Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
warranty works. So I decided to give them an "F" on their customers satifaction survey. They were shock so the Manager e-mailed me. After a couple exchanged e-mails, they still refused to reset my FSS or even tell me how. I told them that they lost me as their customer. I will now have two other Mercedes dealers to go to. Here's the e-mail from the dealer............

Re: Reply to your recent survey submission
Sent:
Tue 11/20/07 7:04 AM

To:
Linh Nguyen ([email protected])

IF IT CAN BE RESET IT WILLTELL HOW IN YOUR OWNERS MANUAL
----- Original Message -----​

Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 5:36 PM​

Subject: RE: Reply to your recent survey submission​

Hello John,​

I understood and this wasn't a problems until 2006 models. Is there a way I can manually reset it myself when I change my oil like on the older models? Thank you.​

Linh Nguyen​

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:42:57 -0500​

Subject: Reply to your recent survey submission​

Mr. Nguyen: Sorry for the confusion about you fss warning light. Mercedes Benz informs us the warning light reset is part of the flexible service and it is actually part of the factory recommended service. The resetting of the light is there to verify the correct factory services have been performed, and completed. John deVries Customer Service Mgr.​

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
GOOD NEWS: The dealer said that it can ONLY be done with their computer......WRONG !!

I now discovered how to reset my 2006 CLK 500 Cabriolet FSS manually based on the old E500 procedure....

Editor's note: Read later in this thread and here
for methods pertaining to later models

I reset the FSS on my E500 today. I think the procedure is very close on the SLK350. BTW, there is more than one key sequence to get to the service menus.

Here's the steps on the E500:

1) Turn key to position 1
2) With the display in the "default" normal driving position, (this should be speed or temperature) press the reset button three times.
3) The display will now read the battery voltage
4) Press down arrow once to get to service menu
5) Press "-" (minus) three times until you highlight "confirmation"
6) Page Down (key next to arrow down) to advance to the next menu
7) You should see Confirm Full, Cancel Full, Cancel Items.
8) Turn ignition key to position 2 (I think you could do this anytime after step 4 above)
9) Press Page Down while Confirm Full Service is highlighted
10) You should get a message confirming success
11) Repeat Page Up (key next to up arrow) until you reach the standard display
12) Start the engine
13) Page up to the screen that normally says Service "X" in "NNNN" miles. It should read "Reading Data Please Wait".
14) After 30 seconds or so it will read "Service "X" in 13000 miles.

Here's the steps for my 2006 Clk 500 Cabriolet:

With the display in the "default" normal driving position, (this should be speed or temperature)

1) Put the key in the ignition
2) Turn the key on to ignition position (1 click only)
3) Within 3 second after the ignition is turned on to position 1, push the "reset" nob 3 times. A display Voltages manual should appear on your cluster.
4) Now turn the key to ignition position 2 ( 2nd clicks)
5) Use the arrow up/down command on your steering wheel to change your screen on your cluster until you see the "Services A/B" indicator on your cluster.
6) Within 3 seconds once you see the "Services A/B " indicator appear on the cluster, press and hold the reset nob for at least 3 seconds.
7) You now should see the "Service interval" manual on the cluster and it will ask you if you want to reset the "Service interval".
8) Within 3 second after you see the "service interval" manual appear on your cluster, press and hold the reset nob one more time for another 3 seconds.
9) You now should see a message appear "Service interval" has been reset.

I also discovered how to turn on/off the ESP completely for dyno test when I was going through trying figure out how to reset my FSS.

DYNOMOMETER ESP ON/OFF PROCEDURE:

1) Repeat steps 1-3 above
2) Use the arrow up/down on your steering wheel to change the screen until you see "Dynomometer testing" manual
3) Use the "-/+" on your steering wheel to turn the ESP ON/OFF for Dynomometer testing.

Since all 2006 models doesn't came with the oil dipstick and you can't really check it. I also discovered how to check the oil level as you would check your oil with the dipstick and know exactly how much oil is in your engine. Don't get confuse this procedure with the electronic on board oil level check like on the old models that only check oil level to see if the oil level is low or high. My new discovered procedure check to see EXACTLY how much oil is in your engine.

CHECK OIL LEVEL:

With the display in the "default" normal driving position, (this should be speed or temperature).

1) Repeat steps 1-3 (of the FSS service reset procedure)
2) Now use the arrow up/down command key on your steering wheel to change the screen manual on your cluster until you see
oil level "_/_" on your screen.
3) Now turn the ignition key to position 2 (2nd clicks)
4) The oil level "_/_" now will appear with a numbers. Mine showed 6.9 right after engine turn off and 10 mins later it showed 7.5

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
Well done for outwitting the dealer :D

The internet is a wonderful thing.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
I now discovered how to reset my 2006 CLK 500 Cabriolet FSS manually based on the old E500 procedure I found on MBworld forum....

I reset the FSS on my E500 today. I think the procedure is very close on the SLK350. BTW, there is more than one key sequence to get to the service menus.

Here's the steps on the E500:

1) Turn key to position 1
2) With the display in the "default" normal driving position, (this should be speed or temperature) press the reset button three times.
3) The display will now read the battery voltage
4) Press down arrow once to get to service menu
5) Press "-" (minus) three times until you highlight "confirmation"
6) Page Down (key next to arrow down) to advance to the next menu
7) You should see Confirm Full, Cancel Full, Cancel Items.
8) Turn ignition key to position 2 (I think you could do this anytime after step 4 above)
9) Press Page Down while Confirm Full Service is highlighted
10) You should get a message confirming success
11) Repeat Page Up (key next to up arrow) until you reach the standard display
12) Start the engine
13) Page up to the screen that normally says Service "X" in "NNNN" miles. It should read "Reading Data Please Wait".
14) After 30 seconds or so it will read "Service "X" in 13000 miles.

Here's the steps for my 2006 Clk 500 Cabriolet:

With the display in the "default" normal driving position, (this should be speed or temperature)

1) Put the key in the ignition
2) Turn the key on to ignition position (1 click only)
3) Within 3 second after the ignition is turned on to position 1, push the "reset" nob 3 times. A display Voltages manual should appear on your cluster.
4) Now turn the key to ignition position 2 ( 2nd clicks)
5) Use the arrow up/down command on your steering wheel to change your screen on your cluster until you see the "Services A/B" indicator on your cluster.
6) Within 3 seconds once you see the "Services A/B " indicator appear on the cluster, press and hold the reset nob for at least 3 seconds.
7) You now should see the "Service interval" manual on the cluster and it will ask you if you want to reset the "Service interval".
8) Within 3 second after you see the "service interval" manual appear on your cluster, press and hold the reset nob one more time for another 3 seconds.
9) You now should see a message appear "Service interval" has been reset.

I also discovered how to turn on/off the ESP completely for dyno test when I was going through trying figure out how to reset my FSS.

DYNOMOMETER ESP ON/OFF PROCEDURE:

1) Repeat steps 1-3 above
2) Use the arrow up/down on your steering wheel to change the screen until you see "Dynomometer testing" manual
3) Use the "-/+" on your steering wheel to turn the ESP ON/OFF for Dynomometer testing.
You get 10 out of 10 for this one.;)

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Good post...

What happens if you screw up during the procedure ..? Can you switch off the ignition and start all over?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good post...

What happens if you screw up during the procedure ..? Can you switch off the ignition and start all over?

Yup, you have to start all over again if you mess up. To start all over again, you don't just turn the ignition off, you have to remove the key from the ignition then insert it again.

·
Registered
2005 CLK200 Komp, 2007 R350
680 Posts
Well done Linh!

·
Registered
1997 SL500. Previously owned 1998 SLK230, 2007 CLK350, 2009 ML350 and 2011 C300.
26 Posts
Thank you

Thanks for the great info...your instructions made it possible to finally reset the service light on my 2007 CLK350!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the great info...your instructions made it possible to finally reset the service light on my 2007 CLK350!

You're welcome and I know exactly how you felt to finally turn the service light off.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To date, this procedure works on 2006 clk, 2005 clk, 2007 Slk and 2007 C-class.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used this procedure to turn off the obnoxious ""B" service past due by x days" on my wife's 2006 CLK350 cabriolet. She only puts about 2000 miles a year on her car and oil changes and brake fluid flushes are the only things that are really needed on a date basis. I figure if that philosophy is good enough for BMW and my M3, it is good enough for MB. However, BMW does not use an obnoxious message to remind you that you have a major service coming up in so many miles. It seems like MB and their dealers could learn something there.

By the way, everyone had said that only the dealer could turn off the message with their computer. Nice work here on breaking the code! I love being able to beat MB at their games.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
However, BMW does not use an obnoxious message to remind you that you have a major service coming up in so many miles. It seems like MB and their dealers could learn something there.

By the way, everyone had said that only the dealer could turn off the message with their computer. Nice work here on breaking the code! I love being able to beat MB at their games.

I have no problems with the reminder message. What I don't like is that, they're trying to forces us to make money !!!! Mercedes quality is like CRAPS for the last 7-8 yrs and they lost alot of money for warranty repair works. So they decided to discontinued the 4/50k mile free service on the post-2006 model. They then changed the service message reminder so that we can't reset ourself like on the pre-2005 model, to forces their customers to have the services by them only!! Then lied to all their customer that it could ONLY be reset by the dealer lap top !!!!!:mad:

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
I have no problems with the reminder message. What I don't like is that, they're trying to forces us to make money !!!! Mercedes quality is like CRAPS for the last 7-8 yrs and they lost alot of money for warranty repair works. So they decided to discontinued the 4/50k mile free service on the post-2006 model. They then changed the service message reminder so that we can't reset ourself like on the pre-2005 model, to forces their customers to have the services by them only!! Then lied to all their customer that it could ONLY be reset by the dealer lap top !!!!!:mad:
All Mercedes Benz models to date have a service light reset facility in car and does not need DAS to do it. But they keep changing the method of reset, for all models the information required to reset (in car) without DAS is located in WIS -Workshop Information System. The latest CD version is WIS.net and available on EBay.

·
Registered
'06 CLK350 Ragtop
3 Posts
Thanks for the reset info! Anything else you can look at or reset after step 3 of the FSS resetting procedure? Saw in other forums that oil level/quality can be viewed.

Roger '06 CLK350 ragtop

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the reset info! Anything else you can look at or reset after step 3 of the FSS resetting procedure? Saw in other forums that oil level/quality can be viewed.

Roger '06 CLK350 ragtop

See page #1 post #2.

·
Registered
'06 CLK350 Ragtop
3 Posts

Roger '06 CLK350 ragtop
Tried the reset on 06 CLK350 But after step 6 an OIL TYPE QF 1,0 screen came up on the display. After holding for 3 sec it asked for reset oil confirmation. Does this mean oil change?? Backed out at that point so as not to screw up anything.

Roger

ps Had an oil change (only) done at the dealer 3 days ago

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tried the reset on 06 CLK350 But after step 6 an OIL TYPE QF 1,0 screen came up on the display. After holding for 3 sec it asked for reset oil confirmation. Does this mean oil change?? Backed out at that point so as not to screw up anything.

Roger

ps Had an oil change (only) done at the dealer 3 days ago

Yes, and the dealer should already reset it for you.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts