Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
totally agree, looks like a station wagon now. The old G class actually looked like an off roader.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
Eh, with a more robust front end, I think it would look pretty good. It looks like the new ML. They should replace the new ML with this and keep the G the way it is for a couple more years. But yeah, agreed, it definitely doesnt look like the Gelandewagen did/should.

Has anyone noticed that there are no good real SUVs anymore? Land rover has gone down the tube, this new G class, and even jeeps dont have two solid axels anymore, the H2 is a joke...i mean WTF. I'd have to say my 99 montero would kick any of these "SUVs" ass when it comes to offroading. Stock to stock, it is very capable, has 2 locking differentials, good approach angles, etc. I'm not saying it's AMAZING or anything, but seriously, there are no SUVs anymore...it sucks.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Look very carefully....it looks as though they have just built a Mercedes version of a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
I actually like the rear end...but again, not for a G. The front end needs reworking, and it'll be a nice ML. Yeah, I HATE the new grand cherokees and durangos[xx(] they look the same.

·
Registered
'98 SLK230, 2007 Black E63 AMG
189 Posts
Doesn't it seem that all SUVs are gradually looking more like station wagons?

Why is this?
Are there people out there that actually like the way a station wagan looks?

I always though the G class was one of the last trucks that looked like a truck..

sad..

PT

·
Registered
1998 MB SLK 230
504 Posts
Wayyyy too much like the new ML. Plus the lines are not as smooth as the SL, E, S & new SLK. I have problems with it.

·
Registered
SLK32
915 Posts
I don't like it, I would take the older model over this one, at least the exterior appearance.

·
Registered
2004 E55-1970 280SEC
2,026 Posts
I'd also take the current G over that one, but alas, MB will probably sell a lot of them. Everyone said that a Porsche SUV wouldn't sell either, but now Porsche sells more SUV's than sports cars. That's just wrong.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Kompressor
332 Posts
Norb, that is because once you get over the Porsche nose on an SUV-sized vehicle and actually drive one everything makes sense. People love it just because it is exclusive, not to mention they went all out and built the best damn Porsche truck they could build.

That G-class is sad indeed. I am waiting to see what happens to the SL-class. I am watching that one closely as I wish to upgrade to an SL eventually (love the new one). If they will butcher it the way they did the G, I'll know where to put my money. This platform sharing thing is driving me nuts - it is getting harder and harder to remain exclusive (perhaps this is why the aftermarket scene is cashing in big time).

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
It's a conspiracy by Chrysler to 'homogenize' our trademark. When they took it over I worried they would try to change it into something 'american', subject to short lifecycle & due for trade-in after 3 years.
[}:)][;)][V]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts