Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,158 Posts
Since this is the new subtopic (self driving), I'll chime in on that topic.
... BTW self driving is not connected to an engine type.
Game changer might also be to make public transportation as effective as Uber. Why do we need to wait at a bus stop for the empty bus to pick us up? Why can’t we track the busses on an app to know exactly what second we need to get our butts to the bus stop. If we are talking about the public / rental transportation market, the conversation does take a left turn pretty quickly.

Correct, it’s got zero to do with ICE vs EV. I think we can all agree on that.

Where do you guys most like the application if EV over ICE?
For me...
At Disneyworld, the electric monorail is nice. No stinky ICE emissions. But take a walk to the “Futureland” with the lawnmower engine powered go carts, and I was like “WTF? DISNEY hasn’t come up with a cleaner air solution?” The whole area of the park stunk like fuel. I was pleased to see it shut down to be redone last spring.

So, to extrapolate:
A) when you have many small vehicles that don’t have high tech emission control —> EV. Cities, or really any place where there are lots of people. The electric golf carts on a golf course or driving through the Florida mangroves to the gulf coast beaches. Don’t screw up my enjoyment of nature. Don’t pollute my cities due to the sheer density of everything (so I can smell the sewage please).
B) when you’ve got long distances to travel with fewer, larger vehicles, through rural areas that have plenty of fresh air: ICE
C) when you have extremely large power demands, and you can assure the most effective emission controls are used, assuring the correct Air-fuel mixture, and assure that virtually noting but CO2 and H2O are being released into the atmosphere, sure, use combustibles if it demands, but if possible, use renewable waste: plant material that will rot and release the CO2 anyway, recycling streams that would pollute the earth and landfills. There will always be benefits of generating electricity via combustion. Just minimize wastefulness and be mindful of our planet.

I think if places like Mumbai and the cities of China, São Paulo, Mexico City, LA, NY, Philly, SF, etc could all adopt this philosophy, then we will be making progress. ICE isn’t going away, and we have been using EV for decades, but it’s just now that everyone can give EV some thought. All we had before was Gas or Diesel, then hybrid, now EV. Maybe Fuel cell will come soon.

The Cybertruck for $40k as opposed to a $40k ICE vehicles is something that I believe I would like to try when it comes out. I understand it will have its drawbacks. Would I be willing to pony up and extra $30k to have the top of the line? I’m not sure yet, and don’t need to decide yet. So I am putting this off to decide down the road. Maybe I can sell off a significant portion of my classic MB collection, and replace it with an EV convertible???? Will we get to the point where that option is available???? A 5 seat convertible too??? Or will ICE —> EV conversion be an option for old polluting classics? Imaging if we could simply fill our fuel tanks with something that would power a zero emissions motor. Just hook the zero emissions motor to the existing drive shaft and an accessory drive, and go. Offer options to replace the axle and suspensions with regenerative braking axles, front axle conversions only maybe. Some day... if we all keep pushing forward.

EV towing: Just make my trailer have its own battery and propulsion system connected via a brain to the drive vehicle. So when I hit the accelerator in my drive vehicle, the trailer drives too, and brakes with regenerative brakes too. It seems like a simple solution to the towing challenge that appears to make EV towing impractical for anything over 100 miles. I will never be able to use a cybertruck to go fetch old POS Mercedes myself. Maybe that’s a good thing.

Sorry for the ramble, but...

Even though EV might not be for you, realize they do have their applications. Perhaps they make sense for your life.

And here are some sources. I think you can see how EV might make sense for (suburban and ) urban California.

·
Registered
1985 280SL (Euro)
211 Posts
Quite frankly, anyone who goes in for this parking pool and rental nonsense deserves all they're going to get.Can you be seriously thinking in terms of letting just about anyone indiscriminately drive your $70,000 car without any safeguards? Methinks your cleaning and maintenance costs would skyrocket.

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,864 Posts

Even though EV might not be for you, realize they do have their applications. Perhaps they make sense for your life.

I do agree with above, perhaps I am more (or overly) critical of other statements and quotes but I'm not getting sucked in the debate... it always departs from facts and exclusively lands in emotions minefield.

When AFR is 14.7, and piston near the TDC, the spark can be weak - it will ignite. Not sure we need this at all.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Quite frankly, anyone who goes in for this parking pool and rental nonsense deserves all they're going to get.Can you be seriously thinking in terms of letting just about anyone indiscriminately drive your $70,000 car without any safeguards? Methinks your cleaning and maintenance costs would skyrocket.

Might make more sense to pick up an average condition used self driving Tesla from a rural area and take it to a city or large suburban area and put it to work making you money.

·
Registered
1979 280 SL 4-speed, 2015 GLK 350 4-MATIC, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed
62 Posts
As someone said earlier, “Do we want to be the generation they look back on as the ones who could have “put out the fire?”” I say no. Bill Gates and Elon Musk believe we can “invent” our way out of this mess and so do I. We need to make it a priority like we did in WWII and start building. Musk wants to build a solar field 100 x100 miles - crazy but that’s what they said about SpaceX. 30 plus years in Nuclear Power tells me we could build enough new plants in the US to replace all fossil generation (including natural gas) in ten years - IF we put or minds to it. Jaguar is already converting classic XKE’s to electric for Europeans, the same could be done for any classic vehicle to keep it on the road. Do I want my 280SL converted? No, but if we do some of the above it may not be necessary. Startrek has always been a good predictor of the future (cell phone, etc) and I remember a young James Kirk driving ICE powered 60s Stingray so maybe we’ll make it work after all.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Lot of people here would still be riding horses.

One of the reasons I love MB is they understand torque is fun. Electrics have gobs of it. No lag either. Just a hoot to drive and don't waste fuel by idling and warm-up cycles.

There is no doubt they are cleaner. How much is variable, as always the truth is somewhere in the middle.

For those worried about battery replacement...how much is a Mercedes engine or transmission?

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,158 Posts
So I’ve been thinking about this as if I would keep an EV in my driveway, but since I do have a garage, and since I’ve just this week decided to turn my driveway into a basketball court for the kids, I’m going to be keeping my main vehicle on the street. ... or replace all my Classic MB nonsense with an EV inside the garage.

I guess I could pull an EV into the driveway only at night after the kids are done playing. Seems like a bit of a hassle though. A dedicated garage space is surely best.

I guess it would be the most fun to turn an old classic into an EV, creating the best of both worlds.

Which one makes the most sense?

R107
C107 not my 5.0 SLC convertible ?
C126
W126 (hmm... I’ve got a rust free 300se)
W108

My nephew is an engineering student at UMD and has been making electric race cars for his summer job(s), and I’m keeping most of my collection at his parents’ farm. I’ve got two decent running 1972-1973 450sl cars with solid bodies. I do plan to pull the motor out of my w108 too though. All those are kept at his parents’ house currently.

Hmmm... that’s all really complicated and something I know nothing about.

I think I will simply start browsing EV that are available for sale. Used is always cheaper. But is there a tax credit for new ones only?

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,158 Posts
This video gets me excited. I wonder if we could figure out a design for r/c107 and repeat if over and over, perhaps making107 EV conversions both good and affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,158 Posts
EV West is conveniently located in San Diego where the probably have little need for either heat or AC. I was driving my kids to and from the orthodontist about 5 miles away in the cold rain thinking about how the heat in my car is nice.

If a car is relegated to only nice weather driving, then I guess it’s just a toy and the benefit of swapping the drive train to electric is limited.

At least it must be easier to drive an AC compressor than it is to retrofit heat into a classic car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1987 560SL
2,332 Posts
I have a great sense of accomplishment as I just made and mailed our annual 72 Christmas cards today (okay, Holiday cards) in time for 25 December delivery. In the context of this discussion it would be much more carbon neutral to send 72 email messages with a PDF attachment of my custom card image. No paper, no transportation, no repeat runs to the post office, no delay, just beams of light flowing over fiber optic cable that our tax money pre-installed worldwide. Pretty much a no-brainer, eh? This being said I don't send e-cards as they undermine tradition and diminish the value of a time honored craft. Similarly, I don't drive e-cars as they undermine tradition and diminish the value of a time honored craft. LOL.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts