Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Forum is "library quiet" ... so anyone wants to discuss Chainsaws?

3 years ago I purchased a Chinese Chainsaw off Ebay and have been finding interesting videos on YouTube
about them along with interesting tree cutting, tune up, and sharpening videos.

I don't cut enough wood to justify a Stihl Chainsaw but found my $80 chainsaw purchase to have been an excellent purchase.

Any of you guys have an interest in Chainsaws?

BTW, tool technology is changing faster than I realized.
Not long ago I noted that there are Battery powered Chainsaws, and just yesterday saw a Home Depot advertisement for a battery powered Zero Turn Lawn Mower that can mow 3 acres on a single charge.
Where is all this going????

·
Registered
'73 450 SLC / '74 450 SL / '01 ML55
466 Posts

3 years ago I purchased a Chinese Chainsaw off Ebay and have been finding interesting videos on YouTube

I don't cut enough wood to justify a Stihl Chainsaw but found my $80 chainsaw purchase to have been an excellent purchase.

Not long ago I noted that there are Battery powered Chainsaws, and just yesterday saw a Home Depot advertisement for a battery powered Zero Turn Lawn Mower that can mow 3 acres on a single charge.
Straight to your wallet. One of my customers is a body shop, customers kid ran over a bear cub in the high end EV. Battery pack was destroyed and had to be replaced. $16,000.00 invoice from OEM + freight & install. Ouch!

·
Registered
1988 560SL, 1969 280SL(113)
105 Posts

I have been using a Husqvarna in Italy with an 18" bar for heavy duty cutting for the last 10 years are so. Not cheap but it and the Stihl are the choice of the woodsmen. I also have a small "no name" saw with a 12 inch bar for lopping off branches and light trimming. I don't own one, but the small battery models are good for light work. I am burning less wood lately so my saw usage is down. Living part time in the country, a reliable saw is a must for the tool shed.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,766 Posts
Chain Saw for men

Some one brought one of these in for service one day. It has a steel cable for the recoil rope. Baddest ass chain saw I ever saw. The chain had teeth the size of a great white shark.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, here's an entertaining YouTube video.
Buckin' Billy Ray is a woodsman who really likes his McCulloch chainsaw.
He's a bit intense and quite a character and has a large number of videos in his YouTube channel.
I learned a lot about the proper way to sharpen a chain, and the proper way to fell a tree.

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,514 Posts
My first chainsaw was a fairly small Homelite which was a hand-me-down back in the 1980's. It didn't work very well and I never had much use for it.
A few years later, however, I decided to get something better to cut up downed trees in the wooded area of our property and ended up buying a Husqvarna. I seem to remember it was an 18" bar, but not sure. Trouble was, I couldn't keep the damned thing sharp, and it chronically pulled to the left (or right?) while cutting.
In the end, my solution over the past 20-30 years has been to alert my son to stop by with his Stihl which is much larger, more efficient, and he is a much more proficient operator.
Should have kept the wood chipper, however, to handle all the smaller limbs. Oh well...I'm in my 70's and don't really give a crap about the wooded area anymore!

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,158 Posts
I have a Husqvarna that I bought in 1998 after the Ice Storm. Still works great. Key to longevity is to empty the fuel tank and run it dry if you're not going to use it for a while.
I now also have a Milwaukee battery operated chainsaw with a 16" bar. The battery outlasts the bar oil tank....and I have 3 batteries...one 12 amp and two 9 amp. I can go all day.
And it is STEALTH....your neighbors won't hear a thing :)
I have a spare sharp chain for both in case I pooch one.....but I sharpen the installed ones freehand on the fly.
The Milwaukee is good for 8 inches or less.....anything bigger and it slows down.

·
Registered
1974 450SL, Dark_Blue/Parchment
194 Posts
Recently purchased a 16 inch 40 volt brushless Ryobi chainsaw. Only need it for occasional light work and it has worked well so far. Also very quiet compared to gas models, neighbors certainly appreciate that! Had a large (10 inch plus) branch fall and it cleaned it up without a hitch.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like the roots on that Tree were cut first to be safe.
Trees have been known to spring back upright once some limbs and/or part of the trunk is cut.
Its because the roots can be under tension and could pull the tree upright.
Back in 1989 after Hurricane Hugo blew through this area a home owner dealing with a tree let his toddler son play in the hole created by a downed tree. As the Dad was cutting on the Tree it sprang upward killing his son. Sad story.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,015 Posts
When we first moved into our current house (about 40 yrs ago!), we installed a small Jotul wood stove to supplement the electric baseboard heat. Wood stoves were the in-thing back then. A friend of mine and I would spend most winter Saturdays lumberjacking. The govt would mark trees that they wanted cut on their forested land. We would get two pickups worth. Had to sled the logs out of the woods then take them home for further cutting and splitting. Later we burned the wood. As they say - Wood warms you twice.
I still have my saw and it still works well. It is a Pioneer, made in Peterborough, Ontario (Company acquired later by Husqvarna/Electrolux company in 1979). Something like the one below. I am amazed how well it starts even after all these years. This even with old mixed 2-cycle gas that my outboard doesn't like :) Change the chain and plug from time to time and that's about all. Only use it now when a tree limb falls. My neighbor still burns wood, so we cut those limbs to length and pass them over the fence.

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,769 Posts
I used to cut wood with my grandfather; great memories. He had one of the first Husqvarna saws I ever used. I learned how to sharpen chainsaw blades because he made me do it if I accidentally dipped that blade into turf cutting low on a stump - a task he also made me do because I was a teenager and he was not limber enough to do it.

I bought a 21" Craftsman when I first moved to New Mexico - think of my gramps every time I look at that saw.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use to burn wood ... gotten fancy with the Gas Logs we installed in the fireplace.
Still cut wood though and take it over to the next door neighbor who still burns.
I've never owned a "profesional" saw - just some cheapies - a Craftsman that served
me for 4 decades and then a Poulan that lasted about a year. Both lost compression
due to piston scaring. Now I have an even cheaper Chinese 52cc with 20" bar that
I purchased 3 years ago off Ebay for $79. I am enthralled with this saw and it
looks like its going to be a good one. I need to remove the
Muffler and see how the pistons are faring. Mixture is an odd 25:1 but that's not a show stopper
and it still easily starts.

·
Premium Member
1987 560SL
2,311 Posts
Looks like the roots on that Tree were cut first to be safe.
A good diagnosis, but quite the opposite took place. We heard explosions in the middle of the night, it was the sound of the roots popping underground. This 138 year old beech tree finally gave way to the wind. It fell directly between my house and the garage. It somehow knew to crush my Infiniti Q45 that I had let the insurance lapse just two weeks prior. The good news is I did not need to grind or burn out the stump. It took a crew of six men two days to chop it up. The tree company owner said it was the biggest beech he ever saw in his 35 years of cutting. My neighbor, who uses a wood furnace exclusively, got two years of heat out of this one tree. I miss the tree, and in return the tree missed me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts