Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

OT: ICE or EV.....when's the tipping point?

19486 Views 455 Replies 56 Participants Last post by  mrelbe
So....I'm in a position to buy a new vehicle. No real rush...and not sure if I'll go pick up again or SUV at this point.

But let's just say I buy something in 2022.

Tree huggers want everything to go 100% EV by what...2030 something?

As that time approaches more and more EVs will be on the road. Less demand for gasoline.

Price of gas goes up...making an ICE more expensive to operate. Probably fewer gas stations to boot.

And then...try selling or trading in an ICE for the inevitable EV....who will want one, at that point?

I find myself at that transition point.

What to do....what to do?
401 - 420 of 456 Posts

· Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
14,011 Posts
The only thing I'd consider would be a plug-in hybrid.
But I'm keeping my stink'in 'ol 1985 300 diesel as a backup, which can run on almost anything including a blend of (filtered) waste oil.
Today, I loaded 8 5-litre jugs of waste oil into my '85 300D trunk and took it to the recycle drop off. You mean I could have just put it in the tank ;)

My three old Benzes are all still in pretty good shape and run well. Plus we have the Outback for long trips. What would we give up on if we bought an EV or hybrid? Too many cars can be a problem. Right now, it is which one to park outside.

· Registered
2006 ML320 CDi, 3.0-litre Diesel 7G-Tronic
11,565 Posts
Since many years ago, when some taxi driver tried used fish & chips shop oil in his diesel Mercedes after filtering it through muslin cloth to remove the grits, used oil has to be sent for"proper disposal" and the fish shops had to pay for its collection and disposal.

Now they sell it to diesel owners for half the price of pump diesel fuel, around £1.80 per litre, so £0.90 per litre.

The only way to.know is the smell of burnt chips as one passes.

In the Republic of Ireland they have enormous problems with people using agricultural diesel in their cars. So the police carry out continual random spot checks.

If you have a diesel try used fish shop oil.

You may need to cycle your glow plugs a couple of times before you try to get it started, but once it starts you're off.

· Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
35,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
Since many years ago, when some taxi driver tried used fish & chips shop oil in his diesel Mercedes after filtering it through muslin cloth to remove the grits, used oil has to be sent for"proper disposal" and the fish shops had to pay for its collection and disposal.

Now they sell it to diesel owners for half the price of pump diesel fuel, around £1.80 per litre, so £0.90 per litre.

The only way to.know is the smell of burnt chips as one passes.

In the Republic of Ireland they have enormous problems with people using agricultural diesel in their cars. So the police carry out continual random spot checks.

If you have a diesel try used fish shop oil.

You may need to cycle your glow plugs a couple of times before you try to get it started, but once it starts you're off.
My friend and his old VW...had a separate tank for the restaurant cooking oil. Started the car with diesel....drove a bit and then flicked a toggle on the dash and pure cooking oil. :)

· Registered
06'E350 wgn,05'E320 CDI,04'E320 wgn,85'300CD,67'230SL
755 Posts
+1 ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I know a guy that uses the restaurant oil. Filters it, then blends with regular diesel or kerosene, 55 gallon batches at a time. He also runs a farm, so the diesel or kero he purchases in bulk is for agricultural use. I suppose when he delivers veggies to his restaurant customers, he can pick up their fryer oil too.
But I get hungry from the smell of french fries driving behind him. :p

· Registered
11,565 Posts

· Registered
755 Posts
Have you looked at the retail price of Lithium batteries lately? Pkg. of 12 of the small AAA batteries for our TV remotes.....$32 at Lowe's yesterday. Yikes! They were less than1/2 that last year.
As the demand for rare elements skyrockets, so will the prices.

· Registered
11,565 Posts
Who can have any confidence in the safety of anything Chinese in view of the large number of exploding phones and laptops?

They care nothing if a thousand cars catch fire and burn their occupants to death.

They think they will sell 70,000+ to us mugs.

We shall see.

· Registered
755 Posts
Shiat's on fire yo

+1 ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Aren't those Jaguars that are cooking on the truck? Never known for dependable wiring; I can't even imagine an EV Jaguar. OMG
Of course, they're all probably getting their batteries from the same sources, but a Jaguar EV. That's double trouble IMHO. 🤣

· Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,484 Posts
Who can have any confidence in the safety of anything Chinese in view of the large number of exploding phones and laptops?

They care nothing if a thousand cars catch fire and burn their occupants to death.

They think they will sell 70,000+ to us mugs.

We shall see.
You mean kind of like the Ford Pinto??

· Registered
11,565 Posts
Well, I just looked it up and...

The Pinto needed to be rear-ended to burst into flames. Many American cars did that, look at most "action" movies.

The Chinese phone, laptop and car batteries don't need an external force, they self-ignite.

What sets them aside is that they don't care about how many of us mugs die.

And that our own people know that they will kill some to many of us, but still import and sell the same dangerous crap despite our fire services testing and condemning samples of many Chinese products and informing everyone involved. Our governments are equally responsible because they do nothing to prevent the importation of these deadly goods and don't prosecute the importers or sellers.

Our countries' Safety stamps and labels are forged, the manufacturers will put any label you want on any item, counterfeit or not.

So we should start by finding and hanging those American and European murderers from trees first.

Many Chinese have entered our countries and set themselves up as sellers of fake copies of everything that was good, including engine fuel injector cleaners like RedEx - believe it or not.

Like their dangerous electrical items, there is very little hope of their batteries being safe.

· Registered
755 Posts
🤣 or the Pontiac Fire-O errr...Fiero.
The EV book hasn't been written yet, but I'm fine letting the Beta-testers go for it.

Meanwhile....I think I'll hold onto my 2005 E320 CDI diesel that gets 37mpg highway. Or my 85 300CD that will long outlive me.

· Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,484 Posts
What sets them aside is that they don't care about how many of us mugs die.

[/QUOTE]
Seriously?? How many lawsuits did Ford quietly settle with non-disclosure attachments
rather than recall a moving time bomb because it was cheaper.

· Registered
2015 GL350
395 Posts
In the case of the Pinto, it was the straps/mounts for the fuel tank that caused the problems. It could have been fixed, but it was too late by the time Ford started looking at a fix. Batteries, on the other hand will take more than a stronger case to fix.

401 - 420 of 456 Posts