Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Open letter to Caltrans:

I just wanted to take this opportunity to personally thank you and all of your employees taking such great pride in completely revamping almost every single road in California. It is such a joy driving over the bay bridge. I appreciate you incorporating entertainment for my ride home such as dodge the flying chucks of pavement, and supplementing my gym workout when I need to get out of my car and pick it up out of the pothole that is quickly becoming a man made grand canyon. That brings up my next question is there a reward for finding actually what is in davey jone’s locker because I am quite sure I found him along with Hoffa in the far left lane that once contained pavement. I know I appreciate paying 3 dollars a trip over the bridge to enjoy these amusing and fun events almost as much as the oh so friendly toll takers you clearly selected by there pleasant and warm demeanor. Speaking of outstanding employees I would like to mention the very understanding one that answered my call when I took the time to call in and say perhaps, just perhaps something should be done about the lack… oh whats the word you yeah ROAD and that in fact it is so deep that it bent the front rim on my car. Her warm and compassionate response of well if u drive a benz u can afford a new one response struck a cord in my heart and truly warmed it. But I should point out that I cannot verify that your illustrious bridge was to blame, I mean the quality of roads are of such high caliber here in sf it is hard to discern which was responsible. I know I look forward to playing avoid the 6 inch ruts, or even better yet hopscotch over the huge ill fitting metal plates haphazardly tossed with care. I know I appreciate paying an extra 30 cents at the pump per gallon and hundreds of dollars a year to register my car in the golden state for the fun and excitement you build right into the road. Only one suggestion I might have would be if you could be so kind as to bring back the game of London bridge, you know the one you did several years ago. I think that’s the only fun game I haven’t seen in awhile on the roads I travel.

·
Registered
2005 CLK200 Komp, 2007 R350
680 Posts
Sounds like they must have stolen a few of our roads and moved them to SF. Please take Parramatta Road while you're at it, one of the biggest roads in sydney, and there is a bloody railway crossing on it. Probably the only remaining railway crossing in ALL of sydney. Oh but to get to the railway crossing, first you must drive past the 10 foot deep potholes, the bits where two sections of road have pushed up against each other forming mini mountains in the middle of the road, and the speed camera. The speed camera serves no purpose, since the traffic is always crawling past it, due to the fact the road keeps going from three lanes to two and back again.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
You guys are not alone ..........

Here in Montgomery County, Maryland the sides of the roads have slowly disappeared into the mud, and four lane highways have become two lane roads. Two lane roads have become paved cow paths.
You think you have pot holes? Let me tell you about pot holes. We have a road around here that has pot holes so big, they built bridges over them and charge a toll to drive over the bridges.... [xx(]
Got to wonder where all the money we pay in road taxes is going to. Oh wait, I remember, that money is going into stop light and speeding cameras so the county can get more funds to fix the roads, or line their pockets or something, I think.... [:D]
No wait, I remember now, the extra money was to pay for the guys that stand next to the pot holes leaning against shovels watching hub caps fly off of cars as they hit the potholes, and laughing... [;)]
I swear, every Spring I want to open a wheel and hubcap shop, heck, most of the stock around here will be free ...[:eek:)][:p][:D]

·
Registered
'98 SLK230, 2007 Black E63 AMG
189 Posts
Baltimore has got to be the worst. Most of the roads here have no original pavement, they are just a mix of pot holes and old filled pot holes. I bent the rims on my audi about 8 times before i got rid of it.

All this in a city where you have to pay an exise tax of 5% of the value of your car to get it registered!

What a peice of crap town... can't wait to get out.

PT

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL sorry just had to get it out yesterday, hope no offense to anyone was taken. [8D]

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
Mike.. i feel you on this. I have a friend who bent her rims on Bay Bridge.. she was running 40 series tires and they used to have those large metal plates to cover holes, apparently the plates were too thick.. over a dozen people filed a lawsuit and they won.. replaced all four wheels on my friend's car.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Mike amusing letter. If you actually decide to send it make sure you add dates and names.

In Atlanta what they love to do is fix something incorrectly the first time then to spend 10 times longer than it should to fix it a second time. Outside of that we just have red lights after 50 feet that are timed to turn red just as you get near them.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Miked619 - 3/6/2005 9:12 AM

LOL sorry just had to get it out yesterday, hope no offense to anyone was taken. [8D]
We all feel the same pain mate.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Miked619 - 3/6/2005 9:12 AM

LOL sorry just had to get it out yesterday, hope no offense to anyone was taken.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all feel the same pain mate.
Can we get an AMEN! [:)] [:)] [:)] [:D]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
When your city officials are all driving around in SUV's that ride over the pot holes with large off road tires you'll never get anything fixed.

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
RE: You guys are not alone ..........

Got to wonder where all the money we pay in road taxes is going to. Oh wait, I remember, that money is going into stop light and speeding cameras so the county can get more funds to fix the roads, or line their pockets or something, I think....
same in UK Bruce ! and where does the money go from the speed cameras ? into road safety/improvement.... no, more cameras.

There are speed ramps installed on the estate where I work. I have to crawl over them so i don't damage my car, but all the SUV/MPV things just go full speed over them , overtaking me in the process. Road safety ??? huh

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
John Boy 330xi - 3/7/2005 8:49 AM

When your city officials are all driving around in SUV's that ride over the pot holes with large off road tires you'll never get anything fixed.

"there spinnin nigga there spinnin!" -Dave Chapele

·
Registered
680 Posts
DEATHERAGE - 3/6/2005 3:22 AM

John Boy 330xi - 3/7/2005 8:49 AM

"there spinnin nigga there spinnin!" -Dave Chapele
I thought chris rock said that?

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Couple years back our company was renting a office, office building management decided to do some fixes\ renovation around the building. One of the project was a little stairway from the parking lot to the building (5 steps, 20ft wide). They were working on it 9 months!!!!! They even put a tent around the area so they keep working in bad weather. We moved out - they still weren't done with it. And that's 5 (five) steps !!!!!

I am sure same people - work on our roads.

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
Kirill - 3/7/2005 7:57 PM

Couple years back our company was renting a office, office building management decided to do some fixes\ renovation around the building. One of the project was a little stairway from the parking lot to the building (5 steps, 20ft wide). They were working on it 9 months!!!!! They even put a tent around the area so they keep working in bad weather. We moved out - they still weren't done with it. And that's 5 (five) steps !!!!!

I am sure same people - work on our roads.
After they finish, they will likely tear it out and replace it with a handicap ramp.

·
Registered
SLK32
915 Posts
Good stuff. I hated the road conditions in Hawaii. I'm just now noticing that the roads are much better here in Merced, Calif. Seems like the bigger the town the worse the roads are.

·
Registered
SLK230
59 Posts
E-mail to Division Manager @ CalTrans

Check the SF Chronicle's "ChronWatch" - the CalTrans Golden Gate Division manager is often listed with his phone number and e-mail address.

I submitted two road hazards, one on the SFBB/TI on-ramp condition and a second on north I880 where a section of concrete shifted at a seam - 3" 90 deg rise. I received an e-mail reply, given a tentative repair time and sure enough - the I880 took 8 weeks but three problem areas were patched with quick setting concrete.

The SFBB upper deck pavement is severely damaged. News reports that the SF side will be repaved this August. Long hot summer with idling engines drinking USD3/gal gasoline.

·
Registered
2002 SLK320
5 Posts
Yeah, I was just came down to the SF Bay Area from Sacramento this weekend in my beloved SLK320 and I can attest, the roads absolutely stink.

The thing is, Caltrans may not be full of brain surgeons, but even they have figured out the roads are falling apart. The problem is, there ain't no money to do anything about it.

The state legislature and the Governor are both to blame for stealing all the transportation dollars that would have gone for things like repaving I-80 (not to mention re-doing the Bay Bridge) or 101 to deal with the budget debacle. They plan to steal it again this year, and next (and maybe more). So if you want repaving anytime soon, you better go out and get your own asphalt batching plant, because it's pretty clear that whatever lip service Schwarzenegger and the legislature pays to the idea, they're not sending any dollars. What euphemisms do we use when politicians lie, then say they didn't? That's what's happening, and it's truly disgusting.

I don't work for Caltrans (nor would I ever!), but I'm in the governmental transportation business and deal with this crap every day.

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
slkpwr - 3/6/2005 5:58 PM

Mike.. i feel you on this. I have a friend who bent her rims on Bay Bridge.. she was running 40 series tires and they used to have those large metal plates to cover holes, apparently the plates were too thick.. over a dozen people filed a lawsuit and they won.. replaced all four wheels on my friend's car.
They usually put some asphalt on the lip to ease the transition. It sound like the Bay Bridge contractor screwed up. Sounds probable knowing the number of construction accidents (and deaths) that have happened in the past few years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts