Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have taken to doing a bit of flea marketing to clear out some of the accumulated clutter of a lifetime together. This past Sunday, temps in the mid 40's F proved to be difficult to withstand for the 6ish hours (some before sunrise) outside. Sure, we could occasionally start the car and sit in it to warm up but that's impractical while flea marketers are shopping your racks and tables.

So...

I am in the market for a propane heater. I have two Kerosun radiant heaters that are too large and difficult to transport and use, not to mention the smelly kerosene.

I am looking into one of these. We will be using it outdoors with moderate breeziness. Temps will be anywhere from 30's F and up. The reviews on these two are generally very positive. Anyone have OUTDOOR experience with this? Am I just buying more clutter?

Mr. Heater Double Tank-Top Propane Heater - 8,000-28,000 BTU, Model# MH24T Price: $88.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

·
Registered
1973 450SL
651 Posts
Those will work fine for you. The problem with 20lb propane tanks is that they will freeze up as the propane is drawn off rapidly. Solution to that is a 40 or 100 pound tank, or put the tank in a tub of water. I run a blacksmith forge off of a 100 lb tank and I can freeze it up in a couple of hours, but that's probably about a 300k btu burn rate.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,569 Posts
This certainly looks nice and portable. I've got one of those $200 stand-up heaters, similar to the ones your might see in the outdoor seating at a restaurant. I'd assume that almost all of the heat with the 8-foot tall heater would go up in the air, but it works pretty well, especially if you are standing right under it. I'd guess that there's be a little more fire-danger with the pictured portable version. You'd need a pickup truck to transport mine, and the wheels would only work on level pavement (used to get it into the garage before I bought the SL... now it sits outside all year).

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reviews seem to indicate that the whole thing is stable and there is a tip over shut off. The freeze up is not something I had heard of before.

Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,165 Posts
The reviews seem to indicate that the whole thing is stable and there is a tip over shut off. The freeze up is not something I had heard of before.

Thanks for the info guys!
Freezeup will be an issue only with high btu units, almost certainly not this heater, even if you got the 28,000 btu one.

I've some friends who have what appears to be a heater like that which they use at flea markets. It works great, as it's a radiant heater, heating you rather than the air.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
I have the small single unit and use it in the garage when working on the cars. Never had a problem with freeze up. I did have one of those turbo propane heaters which needed the larger tanks and was prone to freeze up.

·
Registered
1980 450SL & 1988 560SL
1,667 Posts
I have used the single burner unit outdoors lots of times. Wind can cause issues with it. They work good.

By the way, it doesn't take very long to get your fingers off the back of a lit unit. It's quick!

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
We have taken to doing a bit of flea marketing to clear out some of the accumulated clutter of a lifetime together. This past Sunday, temps in the mid 40's F proved to be difficult to withstand for the 6ish hours (some before sunrise) outside. Sure, we could occasionally start the car and sit in it to warm up but that's impractical while flea marketers are shopping your racks and tables.

So...

I am in the market for a propane heater. I have two Kerosun radiant heaters that are too large and difficult to transport and use, not to mention the smelly kerosene.

I am looking into one of these. We will be using it outdoors with moderate breeziness. Temps will be anywhere from 30's F and up. The reviews on these two are generally very positive. Anyone have OUTDOOR experience with this? Am I just buying more clutter?

Mr. Heater Double Tank-Top Propane Heater - 8,000-28,000 BTU, Model# MH24T Price: $88.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Mr. Heater MH12T Single Tank-Top Propane Heater Price: $43.84 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
I have been to winter garage parties with both those models of heater. Kinda like standing around a campfire when out in the open.

·
Registered
1973 450SL
651 Posts
Freezeup will be an issue only with high btu units, ...
Not true. It also depends on outside air temp. It's a combination of how fast you depressurize the propane and the ambient temp.
My forge can freeze a 100lb bottle on a 90 degree day. If the ambient air is 45 degrees and up, you should be OK, the closer you get to and below freezing the more likely the bottle can't supply enough propane.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts