Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
unimog 435 1300l doka 1986
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

cold weather start biiiiir so cold they have to light up the tires, light fire under the engine and there is also a little stove in the truck to :)
ps I don´t think this is a silly movie but contrary I think those trucks are very capable. Simple engineering for job that they are intended to do :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
Check out utoob for the russian "highway" that's only open like 6 months out of the year. It's some dirt road up in north somewhere and the mud gets like 2 feet deeps. I'll see if I can find some videos.

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
Great piece, in Fairbanks when the omega cold hits like 40F to 50F below vinyl seats shatter, car tires get flat spot frozen and its like driving on square tires, and then there are bits of rubber belts and axle boots littering the streets. But no one lights their tires on fire although remote pilots might drain engine oil and bring it in for the night. Many drivers have a extension cord hanging on mirror to plug in your heater, even large stores have provisions for customers to plug in engine heaters. Car theft is called joyriding and is a misdemeanor cause many folks don't shut there car off during these extreme low temps. Anyway great old clip of the Ural and there are some more good ones like the one in trials doing the big drop off and another of them crossing a raging creek loaded with logs. Here is what my driveway turns into on some years when the overflow finds its way here.

Attachments

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,037 Posts
Looks like fun, all I can think of is "GOOD OLE DAYS". Just not like that anymore.

·
Registered
Vehicle: 1397 Portative Organ Normally Aspirated....U411, U2450,463 300GD
1,501 Posts
Great video; love the stove in the cab!

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,827 Posts
I guess Ural are used for the things you would never actually want to do with your unimog, thing like this:

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,827 Posts
Oh okay, that must be Alaska I can see on the far side. Gotcha.

·
Registered
'79 Flat Bed 406
206 Posts
Here is what my driveway turns into on some years when the overflow finds its way here
Alaskat, not sure most know what an overflow is.
I see the winters have warmed up a tad (must be that thar global stuff), I left North Pole in '71. I noted -76f one cold spell, could hear a few trees exploding out back. Don't leave Jack Daniels in the truck, it'll freeze solid on ya. Moved to Haines in my wisdom years. ;)

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
Alaskat, not sure most know what an overflow is.
I see the winters have warmed up a tad (must be that thar global stuff), I left North Pole in '71. I noted -76f one cold spell, could hear a few trees exploding out back. Don't leave Jack Daniels in the truck, it'll freeze solid on ya. Moved to Haines in my wisdom years. ;)
I don't think anyone knows what an overflow is, unless it's happening in their bathroom.

I'm guessing it has something to do with an artic cold front?

We get those all the way down into Wyoming and Colorado sometimes. I've been in Wyoming where the lows (with no wind chill) are -40 or less.

Never been in -76 though.

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
Overflow is when running water such as stream or river freeze hard but the water has to go somewhere and forces its way though the edges continually building ice or slush. Outback travel can be treacherous if yo get stuck in it, one minute all is fine the next your knee deep in slush. Dog mushers and snow machiners deal wit it regularly. The creek on my property swells from a few inches to 12' thick solid ice and creeps in all directions right up and over the banks and sometimes down the drive. I have not had any JD for a good while. Its been single digits this week so gotta plug diesels in for a bit before starting. The old JD450 is starting well after a 30mins of heat. Another 10 cord week of selling firewood.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts