Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know some of you know quite a bit about sound systems and my son is getting his first car and wants help deciding what cd player/receiver to buy. I think that his budget is around 100 to 150 for the head unit.

Any recomendations? Or should we just go to Circuit city and see what they have?

Jeff

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
First thing i do, if im gona be driving a car for a wile is put an alpine in it, Ive had literally 100,s of them with zero probs.

great sound, great look,work forever.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Jeff Kushner said:
Any recomendations? Or should we just go to Circuit city and see what they have?

Jeff
What's more important: features like Ipod, XM, cool display ? Or the best sound Quality ?
features=Alpine
Sound = Nakamichi.

Buy online and have him install it himself.

BTW, i have Nakamichi Cd45z from my old Fold - if you interested we can work something out

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
Nakamichi for $100-$150 !!

I love the sound out of alpine HU's :D

Best go hear a few diff sets, and see how they sound, every one like diff sound

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
1,248 Posts
There are some with USB connectors on them. If I were getting one that is something I would look for. Almost any MP3 player has a USB hook up.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Alpine. Available at Best Buy, Crutchfield.com, etc. Nakamichi is not a major brand in USA...about the only way to get one is on eBay. And given my luck with ebay purchases lately...fuhgeddaboudit.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
page62 said:
Alpine. Available at Best Buy, Crutchfield.com, etc. Nakamichi is not a major brand in USA...about the only way to get one is on eBay. And given my luck with ebay purchases lately...fuhgeddaboudit.
Nakamichi is more like high end brand - that's why they not a major. There are some high end places that cary they car stereo line.

:: Nakamichi ::

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Kirill said:
Nakamichi is more like high end brand - that's why they not a major. There are some high end places that cary they car stereo line.

:: Nakamichi ::
Nice website. But they don't even have a USA distributor -- the nearest one is in Canada (which ain't no crime, I admit). Nor do they have a dealer network of any significance in this country.

I admit that Nakamichi makes great stuff -- I've been familiar with their products since the '70s. But what happens when you buy one of their units off ebay and it's DOA???

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
1,248 Posts
Years ago I had a Nakamichi tape deck paired up with 8 250 watt Zapco amps and a fold away 18 band Zapco EQ. 4, 15 inch Yamaha PA's 10, 12inch Peavy black widows and two Celestion horn mid tweeters. crammed in a 68 RS camaro. No back seat.

I have a hearing loss and a driving record to prove it :) That Nakamichi kicked ass back then and it is sitting in my brothers car right now. They make a quality product that cant be beat IMO.

Zapco EQ's are one of the best around. Zapco, your automotive audio experts

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
page62 said:
Nice website. But they don't even have a USA distributor -- the nearest one is in Canada (which ain't no crime, I admit). Nor do they have a dealer network of any significance in this country.

I admit that Nakamichi makes great stuff -- I've been familiar with their products since the '70s. But what happens when you buy one of their units off ebay and it's DOA???
Why Ebay ?
There are many places to buy it
Nakamichi MB-X CD Players
Nakamichi CD-400 AM/FM/CD Receiver CD400 - CD-400
Nakamichi CD-300 In-Dash CD/MP3 Receiver CD300 - CD-300
Nakamichi CD-500 In-Dash CD/MP3 Changer and Receiver

·
Registered
5 Posts
For Quality i can definitely suggest Becker radio/CD . I have a Becker Grand Prix and is definitely the best tuner i have ever heard , also the cd / mp3 quality is excellent and it's very rugged radio.
Unfortunately the price is not as popular ad low end Alpine....

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, I knew that you guys could help him and I out.......cause while he has a few hundred saved, you know that Dad's gonna end up helping him out<lol>

Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts