Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AP//Press Release//Auburn Hills, MI -- In a surprise move, just days after a key introduction at the New York Auto Show, the Jeep division has decided to replace the fuel-thirsty 6.1-litre HEMI engine in the new SRT-8 Grand Cherokee edition with a more economic alternative - a turbo version of the popular 4.7-Litre engine. Pilot models of the new SRT-8 Grand Cherokee performed worse than expected in EPA gas mileage tests which prompted the surprise decision. Horsepower is expected to be around 350, almost 20% less than the advertised specification for the 6.1-Litre version.

Citing record fuel prices and the need to retain overall average EPA ratings within the Jeep lineup, Jeep hopes that any sales lost from power-hungry enthusiasts will be gained by those looking for a more economical SUV. The SRT-8 designation will remain, however, and while the newly modified version will not run 0-6 in under 5 seconds, as was advertised for the 6.1, it will still bring respectable numbers according to Thomas Howard, Chief Engineer of design for Jeep.

In addition, starting with 2006 model year production, Jeep will no longer offer the 5.7-Litre engine in the Grand Cherokee Limited models. Instead, a newly tuned-up version of the 4.7 HO engine will replace the HEMI. Said to offer nearly 300 horsepower vs the HEMI's 330, the HO will bring the mileage up nearly 3 mpg and still offer "competitive performance" according to Mr. Howard. The 4.7 HO first appeared in early production models of the 2001 Limited Grand Cherokee and was discontinued from Jeep at the end of the 2004 model year.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, with this trend, i doubt that we will see the continuation of the G-wagen that we love. I am sure that the new G will be more powerful but also more economical (unibody, aerodynamic).

There is no use for a heavy a$$ body-on-frame small box with a big SOHC V8.

·
BenzWorld G Class Host
2002 800RMK
1,518 Posts
Even though the corporate parents are the same, I doubt the MB side is going to take those kinds of measures. There are already a bunch of MB models for sale that incur the gas guzzler tax. MB buyers accept it and buy anyway, after all if you can afford the MB to start with, you can probably afford the pump it full of $2.50+/gallon fuel. The stigma for the Chrysler side is much larger due to a more frugal customer base. They also have to compete with the other domestic brands all of which strive very hard to meet government regs. A 425hp Grand Cherokee is a little absurd anyway, sort of like the G55k. Of course that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one....the G that is[:)]

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
saigonsmuggler - 4/4/2005 8:43 PM

AP//Press Release//Auburn Hills, MI -- In a surprise move, just days after a key introduction at the New York Auto Show, the Jeep division has decided to replace the fuel-thirsty 6.1-litre HEMI engine in the new SRT-8 Grand Cherokee edition with a more economic alternative - a turbo version of the popular 4.7-Litre engine. Pilot models of the new SRT-8 Grand Cherokee performed worse than expected in EPA gas mileage tests which prompted the surprise decision. Horsepower is expected to be around 350, almost 20% less than the advertised specification for the 6.1-Litre version.

Citing record fuel prices and the need to retain overall average EPA ratings within the Jeep lineup, Jeep hopes that any sales lost from power-hungry enthusiasts will be gained by those looking for a more economical SUV. The SRT-8 designation will remain, however, and while the newly modified version will not run 0-6 in under 5 seconds, as was advertised for the 6.1, it will still bring respectable numbers according to Thomas Howard, Chief Engineer of design for Jeep.

In addition, starting with 2006 model year production, Jeep will no longer offer the 5.7-Litre engine in the Grand Cherokee Limited models. Instead, a newly tuned-up version of the 4.7 HO engine will replace the HEMI. Said to offer nearly 300 horsepower vs the HEMI's 330, the HO will bring the mileage up nearly 3 mpg and still offer "competitive performance" according to Mr. Howard. The 4.7 HO first appeared in early production models of the 2001 Limited Grand Cherokee and was discontinued from Jeep at the end of the 2004 model year.
I'm still banging my head against the wall!!!
Why don't they put the diesel in there?
The Diesel has More Power & Better Fuel Economy!

Chuck

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Diesels not bad alternatives to gasoline, especially if MB would distribute a civilian W461. [:D] Nevermind the fact that you have to travel an extra couple of miles to find diesel. [;)]

Also, Chrysler has to compete with foreign and domestic brands that are coming out with hybrid versions of their vehicles (Ford Escape, Honda Accord, Lexus RX, etc.), so it's no surprise to me that they don't want to keep the HEMI in their SUVs.

A friend of mine drives a Dodge Ram powered by the HEMI and ends up pumping roughly $100-120 worth of gasoline per week.

This might sound a bit far off, but perhaps if more automakers change the size of their engines (instead of producing hybrid vehicles) and people end up spending less on gas, it will send a message to the executives in charge of gasoline prices that they need to reduce their prices. Oh yes, ending the war would be nice too. [:)]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts