Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a couple of weeks ago, I was in the garage trying to maneuver some stuff around, and I once again hit the ashtray and scattered cigarette butts and ashes all over the place, and decided it was enough. My problem is, I like smoking. Yes, I know, it's bad for my health and all that, but I'm going to die from something, eventually, and I might as well know what it is. So I explored something I'd read about a year or so ago, and found they've made some serious improvements. And I've been cigarette free for about a week, and don't miss them at all. I'll be throwing out my ashtrays, the butt containers on the front and back porches, and I won't be refilling any of my lighters.

I switched to an electronic cigarette. It gives me my nicotine, but not the tar, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, and all the other 3,997 other hazardous materials that are in cigarettes. I don't even miss them - and that shocks me, because I was a serious addict about my cigarettes. And I don't have the smoke staining my teeth, or the smell that follows me around after I smoke, or the smell on my hands, or full ashtrays, or carrying cigarette butts until I can find a trash can, or any of the other things I really didn't like about smoking.

I'm jazzed.

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
I quit smoking ten or eleven years ago, and have maintained in the past few of years that it has simply been the BEST decision I have ever made, on a number of levels... mental, physical, financial, property-wise and emotionally.

I don't say BEST lightly.

I loved smoking.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Keep going Scott, 8 + years here after it did catch up to me.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560 SL
973 Posts
Best of luck, bud, I think you're on the right track. Think transition, not quitting.

When I smoked 25 years ago, I could never seem to quit cold turkey. I had to start dipping snuff to calm the urge to light up. That lasted another couple of years until I started running regularly. (The US Army upped its physical fitness standards and had began booting out fat, out-of-shape guys.) Gradually I ran more, and dipped less. And when a skiing accident caused me to transition to cycling instead of running, the far longer aerobic sessions it allowed enabled me to stop using tobacco altogether.

So I never really broke the habit--I just learned to substitute less harmful activities over the course of several years. And I still cycle over 100 miles a week now, year round. So in a way, I've still got the habit--but the habit has evolved.

Good road,

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
15 months and holding.

I weaned myself off smokes using Nicorette for 10 months and then weaned myself off Nicorette using regular gum.

I have the odd cigar and I smoked last April on the GTG....but that's it. No real urges anymore.

I really can't believe I did it.

Keep it up Scott....die of alcoholism instead.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Live hard, die young, be a good lookin corpse.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
That's rough, having asthma I can't smoke as much as I'd like. I used to smoke cigars but I can't even handle them now. The taste of soot, tar, and smoke is very enticing though.

Good luck Scott, to hell with smoke. Just think finally you can thank the chinese for inventing something instead of ripping something off. I read the article about the inventor.

·
29,512 Posts
I can't smoke as much as I'd like. The taste of soot, tar, and smoke is very enticing though.
Do I need to actually comment on this?

·
Registered
1987 560SL
3,524 Posts
I don't have the will power yet. I've cut back to less than half a pack a day, but I've substituted dip for when i can't smoke...like while at work.

Perhaps the future will hold different things for me...

·
Registered
71 R107 350 SL. 03 Nissan 350Z. 07 Merc C200
637 Posts
I don't have the will power yet. I've cut back to less than half a pack a day, but I've substituted dip for when i can't smoke...like while at work.

Perhaps the future will hold different things for me...
At least there's one smoker here as well as me...
Heart attack + Two stents..still puffing away...

·
29,512 Posts
At least there's one smoker here as well as me...
Heart attack + Two stents..still puffing away...
I HAD a co-worker with a cancerous growth removed from a lung, had radiation and chemo and returned to work.

Smoking.

Dead at 64.....didn't make pension.

He spent his lunches smoking and reading the bible.
He was positive the Lord would take care of him and his family.
I hope he was right.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,251 Posts
Nice work Scott! Any word on the development of an electronic jar of peanut butter?

·
Registered
71 R107 350 SL. 03 Nissan 350Z. 07 Merc C200
637 Posts
I HAD a co-worker with a cancerous growth removed from a lung, had radiation and chemo and returned to work.

Smoking.

Dead at 64.....didn't make pension.

He spent his lunches smoking and reading the bible.
He was positive the Lord would take care of him and his family.
I hope he was right.
Oh well three score years and four...enough?

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,355 Posts
I was a serious addict for 30 years until my wife and kids nagged me into becoming a secret smoker. I was like a guilty schoolboy, sneaking smokes at every opportunity. I don't know how I imagined I was fooling anyone, since I still smelled like an ashtray, but smoking isn't rational anyway. You just have to see smokers huddled outside in sub-zero weather to realize that.
I finally quit altogether about 12 years ago after a mammoth smoking binge one weekend away on my own. I get the occasional yearning when someone lights up at a party, but I know a single smoke would be my downfall.
You can do it Scott.

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 1973 450SLC
2,174 Posts
I've been smokefree for five weeks, three days and twenty one hours, give or taka a few minutes, but who counting.

I've been smoking on and off since 1970, quit for over seven years not so long ago but the divorce and a death in the family was all it took for a good excuse. I know it's not good for you, expencive, bla bla bla, but I realy do like them, and I know that I can never touch one again. The patch works for me, alot of will power.

It is nice not caughing and weezing myself to sleep..... :)

·
Registered
1976 450 SLC. (working, in need of paint)/1987 300E/1989 635 CSI/2004 Honda Element (appliance)
142 Posts
This is starting to look like smokers anonymous.... :D
Quit smoking about 10 years ago, and not even Sept 11 made me go back.
It was the hardest 3 days of my life. Every time I though about smoking, I would look back at those 3 days and say the hell with it, I am not doing that again!
Now, I can smell a smoke if I am in traffic, and the person in front of me is smoking. I hate the smell.
I have become the opposite of what I once was, but I think that the behaviour is the same.
Good luck with the e-cigarette. The problem is that the nicotine is still attacking your heart, and other organs (G.I., Brain, etc).

·
Registered
1988 560SL, 1979 Triumph Spitfire
99 Posts
My GF quit because I asked

About 10 years ago, my GF asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I told her the only present I wanted from her was a commitment to stop smoking.

She did. That first year was the hardest ... on me. I was on the receiving end of a lot of her stress while she worked hard to get off it.

Fast forward ... just last week she ran the Honolulu Marathon, her fifth. Outside of the marathons, she runs 15 to 20 miles a week. Her goal for next year: Improve her golf game. This time, I think I won't groan as much.

Congratulations, Scott!

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
About 10 years ago, my GF asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I told her the only present I wanted from her was a commitment to stop smoking.

She did. That first year was the hardest ... on me. I was on the receiving end of a lot of her stress while she worked hard to get off it.

Fast forward ... just last week she ran the Honolulu Marathon, her fifth. Outside of the marathons, she runs 15 to 20 miles a week. Her goal for next year: Improve her golf game. This time, I think I won't groan as much.

Congratulations, Scott!

Wow bk, that's a great story! Good for you, and good for her!!

I wouldn't even date a girl who smoked...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts