Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm too embarrassed to admit this to anyone in person but would like to get it off my chest. Recently I was driving in San Francisco, after it had rained. I was approaching a very nice looking young couple dressed formally (tux, evening gown, flowers, etc). They were standing near the edge of the sidewalk. Neither I nor my passenger noticed the huge, lake-size puddle in front of them, and I was keeping my eyes focused on other vehicles in traffic anyway. Naturally when I hit the puddle, the couple was sprayed with near pressure-washer force. In a split-second I saw the wall of grimy water spraying them directly in the face primarily, and of course everywhere else really. I came nearly to a stop about 25 feet past as the ABS system clicked away. Looking back, I could see the young man shaking his head while holding and rubbing his eyes. The young lady, well, she was standing very stiffly with her mouth wide open as if trying to spit out the wet grime. Her light-colored gown had to have been filthy. I strongly considered circling the block to contact them but I have no idea what I could have done to help them at that point. Maybe give them some cash for a cab ride home and to ease my own guilt? Anyway my passenger told me to floor it before I get sued, shot, or beaten, and he added that the young lady was most likely running her mouth endlessly and had it wide open during the splash, so she actually contributed to the accident. I still feel I should have gone back now :( Not sure what the moral of this story is.....but maybe someone has had a similar experience.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I've done worse although I won't confess the details here.

The victims will laugh about it, someday.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,083 Posts
I'm too embarrassed to admit this to anyone in person but would like to get it off my chest. Recently I was driving in San Francisco, after it had rained. I was approaching a very nice looking young couple dressed formally (tux, evening gown, flowers, etc). They were standing near the edge of the sidewalk. Neither I nor my passenger noticed the huge, lake-size puddle in front of them, and I was keeping my eyes focused on other vehicles in traffic anyway. Naturally when I hit the puddle, the couple was sprayed with near pressure-washer force. In a split-second I saw the wall of grimy water spraying them directly in the face primarily, and of course everywhere else really. I came nearly to a stop about 25 feet past as the ABS system clicked away. Looking back, I could see the young man shaking his head while holding and rubbing his eyes. The young lady, well, she was standing very stiffly with her mouth wide open as if trying to spit out the wet grime. Her light-colored gown had to have been filthy. I strongly considered circling the block to contact them but I have no idea what I could have done to help them at that point. Maybe give them some cash for a cab ride home and to ease my own guilt? Anyway my passenger told me to floor it before I get sued, shot, or beaten, and he added that the young lady was most likely running her mouth endlessly and had it wide open during the splash, so she actually contributed to the accident. I still feel I should have gone back now :( Not sure what the moral of this story is.....but maybe someone has had a similar experience.
Ah yes. A decision in life that might haunt you forever.

Or not.

I even teach my kids not to stand next to a puddle or to run by one if there is traffic that might hit the puddle.

Common sense....especially in a busy city.

I'd feel bad too but I can rationalize it.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,819 Posts
The only thing you did wrong was stopping, admitting guilt, and then deciding to drive on after feeling guilty.

I spent some time living downtown, and VERY quickly learned to be very careful around puddles in the city. The folks clearly were not versed city-dwellers. The cars usually can't do anything to avoid puddles in tight city driving. Cars are not required by law to avoid puddles when driving. Pedestrians should look both ways and watch where they are walking.

I may have accidentally gotten someone with a puddle in the past. It certainly was not intentional if I ever had. If I did, what am I supposed to offer them, a towel? Say I'm sorry so they can't go tell a story of how some serious A-hole splashed them?

They had a good story to tell and learned a lesson. I'm sure the city dwellers at the party felt sorry for them, and didn't hold it against them. Who knows, maybe the people were laid back enough to just let their hair down at the party and have a better time because of it. If that's the case, they should thank you for all the great things you did for them, including giving them a story about the total d!ckhead who splashed them.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Were all snickering, and feeling your embarrassment, but sometimes you just can't avoid the situation fate puts in your path. Don't try to 'could'a, would'a should'a, it happened, you never intended it to happen, that should be enough to show there was no evil played on your part, even splitting afterwards, it would have been bad form either way, as there would have been nothing accomplished in returning. What's that saying? ..... s_hit happens....;)

·
Registered
509 Posts
At least they can say they were splashed by a Mercedes, not some domestic rust bucket full of low lifes.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
My guess is they were not from SF and probably were just in the City for a celebration of some sort, pretty common for the Bay area. Quite possibly rode Bart in and had a squishy, squealy ride back to their car.

Unfortunately, standing near a puddle can have the result of dampening one's enthusiasm, as well as their clothing. That's a mistake they won't repeat.

Assuming they're still together. :D :D

OTOH, I hope YOU enjoyed your trip!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
You should have practiced for NYC driving and backed up and splashed them again.

Reminds me of an old joke, moans appreciated.

Famous for politeness, a Japanese tourist was visiting NYC for the second time. He wanted to visit the Met, so he asked a cabbie, "excuse me sir, could you tell me how to get to the Met or should I just go fuck myself?".

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
As horrible as this may sound, but if you're suited and booted, you should not be standing on the side of the road near a big puddle. That said, what happened happened, and I suspect that if you circled round and got out, you would have gotten an ear full from the couple and possibly a fat lip.

Now go donate some money to charity :)

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,083 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts