Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove the V6 A6 yesterday and it looks to be a far more capable and usable car than the E350 - Interior quality is just leaps and bounds above that of the mercedes. I had been looking at the CLS 500 as a replacement for my C320 but i think that will now fall to the A6 4.2 Quattro.

Anyone has any experience with Audi sedans?
Cheers!

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
My only experience goes back to my sisters in the early to mid 70's and that wasn't very good, the acronym AUDI for Always Unsafe Designs Implemented comes to mind.

I have heard better things recently...[:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
From what I've heard from other Audi owners is, it's pretty and practical when it works. The sad thing is it spends alot of time in the service department.

You might want to check the Audi forums if you haven't already before making your decision.

·
Registered
slk 350
116 Posts
I had a 2001 A6 2.7T for nearly four years and it was trouble free. All regular maintenance was no-charge and my local service experience was excellent. I too test drove the new A6 and liked it a lot but ended up getting a Phaeton instead. Incomparable!

·
Registered
2000SLK-2005SLK
57 Posts
My wife has an Audi A4 she bought new in 2002. Interior quality is excellent and we have had no problems @ 13,000 miles. She has the Quatro.

·
Registered
SLK 200, Golf V GTI
269 Posts
A guy I know has had an S4 for 5 years now, completely trouble free, and loves every minute spent in the car. Another friend has a previous generation A6-had a couple of minor problems, but he says the luxuriousness and build quality of the car far outweigh the problems. Isn't that what a warranty is for anyway? [;)] I guess the other half of the equation is to make sure you find a dealer with whom you can establish a good relationship, for when something does go wrong.

Drove the new A6 (v6) the other day and I was very surprised. handled competently, looked good, and the interior was stunning. Even the MMI was simple to use! If you are after something completely unique and have an unlimited budget, get the CLS. If you want to save $10 grand, and get a car that does much the same thing and is more understated, go for the 4.2 quattro.

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
I had a 2000 A6 2.7T Quattro and replaced it at 60K with a 2003, same type, 6speed. The seats , ride quality and handling are very good.The reliability has been excellent. The dealers vary greatly in ability to diagnose and fix these software driven machines. The only problems I've had are replacement of Bose headunits X 4 and fuel sender units X 3. My wife has a 2003 A4 1.8T MT 5 Quattro which for $18K less is almost as comfortable and quick, with a nice sized trunk. Her car has only been in for routine maintainance. Now that premium is at $2.35/gallon, her 25 mpg is another reason to consider the A4. It handles better on the twisty bits, but is rougher on the high speed roads.

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phat Cat - 4/20/2005 7:44 PM

I had a 2001 A6 2.7T for nearly four years and it was trouble free. All regular maintenance was no-charge and my local service experience was excellent. I too test drove the new A6 and liked it a lot but ended up getting a Phaeton instead. Incomparable!
Wow... thats quite a leap.
How do you like your phaeton so far? Care to post some pics?
Thanks!

·
Registered
SLK200 Auto (171)
186 Posts
If it's any help, here in europe (uk) Audi is widely considered to be ahead of mercedes and bmw for quality. BMW usually wins for driving plaesure, but audi reigns head and shoulders above bmw and merc for quality - esp. interiors.

I have had several Audis, one which did 100000 miles + without anything other than standard sericing. I think, unless you want to buy japanese, audi is proibably the most reliable marque there is.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
I love Audi's and I've always been a big Audi fan. Audi sedans are a complete package. Definitely leaps and bounds ahead of the competition as far as interior design, fit and finish. And having quattro just makes it that much more versatile as a car. I've had a B5 A4, a B5 S4 2.7T, a C5 A6 3.0, and now a B6 S4 4.2. I loved them all and highly recommend them to friends and family. My next sedan will still be an Audi no doubt. I am currently first in line for the upcoming RS4 at my dealership. As for the C6 A6 you are considering, it is a beautiful car. The design heads at Audi are on a roll. The 4.2 motor is silky smooth and one of the best V8 powerplants in the market. I believe it is essentially the same as the one inside my S4 except tuned down slightly to rev a little lower. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Some people report totally reliable cars, others seem to have Audi's with constant nagging problems.

Probably just a case of friday cars to wednesday cars.

·
Registered
slk 350
116 Posts
SIlver_Lana - 4/21/2005 8:15 AM

Wow... thats quite a leap.
How do you like your phaeton so far? Care to post some pics?
Thanks!
Perhaps not as much of a leap as you suspect. VW had massive incentives at the end of last year on the remaining 2004 models. I had to drive 300 miles on New Year's day to get the last V8 w/ incentive in the NorthEast, and I had to endure my worst dealer experience by far, but it was worth it. I actually got the Phaeton for slightly less $$ than the A6 4.2 and $20K under the comparably equipped A8L.

The car shares dimensions and mechanicals (i.e., engine, suspension, AWD transmission) w/ the A8, but it is actually built on a Bentley platform. VW are bozos for trying to sell such a high-end car under the VW brand in the US, but their stupidity is our gain.

As to the Phaeton, it is simply the best car I have ever driven. And I have had MB, Lexus, Jag, Audi, and others. I like the fact that it is anti-bling and no one feels compelled to pass me, as it seems everyone does with the SLK350. People just assume it's an overgrown Passat......until they ride in it.

I’ll post a link to some photos on the Phaeton forum that are better than any I could take.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts