Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine showed me his new (well, at least new to him) Mercedes today. A 1983 280SE. Yes, it had the M110 motor. And then he opened up the drivers door. And yes, it had the 5-speed. Simply beautiful!

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
A friend of mine showed me his new (well, at least new to him) Mercedes today. A 1983 280SE. Yes, it had the M110 motor. And then he opened up the drivers door. And yes, it had the 5-speed. Simply beautiful!
280SE yawn. Perhaps Nobby can post some pictures of his 280SL 5 speed. Now for real cool factor, how about a 560SL with a 5 speed. OK its and automatic but its still a 5 speed.

John Roncallo

Attachments

·
Always Remembered RIP
3,381 Posts
Does that say it's a v12. Oh It's you again John. Figs

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I've seen a couple of w126s with the I-6 and the manual. Neat car, but the w126 weighs quite a bit, and I'd bet the w126 in that setup wouldn't be as light and nimble as the 280SL with the 5-speed. I've driven a w126 280SE, and it's got some pep, but it sure isn't fast.

Hmm, choose between a V12 with an auto 5-speed or a V8 with a manual 5-speed. That's a tough one.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Hmm, choose between a V12 with an auto 5-speed or a V8 with a manual 5-speed. That's a tough one.
It shouldn't be too hard to decide. The V12 doesn't have a gas pedal, the V8 does. I'd go for the one I can drive above idle.

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
It shouldn't be too hard to decide. The V12 doesn't have a gas pedal, the V8 does. I'd go for the one I can drive above idle.
It may not start out with a gas pedal. But I do believe it will end with one. It's actually kind of already in the plan. Unless by unbelievable stroke of luck thins work out really good with the original SL600 ECU's. If that happens I'm taking a trip to Vegas.

John Roncallo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
I've seen a couple of w126s with the I-6 and the manual. Neat car, but the w126 weighs quite a bit, and I'd bet the w126 in that setup wouldn't be as light and nimble as the 280SL with the 5-speed. I've driven a w126 280SE, and it's got some pep, but it sure isn't fast.

You know it really is kind of a tough decision. So I say why choose. This is only round 1 prototype. Next iteration 6 speed stick, with gated shifter.

John Roncallo

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,101 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
It's a "dogleg" tranny set up for racing; since track guys don't use first very often, it's put left and low so it's out of the way. When running from a stop sign, it takes longer to make that 1-2 shift than usual - therein lies the downside.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Now that's what I am talking about. If you think big, go all the way. If you were able to fit a V12 on a 107, I don't see why you can't squeeze that one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts