Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1980's vintage Jack Daniel's Country Club 19th Hole hat that was passed on to me by my dad 20 years ago, as part of his collection. I wear it often - even to Flip's Orlando GTG this past Spring.

Putting it on 2 days ago, the plastic adjustment tab in the back broke. Well, I looked at cannibalizing other hats I have, to replace the tab. Too much sewing for me, would have to take it to the tailor at the dry cleaner's.

Looked all over the Web for a replacement - I'd wear it, and Dad's hat would retire to a place of honor on a shelf. Didn't like that idea much, and those particular hats are hard to find!

Then, an idea came out of nowhere. I have some JB Weld from another project - I wonder....

Yep. 4 hours later (it was the fast cure variety) the JB Weld is set and solid, the plastic tab is glued (I overlapped it for better grip and thus it is 1 notch shorter than it was) - but it fastens and works just fine. Hat is back in service, and I'm sure Dad is smiling somewhere. I could not believe any glue would bond to that plastic (polypropylene?) tab.

I first read about JB Weld on this forum - here's another testimonial.

And the hat.

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,362 Posts
Nice hat and great story. Congrats on saving it.

·
Registered
'85 380SL (155Kmiles), '82 240D stick, '80 300SD, '77 240D, '89 BMW 535i, 3 VW Diesels, 2 Triumphs
1,553 Posts
Yup, JB Weld is amazing stuff. It works exceedingly well when you can give it some surface area by providing reinforcement. Cut up aluminum beer cans are my material of choice for that and are easily found around the property.

I just awoke from my stupor and remembered that I did a fairly neat repair to one of the plastic sun visor tabs which was broken across the middle by using JB Weld reinforced with beer can on either side in the hollows of the tab . Repainted it ( grey interior) and it looks almost damn near original (and my wife is fussy) and is holding fine 18 months later. Save the $25 for something I can't fix, like brake pads....

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts
On the newer benzes, a lot of parts are plastic. I have had a couple of them break. One was a glove box hinge. Another was somewhat fragile pin clips (?) that push into sockets to hold lower dash panels in place. JB-Weld repaired both of those.

They have different types. Fast and slow cure for sure. Slow cure likely better strength.

There are a lot of different epoxies, but somehow JB got it right for the kind of car repairs we often face.

·
Registered
1989 560 SL - Signal Red & Palomino; 2011 C-300 - Black on Black 4MATIC
1,153 Posts
While I would not recomend it one use I have seen this product applied to is fixing rust pinholes on an air compressor tank...

·
Registered
1984 500SL 000760
509 Posts
JB Weld = Good Stuff, used it many times. Fixed a cracked side cover on a old suzuki that was leaking oil. It never dripped another drop after JB welding it.

·
Registered
1975 450sl 9200 La Dolce Vita. 2009 e350 gone, 2019 e400 coupe
119 Posts
While I would not recomend it one use I have seen this product applied to is fixing rust pinholes on an air compressor tank...
I used JB just last week my secondary drip pad in my ac unit in my home was ieaking from the pipe connection . I put some JB on the lieaking pipe done.they also have one you that can be applied when the pipe is wet.

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,104 Posts
Always thought that with a little JB Weld, a roll of duct tape and a set of vice grips you can fix half of the world's problems.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Just used it to patch my friends PS-pump on his caravan. Cleaned the area around the rust hole and jury rigged a shop-vac over the filler so fluid wouldn't leak durring the repair.

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
I used JB just last week my secondary drip pad in my ac unit in my home was ieaking from the pipe connection . I put some JB on the lieaking pipe done.they also have one you that can be applied when the pipe is wet.
Off subject, but I would be concerned about why you had water in the secondary pan??

I had that recently with a newly installed air handler. They had got the levels wrong and primary pan was overflowing to secondary pan instead of flowing down the condensate drain.

Since corrected and I installed a pump on the secondary pan which hopefully will never have to run!

·
Registered
1975 450sl 9200 La Dolce Vita. 2009 e350 gone, 2019 e400 coupe
119 Posts
Off subject, but I would be concerned about why you had water in the secondary pan??

I had that recently with a newly installed air handler. They had got the levels wrong and primary pan was overflowing to secondary pan instead of flowing down the condensate drain.

Since corrected and I installed a pump on the secondary pan which hopefully will never have to run!
the pan in the air handler rusted out. that's when the secondary pick up the condensate . I having a new unit put in today,buy the way the old unit was put in 86 I got my money worth. my power co has a rebates 1000.00 per unit.

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
the pan in the air handler rusted out. that's when the secondary pick up the condensate . I having a new unit put in today,buy the way the old unit was put in 86 I got my money worth. my power co has a rebates 1000.00 per unit.
Good stuff - If your unit is like mine, new primary tray will be plastic. No more rust!

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Ok, I use JB weld also, it is currently plugging a hole in the cylinder head of my pickup. It is good BUT if you use it in a high vibration area, heat, or strong sunlight area the stuff goes brittle after 6months and breaks. Not the best epoxy in the world. Honestly I think when you make a product designed to patch everything it doesn't patch anything well.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
Ok, I use JB weld also, it is currently plugging a hole in the cylinder head of my pickup. It is good BUT if you use it in a high vibration area, heat, or strong sunlight area the stuff goes brittle after 6months and breaks. Not the best epoxy in the world. Honestly I think when you make a product designed to patch everything it doesn't patch anything well.
I don't know about that and I might have the best story on that stuff. About 7 years ago, my then 75 year old boiler blew a hole in the cast iron--where water flows through it in the firebox. It did this in mid January and it was about 15F outside in the morning. I knew it went because a pump on the return line started squealing. Boiler water all over the basement floor. I called a good friend (Joe) who is great with hot water heating systems and asked him if he had time to help me replace the furnace--a unit covered with asbestos, no less.

He said no, not in January, not unless we absolutely had to. He told me to measure the size of the blow out in the casting. Get a drill bit and tap just slightly larger. Once drilled and tapped, take a bolt and use JB Weld on it like pipe dope, screw it in snug, but not overly tight so as not to split the cast iron. Then he told me to put a couple of 500 watt halogen lights on it to aid the curing process--24 hours. I heated the house with coal in the fireplaces during that time. It dropped down to -12F that night.

Anyway, long story short, that JBWeld held for four years until I was ready to have an asbestos crew come in and take it out along with all of the asbestos covered pipe in the basement. Replaced it with a three zone system that required 600 feet of 1" copper piping. Joe came over to hook up the gas and fire it up. Joe smiled about the old JB Weld trick and said "see, told ya ya didn't want to replace the old one in the dead of winter, you never would have had the time to replace all that old pipe with the pretty new copper".

That firebox was hot when running on a cold winter's night in January--very hot. That old boiler was 6ft around and 5.5ft tall. Major firebox on that puppy.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
OK you talked me into it I think I'll give that a try. Thanks Robert, great story.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
OK you talked me into it I think I'll give that a try. Thanks Robert, great story.
Thank Joe, it was his idea. Third generation plumber, great family. Use the long cure stuff and the light. Drill it, tap it and screw the bolt in. Let er sit for 24 hours.

:)

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, Robert, that beats the heck out of my hat story! That's a great one.

I'll have to keep that stuff around.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
Well, Robert, that beats the heck out of my hat story! That's a great one.

I'll have to keep that stuff around.
I know, most amazing thing--when I refilled the boiler and it held water I smiled, but then I fired it up and kept waiting for it to pop back out--it took me two weeks to relax on it. Same guy saved a friend's mother over 3,000.00 with a quick but permanent fix to her steam boiler. Everyone else who looked at it told her would need a "tear down". Old Joe rapped on a few vales with a pipe wrench, changed out a couple more and the thing has run flawlessly for the last two winters. His mother says the best in 30 years.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hmmmm - an improper spider gasket repair late last summer has resulted in a swimming pool filter control valve that doesn't always re-seal. If one doesn't close it just right (you have to fiddle with it), it will dump pressurized water into the thin plastic large diameter hose we use while backwashing the filter and also to lower the pool water level after heavy rains.

The pool service guy forgot to check that he had "positioned" the thing properly last week - it filled and pressurized the hose, which was wrapped around a reel - crushed the reel, and put a 4" tear in the hose. Damned 75 foot hose is over $100 to replace.

Guess what the next use for JB Weld is going to be?

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
I just made another post about my cracked blower housing. Looks like I have found another use for JB-Weld :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts