Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
361 - 380 of 456 Posts

· Registered
2006 ML320 CDi, 3.0-litre Diesel 7G-Tronic
11,565 Posts
I think only we old fogies have enjoyed the best of Mercs and other powerful gas guzzlers and freedom to use the roads, the next generations have been limited by laws and money.

Next? Automatic carriages that pick you up and join together on major routes?

Maybe that's not a bad thing, the way some fools drive these days and cause multiple pileups.

· Registered
1987 300SL
2,445 Posts
I think only we old fogies have enjoyed the best of Mercs and other powerful gas guzzlers and freedom to use the roads, the next generations have been limited by laws and money.

Maybe that's not a bad thing, the way some fools drive these days and cause multiple pileups.
But do we trust autonomous vehicles? Probably not yet
And if we do end up going that direction, most likely than not, vehicles won't need head lights, turn signals, stop lights
There'll be no need for traffic lights
And what becomes of our garages when ownership of cars ceases
Not saying it will be a bad thing, but it will be different

· Registered
2006 ML320 CDi, 3.0-litre Diesel 7G-Tronic
11,565 Posts
Garages can become hobby workshops, storage, granny apartments, chicken houses...

People won't have work, machines will make everything because it's cheaper. So they'll have to scrape a living, grow their own food, no higher education if any education at all.

I fear it won't be long, there are already 30 million Americans who are below the poverty line:

That's around 9% of your 330 million population.

And there are 20% of our 67 million (13 million?) below the poverty line in the UK too:

There is no "family Unit" any more.

That's what "freedom" means in practice.

· Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
9,193 Posts
Garages can become hobby workshops, storage, granny apartments, chicken houses...

People won't have work, machines will make everything because it's cheaper. So they'll have to scrape a living, grow their own food, no higher education if any education at all.
The World Economic Forum predicts "You will own nothing and be happy about it" suggesting that to better utilize
assets and equipment its best to rent it for use and then return it for others to use - ex: renting a lawn plugger in the fall of the year for half a day and returning it for someone else to use. In the future when you need a ride to a destination, simply use the App on your smartphone to summon a self driving car to come to your home and pick you up. Once at your destination, the self driving car goes off to service some other poor slob.

Not needing a car anymore, we can repurpose our Garage spaces in to craft rooms, man caves, extra bedroom, or as rentals. Those room models at the IKEA store show some pretty comfortable living spaces in 2 car and even 1 car size spaces.

We could live in a radically different future. Over my lifetime I've noted huge increase in populations and changes in our daily lives. Some predict we will someday have diets moreso vegatarian and insects rather than fish, beef, chicken, and poutry. We already are seeing synthetic foods like the "Impossible Whopper" that has the same taste as real hamburger.

Robotics and A.I. are already in our homes - we have a Robovac and have "Alexa" as our personal assistant. In addition, with forums like BenzWorld today we have much better access to information than we had when I was a young man. In addition with the increase in economic activity, we have much better access to tools and spare parts.

Our World is changing very fast.

Reactions: Jim-ML320W164

· Registered
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
35 Posts

I agree, I think we have lived during the most impressive, fascinating era of time and the current young generation(s) will never see or get to experience such. Not to discount the many great things that have happened in the past two thousand years.

· Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
14,558 Posts
The World Economic Forum predicts "You will own nothing and be happy about it" suggesting that to better utilize
assets and equipment its best to rent it for use and then return it for others to use - ex: renting a lawn plugger in the fall of the year for half a day and returning it for someone else to use. In the future when you need a ride to a destination, simply use the App on your smartphone to summon a self driving car to come to your home and pick you up. Once at your destination, the self driving car goes off to service some other poor slob.

Not needing a car anymore, we can repurpose our Garage spaces in to craft rooms, man caves, extra bedroom, or as rentals. Those room models at the IKEA store show some pretty comfortable living spaces in 2 car and even 1 car size spaces.

We could live in a radically different future. Over my lifetime I've noted huge increase in populations and changes in our daily lives. Some predict we will someday have diets moreso vegatarian and insects rather than fish, beef, chicken, and poutry. We already are seeing synthetic foods like the "Impossible Whopper" that has the same taste as real hamburger.

Robotics and A.I. are already in our homes - we have a Robovac and have "Alexa" as our personal assistant. In addition, with forums like BenzWorld today we have much better access to information than we had when I was a young man. In addition with the increase in economic activity, we have much better access to tools and spare parts.

Our World is changing very fast.
Were getting to be like Ireland before alcohol.

· Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
14,011 Posts
with forums like BenzWorld today we have much better access to information than we had when I was a young man. In addition with the increase in economic activity, we have much better access to tools and spare parts.
So we will still be able to keep and work on our old cars ? Great!!!!!

· Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
14,011 Posts

· Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,484 Posts
Marinas have used the multi-use system for decades. Join a sailing club and just pay for your usage.
Need bottom paint (hugely expensive) most marina stores sell by weight, bring back what you
don't use and only pay for what you did. Savings get passed on to the next person.
No more boat lockers full of dried cans of paint.
Come to think of it, flying clubs operate on the same principal.

361 - 380 of 456 Posts