Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

OT: ICE or EV.....when's the tipping point?

19486 Views 455 Replies 56 Participants Last post by  mrelbe
So....I'm in a position to buy a new vehicle. No real rush...and not sure if I'll go pick up again or SUV at this point.

But let's just say I buy something in 2022.

Tree huggers want everything to go 100% EV by what...2030 something?

As that time approaches more and more EVs will be on the road. Less demand for gasoline.

Price of gas goes up...making an ICE more expensive to operate. Probably fewer gas stations to boot.

And then...try selling or trading in an ICE for the inevitable EV....who will want one, at that point?

I find myself at that transition point.

What to do....what to do?
381 - 400 of 456 Posts

· Registered
MBZ '85 380SL, RR '77 Silver Shadow II, MBZ '98 E300TD, BMW '02 E46
658 Posts
If these are the same one-person flying taxis I'm thinking of, the maximum weight of passenger and luggage is 250 lbs. Where is aforementioned "Indian driver" sitting? I wouldn't be surprised if they were remotely operated - from China.

· Registered
2006 ML320 CDi, 3.0-litre Diesel 7G-Tronic
11,565 Posts
Sorry, that should read Abu Dhabi, not Dubai, my mistake.

But we can be sure that Dubai won't be long behind.

See this:

There's no mention of the vehicles for Abu Dhabi.

Abu Dhabi and Dubai taxis are mostly driven by Indian drivers. They don't know "smooth", just as fast as the speed limit allows, but still a very uncomfortable ride.

Here's ADP:

· Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
14,558 Posts
Sorry, that should read Abu Dhabi, not Dubai, my mistake.

But we can be sure that Dubai won't be long behind.

See this:

There's no mention of the vehicles for Abu Dhabi.

Abu Dhabi and Dubai taxis are mostly driven by Indian drivers. They don't know "smooth", just as fast as the speed limit allows, but still a very uncomfortable ride.

Here's ADP:

Years ago someone asked Igor Sikorsky if he would ever build a helicopter with 2 main rotors like on the Boeing CH46 and CH47. His reply was one rotor, one problem, two rotors two problems. I wonder what he would say about 8 rotors.

· Registered
11,565 Posts
Yes but it is the propeller that is making all the noise.
I had a few free flights in Tiger Moths and Chipmunks many years ago, leather jacket, leather helmet, goggles and all!

The Cessnas must have been like Rolls Royces, flying carpets!?

Have it/them off, old boy, have them off! The props, I mean! :p

· Registered
11,565 Posts
Hmm, I design semiconductor Fab high purity bulk gas systems including Hydrogen and I'll stick with all of the hassles of EV charging.
It's just another alternative propulsion system.

There are bound to be more.

Current EV technology is already dead in my view, it's too inefficient.

Toyota recently rescinded its commitment to electric vehicles, because they are working on several alternatives including hydrogen.

This one isn't bad for a first attempt, 300 miles range and 5 minute fillup.

They had previously committed exclusively to produce 30 electric vehicles.

That's a phenomenal number

· Registered
1985 280SL (Euro)
589 Posts
While there are apparently several ways in which hydrogen can be used as a power source, the one with the most promise has been popular in science fiction for decades - that is the fuel cell. Portable, rechargeable and versatile. No stopping to refuel on a long trip. just put a few extra fuel cells in the trunk and tally-ho! If it's good enough for interstellar travel, powering a road car should be a snap.

· Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
14,011 Posts
While there are apparently several ways in which hydrogen can be used as a power source, the one with the most promise has been popular in science fiction for decades - that is the fuel cell. Portable, rechargeable and versatile. No stopping to refuel on a long trip. just put a few extra fuel cells in the trunk and tally-ho! If it's good enough for interstellar travel, powering a road car should be a snap.
I don't know about science fiction fuel cells, but the ones in cars and buses aren't like that! Perhaps you were talking about the type that use use dilithium crystals catalyzing a matter/antimatter reaction that generates a warp field enabling faster-than-light travel ?

Actual earthbound fuel cells convert a fuel like hydrogen into electricity. Not portable and not recharged because they don't store energy.

The hydrogen can be produced by the reverse - Supply water and electricity to an electrolytic cell (much like a fuel cell) and produce hydrogen. But not IN the car ;)

So in effect cars would run on water :)

· Registered
11,565 Posts
Apparently it takes a lot of power to produce the hydrogen, and it then has to be chilled until sold, using more electricity.

So overall it is Not a "clean fuel" until we only have clean energy workdwide.

I think the fillup cost $60.

So it's not the cheapest either.

Early days.

Time will tell.

· Registered
11,565 Posts
Here comes the ""Tipping Point":

When we're currently paying £25,000+ for the cheapest basic EVs and they can produce basic models for under £10,000 there's a lot of our market share to be gained. 3-year leasing is available now for around £500 per month for EVs and under £400 per month for hybrids in the UK. If they can get the lease price of EVs under £350 they'll rocket up, the car will pay itself back in full in the 3 years, leaving the leasing companies 50-60% residual value, assuming battery life will extend to 5+ years as expected.

Power demands will rocket too, possibly causing power outages unheard of in the UK before.

Let's see.

· Registered
06'E350 wgn,05'E320 CDI,04'E320 wgn,85'300CD,67'230SL
755 Posts
EV's not much good in Ukraine right now. :rolleyes:
The only thing I'd consider would be a plug-in hybrid.
But I'm keeping my stink'in 'ol 1985 300 diesel as a backup, which can run on almost anything including a blend of (filtered) waste oil.

381 - 400 of 456 Posts