Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I tasked myself with repairing a Norton door closer circa 1920s. It is a pot belly type and looks a lot like this:

The little bastard had long leaked out all of his oil and was slamming shut. This was slowly damaging the solid wood frame and stripping out the woodscrews holding him onto the door.

On the left and right sides there were adjustment screws that leaked gear oil everywhere.

I pulled the screws and found the remains of some sort of felt type o-ring that had long since gone bad. I picked it out which took a good two hours since these weren't really o-rings but really fat hunks of felt.

I took the small adjustment screws to the hardware store and picked up some viton o-rings.

Turns out, that those didn't work. Bastard was leaking oil everywhere so I had to go back to the store. What I needed were in fact multiple o-rings because the sealing screw needed to press against the housing.

I ended up trying more viton o-rings without any luck. This time, he just gizzed hydraulic oil all over the place.

Angry, I went to the hardware store for a THIRD time and settled on slightly undersized neoprene o-rings. They fit onto the adjustment screw and allowed the sealing screw to thread. I know neoprene isn't a great solution, but it's not terrible and since this isn't in an environment where it will see temperature extremes I figured WTHN (why the hell not).

Refilled with oil and started the process over again. This time, it worked! And best of all, I didn't have to deal with oil squirting on my face. Don't worry, unlike Carol I always wear my safety goggles.

I put some tooth picks and wood glue into the old screw holes so the screws had something to bite. Mounting was an even bigger pain in the @$$. The screws were flathead wood screws that looked as old as the building. One of them stripped as I was trying to drill it back in. F**k that, got some proper wood screws that were phillips and they went in like butter.

So for the moment of truth. I opened the door and....
ezgif.com-optimize.gif

I think I opened and closed that door like 20 times checking to see if it would leak. It didn't.

And it only took 8 hours too!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Persistence pays off!
Often my little jobs turn into big jobs because the tool I am using breaks down and I need to repair it before I can finish the original job.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Persistence pays off!
Often my little jobs turn into big jobs because the tool I am using breaks down and I need to repair it before I can finish the original job.
It is a basic law of nature that jobs often take twice as long to complete because before you can do the job you have to first fix the things you need to do the job. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts