.
But i'm not alone we're some guys that are doing this together. The other guys are "bikers" and they are going to ride their Harley's all the way.I don't ride a bike.

It's not a round trip. The original plan was landing at O'Hare, get a car and some bikes. And we're on.[:D]
Sounds simple enough, but planning is the key issue.
When we reach LA and Santa Monica beach. The trip is over. And we deliver the car back to the rental in LA.
If we still got time left, we could cruise around the coast highway,Napa valley,SF-bay,Alcatraz and all that.

I've been in NY on business-trips. And even lived there for a couple of months in my own apartment.
Man, i'm glad that my company paid for that. Not the cheapest spot to rent an apartment [:D]

I don't now if the best way is to get to LA. And rent a car there and cruise all the way back to Chicago instead. I would love driving a Viper, but i think a less radical car is a better choice for this trip. Don't like the idea of being stranded in some desert (painted or not) in AZ outta gas.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Are there places that will rent a Harley one way from Chicago to LA or do you have to pay to have them crated and shipped back to Chicago? You can do a loop, Chicago to San Bernadino (the end) on Route 66, I10 to the beach, up the left coast on Coast Highway to I80 in San Francisco and then take I80 back east through the Rockies and to Chicago along the north part of the country. Then you'll be able to rent a convertible and Harleys and not pay any out of state drop off fees. It's good you're going as a group, much of what's left of Route 66 is through less than desireable parts of the U.S.

·
Registered
SLK230
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buellwinkle - 4/17/2005 3:38 PM
It's good you're going as a group, much of what's left of Route 66 is through less than desireable parts of the U.S.
Yes, i browsed around for safe/unsafe cities.
St.Louis doesn't look good on the statistics, same goes for Albuquerque (need to check that spelling[:D]).You're mentioning San Bernardino (Killafornia[:D]), it ranks as #16 on the most dangerous 25 list. But if we are riding/driving during daytime, and find some "half-decent" hotels at night. It should be ok(i'll guess[B)]).

I don't know about the Harleys, the guys are talking about buying the bikes in the US, and selling them at the end of the trip. I don't know how easy that is. Transporting their own bikes to the US, was an expensive operation.Also running foreign reg.plates on a vehicle could be a problem.They're checking further with the DMV.

Maybe i have to buy a car over there also, and sell it in CA.[?]

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
I live near route 66 let me know when your passing though arizona and i'll buy ya a beer

--deathy

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
Why not do the European delivery for a Benz in reverse? Get a new mustang convertible from Ford at a dealer in America, tour at will, ship to Europe and sell that sucker over there....Might be a market there that you'd make a buck or two. Or advertise where you are for anyone that wants you to pick them up a new mustang in America and bring it home to them.

Regards

·
Registered
SLK230
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DEATHERAGE - 4/17/2005 6:48 PM

I live near route 66 let me know when your passing though arizona and i'll buy ya a beer

--deathy
Thanks...[:D]
We're not coming through before next year though.

But we are entering AZ at Lupton. And we will probably continue all the way to Painted Desert/Petrified forest nat.park somewhere between Navajo and Sun Valley.Is the place called Painted Desert Inn open for business, or is it just a historical building..?? Maybe we will find a hotel or motel there, staying a couple of days. If you're in the neighbourhood, you are most welcome for a beer or two (or three)[:D]
Further we will go on through Holbrook, Winslow and Flagstaff.

By the way, the whole bunch are from Norway.
Norway is a country in Scandinavia in nothern-europe.
Scandinavia is a group of countries consisting of Norway,Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Iceland.

Re: Max
Or advertise where you are for anyone that wants you to pick them up a new mustang in America and bring it home to them.
--------------
Good idea, i'll check it out. But where i'm at, the most popular American cars are SUV's and van's. Some pick-up's also. The sedan market consists of german and jap. cars mostly. And some french cars, Peugeot and Citrôens.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Selling a motorcycle is not a one day deal. It took me months to sell my Harley and my Buell. Selling a car is easier as it's more of a commodity but still it may take weeks as most people that buy used don't look for 1 month old cars. You can trade them into the dealer but figure you're going to take a several thousand dollar hit on both car and bikes. And yes, places like San Bernadino, St. Louis and such are not places I would like to spend my vacation on. Also, depending on time of year, places like Chicago, IL, St. Louis, MO and Flagstaff, AZ are going to have snow so consider bringing chains in the winter time. Still think you would have more fun on the 1,000 mile trip up the coast from San Diego to Eureka Kallifornia with detours to gold country, Lake Tahoe, Sacramento (visit our Governator Arnold), Tijuana Mexico.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
I visit falgstaff often. I have a room in a home to stay in up there for when I wanna get outta phoenix. let me know and I'll join ya for thoes 3 beers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts